R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Looking for a nitro car need help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/62950-looking-nitro-car-need-help.html)

racer034life 02-11-2005 11:34 AM

Looking for a nitro car need help

I just got my pro 2 about 4 months ago and i like it alot. But i wanted to know what would be a good nitro chassis. I have seen the hpi R40 and the trinty reflex but i dont know which one i would want. if possible can you all give me some good and some bads about these to chassis.
thank you

Marcos.J 02-11-2005 11:55 AM

Re: Looking for a nitro car need help

Originally posted by racer034life
I just got my pro 2 about 4 months ago and i like it alot. But i wanted to know what would be a good nitro chassis. I have seen the hpi R40 and the trinty reflex but i dont know which one i would want. if possible can you all give me some good and some bads about these to chassis.
thank you

either one the Hpi is probably easier to get parts

racer034life 02-11-2005 12:15 PM

thanks..i just looking a a r40 on the net and it looks like a really easy car to work on and race

Clegg 02-11-2005 02:33 PM

I would recommend a Kyosho FW-05RR, but the parts supply in the US sucks for it currently. Most parts need to be ordered over sea's to get them :(

HPI parts are quite redily available, I question the quality of many of the HPI parts but overall the R40 2004 spec seems pretty good.

I'll stick to my Kyosho though ;)

racer034life 02-11-2005 10:12 PM

not really a fan of Kyosho cars there isnt alot of support here in ohio that i know of. Plus i have heard that they are some what hard to set up

Clegg 02-11-2005 10:18 PM

All cars at a competative level are hard to setup :) Thats what makes em competative, if they were easy everyone would be in the A :D

racer034life 02-11-2005 10:19 PM

Thats every true i do see your point

Rapid Roy 02-12-2005 02:12 AM

I think that the R40 is an easy car to setup and drive. The settings in the manual are really good starting point. There are also Hara's setups from the 1st place finishes from the nationals the last 2 years on HPI's website.

Marcos.J 02-12-2005 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Clegg
I would recommend a Kyosho FW-05RR, but the parts supply in the US sucks for it currently. Most parts need to be ordered over sea's to get them :(

HPI parts are quite redily available, I question the quality of many of the HPI parts but overall the R40 2004 spec seems pretty good.

I'll stick to my Kyosho though ;)

:nod: i love the FW-05R(RR CONVERSION)
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/terri/Picturecar052.jpg
here it is ready to race!
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/terri/Picturecar0611.jpg

bballer 02-12-2005 07:52 PM

for a starter, the r40 would be perfect. Parts support is an issue, like with my g4 its hard to wait a week to get replacements

racer034life 02-12-2005 08:32 PM

yea see this is my first competitive nitro chassis and i want a car i can get parts for some what easy and here in ohio hpi parts are easy to get but the hpi car comes in heavy to others like the serpent 710 or even the FW-05RR so i really dont know what to do.

Marcos.J 02-12-2005 08:38 PM

yea see this is my first competitive nitro chassis and i want a car i can get parts for some what easy and here in ohio hpi parts are easy to get but the hpi car comes in heavy to others like the serpent 710 or even the FW-05RR so i really dont know what to do.
i had the r40 is a nice car parts are easy to get , FW-05R i think is a better car in my opinion and it suits my driving style.

racer034life 02-13-2005 04:17 PM

So what about the hpi racer2 i have seen a few of these for sale could i buy one of this and be competitive if i where to use foam tires or can this car even take foam tires. I am just not looking to drop a grand for a new car when i have only driven a nitro car once

Also why is the r40 so heavy and also for the same price of a serpent 710 you can have a fully hop-upped r40 for the same price

racer034life 02-13-2005 04:23 PM

So what about the hpi racer2 i have seen a few of these for sale could i buy one of this and be competitive if i where to use foam tires or can this car even take foam tires. I am just not looking to drop a grand for a new car when i have only driven a nitro car once

Also why is the r40 so heavy and also for the same price of a serpent 710 you can have a fully hop-upped r40 for the same price

Rapid Roy 02-13-2005 10:50 PM

Don't bother with the racer2 if you want to race. It's not in the same league with the R40. I raced a racer2 for years and used it as all the other MFG's came out with new generation cars. Don't get me wrong, I really like the racer2, but it just doesn't have the adjustments you need to race with the newer cars. If you are worried about the weight, get the 2004 spec kit from overseas.

