Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Sauce ... To Do or Not To Do

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
Why make an issue of it I don't see any top drivers on here debating could any regular driver keep up even if the top drivers didn't saute. Their tires i think not if its a club race and they run sedan & on saute'd tires chances are their motor isn't legal either just put em. On the grill onions please
Because the top "sponsored" drivers make up a very small percentage of people that race these cars. We want to go fast too. What's the big deal. I read that people complain that it's another step to prepare your car or it costs to much(10 dollars). Really?

0.4 of a second faster is a huge jump if you race.

I didn't mean to quote you. Stupid smart phone.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
Why make an issue of it I don't see any top drivers on here debating could any regular driver keep up even if the top drivers didn't saute.
At big races, I'm usually .4 to .5 a lap off of the tq's times. That usually puts me at the bottom of the B, top of the C. If sauce would give me .4, that makes me a contender if the pros aren't using. If everyone is using, I would have to just to stay in my usual spot. If I don't use, I would be in the E.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My vote - definitely allow the use of traction compound. Decrease the weight limit while we are at it to offset the additional cost you incur (assuming less weight saves tires, increases engine life, $$ for brass weights, etc). Otherwise, a spec tire is the only way to ensure a level playing field…

LG II for life!!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iwk2much
My vote - definitely allow the use of traction compound. Decrease the weight limit while we are at it to offset the additional cost you incur (assuming less weight saves tires, increases engine life, $$ for brass weights, etc). Otherwise, a spec tire is the only way to ensure a level playing field…

LG II for life!!
+1 spec tire.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Explain why people need that 0.4 sec faster laptime against the people who do not sauce, must they stay ahead of those who do not sauce?
Let me remind you that saucing tires is forbidden in most Europian countries and EFRA races and there is a 5 year ban on it. Why do toplevel drivers risk such a ban to get those 0.4sec faster laptimes? Even Patrick Schafer from Shepherd has forbidden his drivers to use tire sauce with also a high punishing on it.

OK in the US saucing is your right and I think with some parking lot tracks it can be helpfull, in Europe we call that cheating because it is not alowed and so the main question you can ask is if Collari is a winner or a cheater with the last EC. (as all drivers reaching the higher finals)

Will the fast guys be on top without it? If so, why saucing risking a ban and

loosing your sponsors ?

I'm fully against the use of tire traction treatment. My statement is those that cannot make their cars work on hard tires and low to med traction need to learn how to set-up their cars! Guys are hearing that they can gain .4 so their jumping on the bandwagon. My tires will never be tainted.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Because the top "sponsored" drivers make up a very small percentage of people that race these cars. We want to go fast too. What's the big deal. I read that people complain that it's another step to prepare your car or it costs to much(10 dollars). Really?
And those drivers are the ones to look up to but I do not if them all are only that fast by cheating. They are not only fooling the drivers who are driving by the rules but they are also fooling themselves and their sponsors.
I do not think it will stay at 10 dollars as I have writen before about what is happening in electric touring.

Originally Posted by iwk2much
At this moment I am not in favorite of lowering the weight of a car, there are still to many cars arround not getting it unless huge investments have to be made. And you have to wait for the "Global Spec Body", that one can be set to 1mm material adding weight.

Alowing the use of sauce is the most simple choice but I doubt if it is the best one. Racing is all about getting the best setup without using additives and for sure without cheating.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wingracer
At big races, I'm usually .4 to .5 a lap off of the tq's times. That usually puts me at the bottom of the B, top of the C. If sauce would give me .4, that makes me a contender if the pros aren't using. If everyone is using, I would have to just to stay in my usual spot. If I don't use, I would be in the E.
Wingracer - Best comment so far.

For most of us we race for fun (as a hobby) and to contend against the pro's when we can. Most pro's have years more track time and the BEST equipment.

Now if sauce A gives you have a second, you take that half a second. If sauce B gives you one second faster per lap, you use sauce B. It's just common sense. You wouldn't buy something, sauce or part to make your RACE car a SLOWER race car.

If the governing bodies really want to work on this they would work together with the tire companies. The next Worlds might be the same thing as the 2011 8th scale worlds were, more drama and less racing.

At the end of the day we look to see what car/engine/radio and TIRE combination wins. At the end of the day that's what make sales, results on track with Brand A, Brand B or Brand C.

So Enneti, Matrix, Contact and others should discuss with EFRA, ROAR and Ifmar regarding impound and/or spec tires. I'm not sure spec tires would go well with the brand that isn't selected for the event.

