R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Serpent Cobra GT (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/594770-serpent-cobra-gt.html)

dan_vector 03-19-2017 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by teo1213 (Post 14873923)
My front brake is locked up is just cuz the stock brake just not good? Or is it something I did/didn't do?

Take it out and strip, clean and inspect. The stock brake is fine so it could just be a stone or dirt preventing the pad from relaxing back.

teo1213 03-19-2017 12:57 PM

Thanks Dan

teo1213 03-19-2017 12:58 PM

Thanks for servo advice too!!

TT120 03-20-2017 08:46 AM

Are there any lower engine mounts I can use? I have a 1.0 kit with the stock engine mounts and the engine sits up too high so the starter box wheel wont engage the flywheel. I have the stock flywheel in there now and it's a little smaller than the Buku I had in there before that had the same problem. It looks like I might have to get a pull starter for the engine.

Paolo M 03-20-2017 02:33 PM

New bumper for Serpent Cobra GT available now. Made out flexible material, it doesn't brake in case of an impact and gives you more steering. Direct fit, no modification necessary.

You can get it at:

Plastic Bumper for Serpent Cobra GT

teo1213 03-23-2017 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting car ready for my first day on track tomorrow have not ran car with body wanted to ask if you guys felt need a hole in windshield the windows and back window all cut out but windshield is solid thanks for any info.

KR145 03-23-2017 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by teo1213 (Post 14878589)
Getting car ready for my first day on track tomorrow have not ran car with body wanted to ask if you guys felt need a hole in windshield the windows and back window all cut out but windshield is solid thanks for any info.

I like a small hole to run a zip tie thru so you can pull open the fuel tank lid for fueling.. The bigger hole on top was to try a fuel gun. Side window cut out for fuel bottle...that's all personal preference really.

teo1213 03-23-2017 12:02 PM

Sweet thanks

British Menace 03-23-2017 12:12 PM

I hope you have fun at the track Teo1213. Wish I could come with :cry:

Regards
BM

teo1213 03-23-2017 04:53 PM

Sweet thanks yea be glad to see a someone with one of these for some insight

teo1213 03-23-2017 08:11 PM

I have a question I was running today and I don't seem to be shifting into 2nd or I am staying in 2nd whole time I just got the 1.0 springs for clutch and a bunch of spares to make it more track ready been breaking it in stock to get a base line. Is just me not being able to tell or is something off? I'm new to this sorry for all the newb questions

Rick Davis 03-24-2017 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by teo1213 (Post 14879035)
I have a question I was running today and I don't seem to be shifting into 2nd or I am staying in 2nd whole time I just got the 1.0 springs for clutch and a bunch of spares to make it more track ready been breaking it in stock to get a base line. Is just me not being able to tell or is something off? I'm new to this sorry for all the newb questions

If you're in break in mode it's very likely that the trans is not shifting , as you start leaning out you should start seeing it shift , if you still don't try backing off the adjust screws in small increments. to verify if it is shifting very early if you check the 2 speed shoes and bell you can see signs of contact if it's shifting. Note: the two speed shoes and bell must be oil free - the trans depends on the friction between the shoes and bell to complete the shift and lock in and if there is any oil it will just slide making a perfectly adjusted trans not shift.

teo1213 03-24-2017 07:39 AM

Great info will do thanks!!!!

teo1213 03-24-2017 07:41 AM

I am still very rich have barely started to lean out I'm doing 1/8 just once a while was not sure how fast I should be leaning it out also only doing this to the high speed screw.

jpatrick 03-24-2017 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by KR145 (Post 14878610)
I like a small hole to run a zip tie thru so you can pull open the fuel tank lid for fueling.. The bigger hole on top was to try a fuel gun. Side window cut out for fuel bottle...that's all personal preference really.

great view from your place:)

teo1213 04-24-2017 08:30 PM

Question my stock motor finally starting to feel good running pretty good but still not shifting I have leaned it out but I am fairly new to nitro but followed all the guides on here and basically wondering if it could be cause got the rtr and need to put stiffer springs and all that I have a bunch of upgrades for it but wanted to get it running well first and at point where I wanted more do all the suspension and all that but if I have to pull motor and work on clutch maybe just strip car and do full reset. What you guys think?

MantisWorx 04-25-2017 06:43 PM

adjust the 2 spd clutch, back the screws out 1/4 turn.

teo1213 04-25-2017 07:05 PM

Hi mantis works so this morning I attempted to get to the clutch ran into a hickup and realized I needed a tool to get flywheel off I didn't have. I did replace the 3 part springs to 1.0mm ones it helped but I ordered tool will try that as soon as I get it. Also you are the guy who does rc shox website right? I'm gonna order the flo control gt spec pistons and the motor mount heard great things!! Is there a spring rate and oil weight you suggest? Thanks for reply as well really appreciate the help!!

wichitafc98 04-25-2017 08:07 PM

What size is the clutch, If I want to get a third party clutch like a REDS.

teo1213 04-25-2017 09:25 PM

Not really looking for new clutch I don't think more ideas on adjusting to work correctly

teo1213 05-05-2017 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by teo1213 (Post 14910000)
Not really looking for new clutch I don't think more ideas on adjusting to work correctly

Today I got the flywheel off and I installed the 4 shoe clutch and flywheel on my motor but now the bell is tight it spins but lot of drag compared to the old 3 shoe one it came with. Am I suppose to use a different bell with the 4 shoe? I also adjusted clutch 1/4 turn out on the center diff. But don't want to run it if gonna mess stuff up due to clutch being so tight.

