Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo GT-4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 07:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hmm, that could be very true...

I have had the Impulse, and 705 in the past, but could never get the arms to be free moving, always binded. What is the hot car out there right now?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My guess would be the suspension and arms geometry could not allow for a lot of camber change that is needed for foam setup due to the very low roll center. Just guessing here... I know that rubber tire setup does not like a lot of camber change.
Actually, the car has too much camber change, or so I have been told. The car, which I've had for 2 years, handles very well. Its easy to set up , and once you do it stays there. The thing with the car is that is a 4 year old design, and people think that thus its no good anymore. IMHO the car was ahead of its time when it was released, just like the Serpent Impulse which has lasted until this year.

If you get one you wont be disapointed.

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP Palmaris Racing
Old 12-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Randman
I have had the Impulse, and 705 in the past, but could never get the arms to be free moving, always binded. What is the hot car out there right now?
I saw you posted a few times on the 705 forum. You could have asked help as we would have willingly showed you how to solve your problems.

Currently, the hottest cars are the Mugen MTX-3, Kyosho V1RR EVO, HPI R40 and the Trinity / Team Magic G4. Used to be the NTC3. When the Serpent 710 comes out, I would figure that it would be a hottest car to get.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by InitialD
I saw you posted a few times on the 705 forum. You could have asked help as we would have willingly showed you how to solve your problems.

Currently, the hottest cars are the Mugen MTX-3, Kyosho V1RR EVO, HPI R40 and the Trinity / Team Magic G4. Used to be the NTC3. When the Serpent 710 comes out, I would figure that it would be a hottest car to get.
Is there a fix to the suspension binding problem? I found that every arm, upper and lower had bind in it...

The quality and fit of Yokomo stuff has always been good, I'm running their electric car, so I thought of going to the gas car before anything else. I hear that they are testing prototypes of a new gas car in Japan, but I guess that's a year or so away.

Is there any disadvantage of the pivot ball suspension?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Is there a fix to the suspension binding problem? I found that every arm, upper and lower had bind in it...
Perhaps this is not the right place to answer this question. But anyway... What I do is to ream out the flashes in the pivot pin holes in the arms with a 3 mm drill bit and a dremel. Be very careful when you do this. Some even polish the pivot pins. This will give you a free movement of the suspension arms and they can fall under their own weight.

The shock pistons are also a culprit. Take the shock shaft with the piston assembly and mount the shock shaft onto a dremel to rotate the plastic piston onto a fine grit sandpaper. Not to much. The shock shaft and piston assembly should drop into the empty shock body assembly by it's own weight. This will give you binding free movement of the suspension arms.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Perhaps this is not the right place to answer this question. But anyway... What I do is to ream out the flashes in the pivot pin holes in the arms with a 3 mm drill bit and a dremel. Be very careful when you do this. Some even polish the pivot pins. This will give you a free movement of the suspension arms and they can fall under their own weight.

The shock pistons are also a culprit. Take the shock shaft with the piston assembly and mount the shock shaft onto a dremel to rotate the plastic piston onto a fine grit sandpaper. Not to much. The shock shaft and piston assembly should drop into the empty shock body assembly by it's own weight. This will give you binding free movement of the suspension arms.
I went as far as to having .125" hinge pins made, and used a .125 reamer to ream out the holes for the pins, but it still wasn't free, it was almost like the holes in the arms werent aligned straight, on my Impulse, and 705...
Old 12-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Prophet

I went as far as to having .125" hinge pins made, and used a .125 reamer to ream out the holes for the pins, but it still wasn't free, it was almost like the holes in the arms werent aligned straight, on my Impulse, and 705...
Like I mentioned earlier, it's not just the arms... The shocks needs to be smooth too.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Like I mentioned earlier, it's not just the arms... The shocks needs to be smooth too.
I know, the shocks were never a problem, I took out the adjustable pistons, and put in shaved down AE pistons. I never would get past the arms part until they were bind free, and it took days to get right...
Old 12-05-2003, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just curious how do you mean by that since there's nothing special about the 3 belt drivetrain system...
i guess it is a standard 3belt system but i can tell you it's
a lot smoother than the other belt driven cars ive owned in
the past anyone who's owned different belt cars and also
owned a gt4 will agree on this
Old 12-05-2003, 09:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by jwf_frani
i guess it is a standard 3belt system but i can tell you it's
a lot smoother than the other belt driven cars ive owned in
the past anyone who's owned different belt cars and also
owned a gt4 will agree on this
How does the new Kyosho sedan's drivetrain compare?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

i haven't tried that car.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by jwf_frani
i haven't tried that car.
Ever seen one to compare the drivetrain?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

I have run both and I really did not feel that there was much between the two cars. there is one down side with the yokomo that I realy wish that they would fix and the main reason I'm not running there car is the diffs are not sealed, thats fine if you run there diff grease and then you only have a few option to what to run.If you run anything else in them you get a big mess all over the place.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I remember that problem on my old GT4, went and bought some gasket material and sealed the diffs myself, but a major pain in the ass to do...
Old 12-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

randman you can probably learn more from chris t about this
car since he's had 3-4 years experience with this car now and
ive seen a few of your posts were you know chris t. so i would
go to the best source for this car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.