Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GRP engine glowplug

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I went through this whole issue a while ago when looking for plugs for my ninja .12.
As mentioned there are two different tapers on the end of turbo plugs.

A mate and I went to use OS plugs (i think) in my ninja and his picco and we both had some issues including the plugs working loose and one eventually blowing out after it worked loose!!!

The threads are the same it's just that end taper and if you hold the two plugs side by side you can see the difference ... its only a slight difference but it is there.

I spoke to a guy at a local shop recently who said "Italian plugs for Italian motors and Japanese plugs for Japanese motors".
This seemed kinda logical but i am not sure how true this statement is, or if it's just a rough guide. Maybe there are different standards for the different areas of manufacture.

So Novarossi and Nova based engines and others like GRP/Ninja, Picco, Sirio, and say RB are in one camp and
OS, and not sure of the other Japanese based engines in the other.

I think we ended up using a Novarossi plug and also a sirrio plug in our motors.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nytaurean
I purchased 30 GRP Plugs from The Border online last season and they are absolute garbage. They seam to be GRP Fakes. They came in zip lock bags unlike the original GRP plastic cases all the plugs usually come in. They do not last and will lose the filament and scratch your piston up very badly.

I contacted The Border about the authenticity of these plugs and of course they denied it, but please do yourself a favor and only purchase these plugs from someone you can trust.
To be honest, GRP does actually use zip lock bags for their plugs, they do not make the boxes anymore. But I can not imagine they were rubbish because my friend has bought and sold hundreds of them en is using them by himself without any issues.
The only thing I can imagine is using the wrong plug number, take a look into the Technopower topic on this (offroad) forum, there is something mentioned about other specs to a plugnumber.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitoriousRC
I went through this whole issue a while ago when looking for plugs for my ninja .12.
As mentioned there are two different tapers on the end of turbo plugs.

A mate and I went to use OS plugs (i think) in my ninja and his picco and we both had some issues including the plugs working loose and one eventually blowing out after it worked loose!!!

The threads are the same it's just that end taper and if you hold the two plugs side by side you can see the difference ... its only a slight difference but it is there.

I spoke to a guy at a local shop recently who said "Italian plugs for Italian motors and Japanese plugs for Japanese motors".
This seemed kinda logical but i am not sure how true this statement is, or if it's just a rough guide. Maybe there are different standards for the different areas of manufacture.

So Novarossi and Nova based engines and others like GRP/Ninja, Picco, Sirio, and say RB are in one camp and
OS, and not sure of the other Japanese based engines in the other.

I think we ended up using a Novarossi plug and also a sirrio plug in our motors.
Nova plugs dont work on Piccos, different taper.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Nova plugs dont work on Piccos, different taper.
I wouldn't advise using a Nova plug in anything other than a Nova based motor. They WILL leak in OS motors and don't fit all that well in anything else. Oddly enough, most anything seems to work in a Nova motor, though some work far better than others.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

I used the oddonel 97t plug for every grp i owned tuned .21 to .28 Along with about 10 other people. never had one leak or come loose. a few guys used the os p3 and had trouble when switching back to grp,then they leaked .Always hated the grp plugs,half of the time they were junk out of the box. Maybe the new tq plugs are better give them a try.otherwise go oddonell . Thats my thoughts anyways