DKB243 05-05-2017 02:19 PM

Rtr

Set you a pm call me about you RTR got some in site on them we are racing them.

petersen114 05-05-2017 03:40 PM

Why would the 2 speed rotate gears only and not the outdrives???

scary_jerry 05-05-2017 04:26 PM

No Go

Originally Posted by petersen114 (Post 14919266)
Why would the 2 speed rotate gears only and not the outdrives???

Are you talking 'under engine power'? If that's the case I'd explore 'one way bearing' ......SHOT.....or in backwards.
If, with engine OFF.....you roll car backwards.....does that motion drive your gears.....?? That's normal.

Did you put some kind of lube other than 'one way bearing lube' on the shaft or bearing ??

petersen114 05-05-2017 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by scary_jerry (Post 14919299)
Are you talking 'under engine power'? If that's the case I'd explore 'one way bearing' ......SHOT.....or in backwards.
If, with engine OFF.....you roll car backwards.....does that motion drive your gears.....?? That's normal.

Did you put some kind of lube other than 'one way bearing lube' on the shaft or bearing ??

Yes, under power. It would do it on and off. If I goosed the throttle it would do it instantly. Slower speeds no. The 2 speed is brand new and it is the first use of it.

scary_jerry 05-05-2017 05:39 PM

No Go

Originally Posted by petersen114 (Post 14919326)
Yes, under power. It would do it on and off. If I goosed the throttle it would do it instantly. Slower speeds no. The 2 speed is brand new and it is the first use of it.

Okay......been there!

I've seen that happen. I was told to gently wipe out 'one way bearing' and reinstall and I was also asked why I didn't know I was supposed to put a drop of 'one way bearing oil' on it. I thought a new bearing was ready to go but..... I ran a Kyosho car for 3 years without touching it before it died.
I've seen that more than once and it gets frustrating when it starts doing that on your race pit stops leaving the pits !! Get personal with your 'one way bearing' try gently wiping-reassembling. (order some one-way bearing oil)

petersen114 05-05-2017 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by scary_jerry (Post 14919351)
Okay......been there!

I've seen that happen. I was told to gently wipe out 'one way bearing' and reinstall and I was also asked why I didn't know I was supposed to put a drop of 'one way bearing oil' on it. I thought a new bearing was ready to go but..... I ran a Kyosho car for 3 years without touching it before it died.
I've seen that more than once and it gets frustrating when it starts doing that on your race pit stops leaving the pits !! Get personal with your 'one way bearing' try gently wiping-reassembling. (order some one-way bearing oil)

Thanks for the advice. I am putting the V1 2-speed back in for time being. Never had this issue before. My Ofna 2 speeds (at least the cam versions) worked flawless and still do. I called Amain and talked to them about it. I stressed the idea if the one way bearing cuz to me that's the only thing other than the 5x5 pins which I checked and was goot. Amain gave me Paul's number at Desoto so I guess I will call them on Monday.

scary_jerry 05-05-2017 06:10 PM

No Go

Originally Posted by petersen114 (Post 14919358)
Thanks for the advice. I am putting the V1 2-speed back in for time being. Never had this issue before. My Ofna 2 speeds (at least the cam versions) worked flawless and still do. I called Amain and talked to them about it. I stressed the idea if the one way bearing cuz to me that's the only thing other than the 5x5 pins which I checked and was goot. Amain gave me Paul's number at Desoto so I guess I will call them on Monday.

Do you remember if the trans clutch springs 'dropped' into the shoes without having to push them past 'friction' ? I had to use springs from another source because the kit springs were more like a 'friction' fit than easy drop in. I fought that for a long time. I know now to check for that interference and gently ream the shoe if necessary or use my magic springs !! Once you fix the bugs, you'll love that car. By working on it you'll get that 'symbiosis' !! 😎

petersen114 05-05-2017 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by scary_jerry (Post 14919374)
Do you remember if the trans clutch springs 'dropped' into the shoes without having to push them past 'friction' ? I had to use springs from another source because the kit springs were more like a 'friction' fit than easy drop in. I fought that for a long time. I know now to check for that interference and gently ream the shoe if necessary or use my magic springs !! Once you fix the bugs, you'll love that car. By working on it you'll get that 'symbiosis' !! 😎

They dropped right in fine, but they were kind of distorted looking when I pulled the 2-speed apart for inspection.

scary_jerry 05-05-2017 06:31 PM

No Go

Originally Posted by petersen114 (Post 14919378)
They dropped right in fine, but they were kind of distorted looking when I pulled the 2-speed apart for inspection.

