Search

Cheating at EC A Champs in Luxembourg?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:50 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
Saucers SUCK!! And now we will have a ton of them in US cause monkey see....
just curious, i thought all the saucing business was because they are running on a green track. if the track was sprayed with a sugar/castor base and vht, would saucing the tires still pose an advantage? i realize that this is an added cost to the race operator but maybe it would be a smaller headache?

if it were possible to undercut the advantage by rasing the grip level of the track surface, maybe that would be a less painful way to go?

never the less, i think cheaters need to be dealt with. i don't abide by the 'cale yarborough school of thought' "it ain't cheating if you don't get caught"

i would also like to thank the italian racing federation for standing on principle
Old 08-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by avs
just curious, i thought all the saucing business was because they are running on a green track. if the track was sprayed with a sugar/castor base and vht, would saucing the tires still pose an advantage? i realize that this is an added cost to the race operator but maybe it would be a smaller headache?

if it were possible to undercut the advantage by rasing the grip level of the track surface, maybe that would be a less painful way to go?

never the less, i think cheaters need to be dealt with. i don't abide by the 'cale yarborough school of thought' "it ain't cheating if you don't get caught"

i would also like to thank the italian racing federation for standing on principle

exint2 on youtube had a video regarding this. Saucing is a performance gain in the initial laps when tyres are cold etc. So while the track may be same for all, the sauce gives one that initial performance gain.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs

this is an interesting point. VHT spray on a track would be a simple way to solve this issue. VHT poses a bit of a problem when it rains, as it becomes slippery. I've seen some world events (qualifiers) run under the rain (ie the worlds in Brisbane Australia in, i think it was 2008?)

anyway, it's probably better for racing if compunds are not allowed as it places a greater emphasis on tuning of the car. I've raced with VHT in the past, yes the grip is great but some element of setup skills is lost as the grip is just phenomenal.

Also, i've raced on a fresh track with great grip and no VHT also, the grip after a few days was almost if not as high as a VHT'ed track without the problem of excessive lateral grip which leads to traction rolling.

Tyre saucing should be outlawed, and a more stringent method of bagging should be developed. As we have seen from the euros, it is easy to mistakenly contaminate a bag which can lead to false positive readings. Also the current method is also open to cheating from officials, ie who's to say that a dodgy official with a chip on their shoulder won't contaminate a racer's tyre bag< or purposely contaminate a tyre?

Also i think the current method of detection works by detecting levels of oil, my question then is, does this mean a manufacturer will develop a traction compound that has no oil and is thus undetctable in the current tyre soaked in water method used by EFRA?