Beleive it or not, a heavier car is easier to drive.

racer034life 02-13-2005 10:57 PM

I can see that but i dont have 400 just got a chassis. Plus this is my first ever nitro touring car so I am not really trying to go pro but maybe just keep up with the field or stay mid pack for a while in tell i get my driving skill up.

racer034life 02-16-2005 08:11 PM

OK so I was at my LHS today and a few guys walked in. one had a FW-05RR and the other had a Ntc3. Both said there cars where good but i say that the ntc3 had some easy ways to tune the car so did the FW but I have heard that you have to mod the Fw to fit foams is this true and man this really sucks i cant think of what car i want.

Rapid Roy 02-17-2005 11:45 AM

If you are trying to get the price of the kit down you might be looking at it the wrong way. I'm assuming that you don't have a lot of race experiance. If so, then you want to get a car that is strong, easy to set up, and parts are cheap and easy to get. I have a Serpent 705 and 2 HPI r40s. I had the Serpent before I got the R40's. In one race, I crashed and broke the rear shock tower, rear arm and the front knuckle. I also bent one of the pivot balls. It cost me over $80 to get the car back together. Another time I was practicing at the track and broke 3 front knuckles. (you'd think I'd learn a bit faster) At $12 per knuckle it ads up fast. If I broke the same parts on the R40, it would have cost me 1/3 for the parts.

I happen to like the R40, but you can make your own choice. Just find a strong car with plentiful cheap parts and you'll be set.

Neil 02-18-2005 09:12 PM

The NTC3 is a very solid platform to start from. You should have no trouble getting parts either.

FW-05RR 02-18-2005 09:53 PM

Re: Looking for a nitro car need help

thank you

look at my sig

there is your answer:nod:

subman 02-18-2005 11:51 PM

I would go with the NTC3 great all round car very competative, great parts availability (sp) and fairly cheap to buy.

racer034life 02-19-2005 01:13 AM

yea i am down between the R40 and the Ntc3 so we will see i have found a few Ntc3 for sale in my price rang so i may just go with that one i do want to see how the Ntc3 runs on foam tires.
But since the R40 is some what easy to put to gether like all HPI cars and there parts are carried almost every where it woundt be a bad choice. Also the R4o was made to handle the foam so we will see

subman 02-19-2005 07:21 AM

Foams?

I have only run foams on my NTC3.
It works great with foams!

Car Breaker 02-20-2005 10:44 PM

yea i am down between the R40 and the Ntc3 so we will see i have found a few Ntc3 for sale in my price rang so i may just go with that one i do want to see how the Ntc3 runs on foam tires.
But since the R40 is some what easy to put to gether like all HPI cars and there parts are carried almost every where it woundt be a bad choice. Also the R4o was made to handle the foam so we will see

In my Opinion, NTC3 is better, easier to maintain, tolerance in engine chioce. most important, better material, R40 isn't that good in their plastic parts and their screws sucks. it is true that R40 is easy to tune and drive but other thing is just not as good as NTC3

racer034life 02-20-2005 10:52 PM

cool cool will looks like i will be getting a nitro tc3 as soon as possible

SpeedChair 02-21-2005 11:17 AM

I really suggest you go to the local track and see what most guys are running. If no one is running NTC3, then they won't be able to help you much on setups.

One of the best cars out there is still the Mugen MTX-3, durable, easy to tune, and VERY competitive.

Also, make sure your local hobby shops has parts availability for the car you're planning to buy. Not a major issue since there's so many online shops you can buy from.

Rapid Roy 02-21-2005 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Car Breaker
In my Opinion, NTC3 is better, easier to maintain, tolerance in engine chioce. most important, better material, R40 isn't that good in their plastic parts and their screws sucks. it is true that R40 is easy to tune and drive but other thing is just not as good as NTC3
Not sure where you get your information, but the plastic in the R40 is top notch. To post that the plastic sucks is just not true.

When you say the screws suck, I'm assuming that you are refering to the fact the HPI uses phillips head screws instead of hex head screws. I have a Yokomo, and a Serpent along with my R40 and various older HPI cars. You just need a good quility philips head screw driver and its not a problem. More of a personal choice.

caleracer45 02-21-2005 01:28 PM

I am also looking to get a nitro car for the 1st time, I'm a Associated guy I was just wondering, How competive are the RTR NTC? Or would I be better for just getting of the kit. I know the kits are better but how much better?