I'd say 'BINGO'......it's good that you noticed that detail. Screws may have gotten tightened too tight and deformed springs to the point of 'hanging up' in their 'bores'. I'd replace springs and go easy on the 'tighten all the way in' part of it. Then enjoy a properly working transmission!! 😎

petersen114 05-05-2017 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by scary_jerry (Post 14919392)
I'd say 'BINGO'......it's good that you noticed that detail. Screws may have gotten tightened too tight and deformed springs to the point of 'hanging up' in their 'bores'. I'd replace springs and go easy on the 'tighten all the way in' part of it. Then enjoy a properly working transmission!! 😎

Just curious, but how would the springs prevent the 2-speed shaft from not turning when the 2, 2-speed gears are??

scary_jerry 05-05-2017 07:41 PM

No Go

Originally Posted by petersen114 (Post 14919397)
Just curious, but how would the springs prevent the 2-speed shaft from not turning when the 2, 2-speed gears are??

Until I resolved the bind on my trans clutch shoes the car would just sit there under throttle blips. That's when I was told to use 'one way lube'. I never got the OWL before fixing the spring issue. It wasn't clear which issue was in command because it 'just started working' as I tinkered in the trans.
Are you sure that when you roll the car backwards by hand that that action causes the gears to turn ??
That would tell me the 'one way' is in the correct orientation. If power blip doesn't roll the car I'd wonder if clutch springs were too strong.
Other than the items discussed, it is puzzling that 'gears turn but output doesn't'.
So if you roll your car backwards, does it cause the gears to spin and then 'freewheel' a little or not ?

petersen114 05-06-2017 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by scary_jerry (Post 14919443)
Until I resolved the bind on my trans clutch shoes the car would just sit there under throttle blips. That's when I was told to use 'one way lube'. I never got the OWL before fixing the spring issue. It wasn't clear which issue was in command because it 'just started working' as I tinkered in the trans.
Are you sure that when you roll the car backwards by hand that that action causes the gears to turn ??
That would tell me the 'one way' is in the correct orientation. If power blip doesn't roll the car I'd wonder if clutch springs were too strong.
Other than the items discussed, it is puzzling that 'gears turn but output doesn't'.
So if you roll your car backwards, does it cause the gears to spin and then 'freewheel' a little or not ?

Yea the one way is in correctly, that I am positive about. Picture a real cars transmission or clutch slipping and then its fine and then it slips again.

dan_vector 05-06-2017 05:17 AM

I've always found washing the one way bearing out with fuel works when it's a bit sticky. Take the gearbox out and wash the one way a few times and work it on the shaft. Do it 3/4 times. Then let the one way dry. Add a couple drops of one way lube and this should cure the problem. It not then you need a new one way.

petersen114 05-06-2017 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by dan_vector (Post 14919662)
I've always found washing the one way bearing out with fuel works when it's a bit sticky. Take the gearbox out and wash the one way a few times and work it on the shaft. Do it 3/4 times. Then let the one way dry. Add a couple drops of one way lube and this should cure the problem. It not then you need a new one way.

What would cause the one-way to slip????

dan_vector 05-06-2017 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by petersen114 (Post 14919677)

The needles bearings are sticky. Try my method and see. If it doesn't work you'll need a new one way. Whatever you do don't try to clean the bearing with paper towel or rags. Use the shaft to work the bearing after putting the fuel on it.

scary_jerry 05-06-2017 07:20 AM

Slipin

Originally Posted by petersen114 (Post 14919677)

'Gremlins'.....👹

He's right, 'it just happens' and when it's a new unit.....very frustrating. I fought mine for along time and used my 'back up' car (K car) until mine decided to work.

dan_vector 05-06-2017 07:25 AM

I'm confident you'll get the one way freed up. Just work it baby!

But I have had them no good right out the packet before. Try my method and if it doesn't work talk to Desoto, Serpent will sort you out.

petersen114 05-06-2017 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by dan_vector (Post 14919730)
I'm confident you'll get the one way freed up. Just work it baby!

But I have had them no good right out the packet before. Try my method and if it doesn't work talk to Desoto, Serpent will sort you out.

I soaked the bearing in denatured alcohol for about a half an hour. Should I put fuel in it or can I use 3 n 1 oil? Ment to say earlier that it only slips when in the car. I tried to get it to slip by hand, but it won't.

dan_vector 05-06-2017 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by petersen114 (Post 14919750)
I soaked the bearing in denatured alcohol for about a half an hour. Should I put fuel in it or can I use 3 n 1 oil? Ment to say earlier that it only slips when in the car. I tried to get it to slip by hand, but it won't.

Don't use 3-in-1 oil. The purpose of working the bearing on the shaft isn't for trying to make it slip (it won't by hand) but to clean the bearing. The just soaking in the alcohol won't do it. You need to work the bearing.