Search
Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cilal
Thanks for the response. That's what I thought! my front shocks were catching, but then others have said their front wasn't catching (I dunno how) and they thought that the rear was meant to be longer to make up the offset in the new lower mounts. It made sense too. Maybe both should be extended?? I also noticed that with the longer mounts on the front, my shocks (when viewed from the side) are now at 90 degrees to the front arms, so as to say they are perfectly lined up to take the shock as opposed to being laid back with the front tower.

I also much prefer the older mounts too, but the new towers have smaller holes so can't use them. the old seem More sturdy and much easier to take off for maintenance. I wonder if serpent will rectify the issue regarding the 30mm screw having too much flat on the new one.

I ended up not trusting myself to drill out the shock mount, and went with a shorter screw for the tower side & the original screw for the other.

Thanks again.
I don't know others but on my GT3.1 (that I have ran for a 30 minutes race) the long stand off and that long 30mm screws are for the REAR SHOCK. The shorter screw and shorter stand off are for the FRONT SHOCK. It is exactly like the GT3.0 design...except, on Serpent page, they are using the GT3.1 design with the original 2 screws in design (both 3mm screws going to the shock tower and the end of the shock).

I will go home and take a picture of mine...........there is NO OTHER WAY around it, I cannot get the LONG standoff mount to the front or the other way around.

NOW..........about that long 30mm screws, like I have mentioned 2-3 pages back, it is weird....you think you screw all the way in and it stop and leave you 3-5mm space (just like your 1st pic), actually, SCREW IT IN HARDER and it will thread the aluminum in and it will go all the way. I have measured my rear shock screws and in fact it is a 30mm screws.......like I said, keep turn it in (you won't strip a 2.5mm socket head).....it will go in.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
I don't know others but on my GT3.1 (that I have ran for a 30 minutes race) the long stand off and that long 30mm screws are for the REAR SHOCK. The shorter screw and shorter stand off are for the FRONT SHOCK. It is exactly like the GT3.0 design...except, on Serpent page, they are using the GT3.1 design with the original 2 screws in design (both 3mm screws going to the shock tower and the end of the shock).

I will go home and take a picture of mine...........there is NO OTHER WAY around it, I cannot get the LONG standoff mount to the front or the other way around.

NOW..........about that long 30mm screws, like I have mentioned 2-3 pages back, it is weird....you think you screw all the way in and it stop and leave you 3-5mm space (just like your 1st pic), actually, SCREW IT IN HARDER and it will thread the aluminum in and it will go all the way. I have measured my rear shock screws and in fact it is a 30mm screws.......like I said, keep turn it in (you won't strip a 2.5mm socket head).....it will go in.
Like I said just keep screwing it in and it will thread in. Long standoff for the rear and short standoff for the front.

Front shock

Rear standoff before screw it all the way in

Rear shock with long stand off align with lower shock mount

Rear standoff thread all the in
scary_jerry likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Awesome photos solara.
I tried screwing in the 30mm and even with every bit of strength I have, mine wouldn't go in. It literally jammed and can't physically go past 2mm gap.
So I stuck with on the serpent page.

See the photo of your front shocks, the Spring looks like it's touching the camber link plastic bit. Mine and some friends was touching on both springs. Catching basically unless using the uppermost holes on the shock tower to give clearance.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Like I said just keep screwing it in and it will thread in. Long standoff for the rear and short standoff for the front.

Front shock

Rear standoff before screw it all the way in

Rear shock with long stand off align with lower shock mount

Rear standoff thread all the in
Hey Solara, are you getting that 'death ring' on the tires at 'Liesure Hobbies Track' ??

Is that the stock '#3' Akerman arm ?? Have you tried the #2 at all ?? Or is that something New/Different with the 3/3.1 ??
Old 10-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Tech Champion

Awesome photos solara.
I tried screwing in the 30mm and even with every bit of strength I have, mine wouldn't go in. It literally jammed and can't physically go past 2mm gap.
So I stuck with on the serpent page.