Rapid Roy 02-21-2005 01:31 PM

Originally posted by caleracer45
I am also looking to get a nitro car for the 1st time, I'm a Associated guy I was just wondering, How competive are the RTR NTC? Or would I be better for just getting of the kit. I know the kits are better but how much better?
The kits usually have upgraded parts. If you have been racing electric for a while, you are probably going to be better off with a team kit. Buying the kit along with the hopups is way cheaper then getting the rtr and upgrading later. If you are still new to rc racing in general, then the RTR may be a good choice, especially if your money is limited.

caleracer45 02-21-2005 01:50 PM

Yeah I figured that buy the factory team kit would probably be cheaper in the long run, rather than having to buy everything to get a RTR race competive.

racer034life 02-21-2005 02:35 PM

Yea i think the Ntc3 is going to be my choice but i just have to learn to tune a nitro motor. i have been raing my hpi pro2 for about a could months so we will see or i may wait to see if a Ntc4 comes out

Clegg 02-21-2005 02:56 PM

Ive owned a few nitro HPI cars, and yes the plastic quality leaves much to be desired. Also the fit of the parts on HPI's are also hit/miss. It would seem every part I have bought for an HPI fits slightly different than the part before.

I love HPI's but ... they have their issues and their issues are their materials. ANd yes the screws suck, but no more th an any kit's screws do out of the box.

fastharry™ 02-21-2005 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Car Breaker

the R40 plastic is great.....I've taken my car apart 10 times,and every screw hole still tightens.....My nitro tc3 sometimes strips in the second go around....the r40 is sturdier...does not tweak(needing re trimming in the steering) when you glance a board....and has a ton more steering.....(and by the way..the r40 is a more stable platform than the tc3 also...)

I have absolutely NO interest in running my tc3's and longer...sold one,the other one is going in the upcoming season....

racer034life 02-21-2005 05:12 PM

yea i was watching the nats race or something today and the ntc2 with barry baker was in there the car handled will but you could here the car get of te throttle alot to keep it stable around the corners. but hara R40 it was smoken those turns when he was at the IMFAR in 2004. So will see what i can do i may see if i can test drive them both and go from there

Clegg 02-21-2005 05:16 PM

fast harry, you should make it a goal to make posts at least as big as your annoying sig.

just pointint that out.

fastharry™ 02-21-2005 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Clegg
fast harry, you should make it a goal to make posts at least as big as your annoying sig.

just pointint that out.

if you go to the control panel,you can find thread view options where you can block out people's signatures.....I've already done it for avatars so I don't have to look at your cranky looking face in your annoying self portrait avatar....just pointin"G" that out..

racer034life 02-21-2005 08:32 PM

Ding ding ding lets Fight!!!!! ok cool thanks for all the info guys and lets keep it on the track

jrabbito 02-22-2005 08:34 AM

on the R40 Fastharry maybe you can clarify a few things for the thread starter. The R40 in STD trim is heavy (I have heard). What in the way of hopups does it take to get it to a competative weight?

racer034life - Part of the reason the R40 was quick there was the driver. Hara is unbeleivable. BUT he wasn't the fastest there....I have also heard that to get your car to that spec would be very $$$$, but maybe Harry can clarify that.

That being said the NTC3 has done NOTHING at recent events. They didn't even attend the Winternats and Barry Baker went home at the Worlds. Right now they seem a bit behind, BUT if you are not racing at the national level then I must say that it is a VERY easy car to work on. A shaft system requires less maintenance then a belt system.

May I ask why your choice is so limited? You have left out quite a few manufacturers with great cars.

Ciao,

John

Rapid Roy 02-22-2005 10:49 AM

You can get the 2004 spec R40 from overseas for $350 or so that has all the lightened options already on it. There is also a kit available to convert the US standard version to the 04 spec.

Marcos.J 02-22-2005 11:50 AM

Originally posted by fastharry
if you go to the control panel,you can find thread view options where you can block out people's signatures.....I've already done it for avatars so I don't have to look at your cranky looking face in your annoying self portrait avatar....just pointin"G" that out..
Hey Harry nice picture!
http://www.mirageracing.com/graphics.../PICT0116f.jpg