No matter what is decided we all need tires to race

With that said I need a tire sponsor to catch up on the years of track time I am behind the pro's
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
And those drivers are the ones to look up to but I do not if them all are only that fast by cheating. They are not only fooling the drivers who are driving by the rules but they are also fooling themselves and their sponsors.
I do not think it will stay at 10 dollars as I have writen before about what is happening in electric touring.

At this moment I am not in favorite of lowering the weight of a car, there are still to many cars arround not getting it unless huge investments have to be made. And you have to wait for the "Global Spec Body", that one can be set to 1mm material adding weight.

Alowing the use of sauce is the most simple choice but I doubt if it is the best one. Racing is all about getting the best setup without using additives and for sure without cheating.
Saucing is not cheating. It's adding more traction sometimes too much. It can be a good thing or bad.. They"fast guys" already know how to set up and drive, and on their level those tenths mean a lot.

Maybe they should just ban VHT or the use of any additive(soda). It's the same principle. We all like traction so why frown apon it. Just sayin'

It's not that complicated. Rub it on, wait, wipe it off and go.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

I say let traction compounds be used as long as all of the racers are informed that it's use is allowed then it's the racers choice, As far as the use of chemicals on setups don't over look the use of Shock oils, diff oils , bearing oils etc, Same as traction compounds in my opinion, knowing that a shock oil wt can make a big gain in performance so does that make it cheating if fellow racer doesn't have 500wt like I do ? As far as cost! I think tire sauce usually cost about the same or less than a glowplug so it's not expensive, In essence 1/8 is a OPEN CLASS meaning less rules, Only (weight,wheelbase,track width,engine size, body type etc,) Don't you think that its funny we didn't hear of this at the Sedan worlds? I personally think lowering the weight and less body restrictions in 1/8 OPEN , Most of us still would not be as fast as say SWAUGER, PEITSCH, COLLARI, MORGANTI , BALESTRI , KIMBROW, BURCH ETC, with traction compound so let them do they're thing and me to

Rick
Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
My statement is those that cannot make their cars work on hard tires and low to med traction need to learn how to set-up their cars!
I can get the car to work great on hard tires but it's slower. The nats at Nebraska I was using 37s in practice. The car was great to drive, I loved it. Slapped 32s on it and was considerably faster. Many guys were running softer than that, not because the car wouldn't work with harder tires but because softer was faster.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Saucing is not cheating.
He is in Europe where it is cheating.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

I personally support sauce as 1/12 scale also allow to use. 1/12 scale cannot run without the tire sauce now. Will anyone suggest to ban the use of tire sauce in 1/12?
The use of sauce just like engine tunning. If I don't know how to tune the engine perfectly. Will it be suggested to use a standard tuned engine?
If the chasis that I use is not as fast as another brand. Will it be suggest to use spec. chassis?
Spec. tire will kill the industry. No more new manufacturer and the market will only be dominate by the large company. The price of tire will increase.
If all the component need to use spec. part. Will there be any manufacturer suppoert the World Championship?
Tire war is important. If a company can provide tire with suitable sauce, then they can improve their business. This is one of the reason why Michelin refuse to provide tire if there does not have tire war in F1.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To sauce or not to sauce is the topic wherever you race ! Enough with the suggestions that everybody should follow Europe !!! Imperialism has no place in RC racing , and most racers also don't race just to get sponsorship !!! Sponsors follow the top drivers(whether they sauce or not), and not the other way around !!! Either you're a world class driver or you're not, sauce or no sauce, European or NOT !!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Are you guys so sure the top guy's have not been saucing?
Sauce will not fix a sh#t set-up, it's a finishing touch.
YES Mr. Strack LG II is good stuff, I like it on pancakes.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default Not to sauce, it's WRONG.

Im against it..

The track condition is the same for all drivers.. and sauce may vary to the point that we may have a new generation of drivers with 12 fingers and two heads.

I've used tyre compound in Electric, I thought the stuff was peeling off my fingers until I noticed it were my fingers that were peeling. So I stopped using it for obvious reasons.

We have several choices of tyre shore, so many variables that make the difference in car performance and handling. All one will achieve is masking the flaws in their setup by giving themselves a short stint of traction and then its likely off the black stuff. If bragging rights on a fastest lap is going to tickle your fancy well ok, but that's not the race craft you need to get to the finish in good standing.

For those that think it's going to close a gap, the gap will remain the same if the faster drivers use it too, the gap will likely be even bigger. And it would be considerate if you don't go blowing the foam off your car in the garages, I dont want my kids breathing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.