See the photo of your front shocks, the Spring looks like it's touching the camber link plastic bit. Mine and some friends was touching on both springs. Catching basically unless using the uppermost holes on the shock tower to give clearance.
Nope, not touching at all, no matter which hole I am using, and I am using the most inner holes on the front, not touch, far from touching.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Hey Solara, are you getting that 'death ring' on the tires at 'Liesure Hobbies Track' ??

Is that the stock '#3' Akerman arm ?? Have you tried the #2 at all ?? Or is that something New/Different with the 3/3.1 ??
Yes it was from that track, however, I think those are some last year old spec arrowmax/sweep tires.........I have the new tires but does not have the chance to run it and see I have that good old death ring on the tires...I hope it is the tire.

I am using the optional #3 akerman arm per everyone's 3.1 setup...like Paolo. Never have to change it nor I need to or will help to prevent the death ring on the tires.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Question

I Have a Couple of Question.

Do you guys try the over drive on the front 43 t ? SER600892

And also any one try the rear arm of SRX8 SER600895 I think maybe its fitson the 3.1 its better than the stock one.

Thanks Eduardo
Old 10-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by race_line
I Have a Couple of Question.

Do you guys try the over drive on the front 43 t ? SER600892

And also any one try the rear arm of SRX8 SER600895 I think maybe its fitson the 3.1 its better than the stock one.

Thanks Eduardo
No and No. just run the new hard arms for the 811 GT.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Yes it was from that track, however, I think those are some last year old spec arrowmax/sweep tires.........I have the new tires but does not have the chance to run it and see I have that good old death ring on the tires...I hope it is the tire.

I am using the optional #3 akerman arm per everyone's 3.1 setup...like Paolo. Never have to change it nor I need to or will help to prevent the death ring on the tires.
When I was told my 1.0+ (with 0*-0* carriers and knuckles) was 'pushing', Mike from 'Leisure' set me up with the #2 and made a world of difference. But now I've raced a much smaller track in CA and feel the need to try the #1.
Seeing that tire wear makes me remember the last set of GQ tires I had left and ran them till I had a 'NASCAR' style blowout......it really came apart but I had taxed it beyond the 'death ring'. 😳
Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
When I was told my 1.0+ (with 0*-0* carriers and knuckles) was 'pushing', Mike from 'Leisure' set me up with the #2 and made a world of difference. But now I've raced a much smaller track in CA and feel the need to try the #1.
Seeing that tire wear makes me remember the last set of GQ tires I had left and ran them till I had a 'NASCAR' style blowout......it really came apart but I had taxed it beyond the 'death ring'. 😳
Serpent site said, #1 will give you more off power steering, and #3 will give you more on power steering. So it is all depends on where you want more steering.....
Old 10-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Serpent site said, #1 will give you more off power steering, and #3 will give you more on power steering. So it is all depends on where you want more steering.....
BINGO.....that's what I was wondering. You just painted the picture I needed. It was like I had to give the car a special invitation to turn-in.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just bought a set of the srx8 pro brakes and the discs are super tight when fitting onto the outdrives. They fit but I need to use a lot of strength to get them on and once on the disc is set in place, absolutely no movement/wiggle to it. Anybody got any ideas? The original brake set had a tiny bit of give, as any brake disc should.. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Initiate

I just bought a set of the srx8 pro brakes and the discs are super tight when fitting onto the outdrives. They fit but I need to use a lot of strength to get them on and once on the disc is set in place, absolutely no movement/wiggle to it. Anybody got any ideas? The original brake set had a tiny bit of give, as any brake disc should.. Any ideas?
You probably need to de-bur your outdrives. The dogbone pins can raise the edge of the outdrive causing the problem you are describing. Take a file to the slotted edge of the outdrive and make sure it's smooth and flat.
dan_vector and wkloppen like this.

Last edited by Ren13B; 11-07-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ren13B
You probably need to de-bur your outdrives. The dogbone pins can raise the edge of the outdrive causing the problem your describing. Take a file to the slotted edge of the outdrive and make sure it's smooth and flat.
What he said!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone know when the GT 3.1 will be available to purchase?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.