Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ball Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ball Bearings

I have seen racer that take out the seal from the Bearings and the car is very free rolling, does this mean they would ony last 1 race? and break faster??
Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes, they are free-er, but will not last as long.......dirt and debree will get in the bearings and deteriorate them!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jorge858
I have seen racer that take out the seal from the Bearings and the car is very free rolling, does this mean they would ony last 1 race? and break faster??
if you want more rolling, get metal shields bearings. Using the bearings without seals will ruin them in no time.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

You can do this at the wheel axles. Put the open side to the inner side of the upright and not much dirt wi;; come in, you can even use a small piece of schrink wrap between the bearings to cover the sleeve for the pins of the dogbones
Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Try bearings that have a rubber seal on one side and metal shield on the other. The rubber seal faces outward to better protect against dirt and debris, and the metal shield is safe facing inward, and offers less resistance.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by simplechamp
Try bearings that have a rubber seal on one side and metal shield on the other. The rubber seal faces outward to better protect against dirt and debris, and the metal shield is safe facing inward, and offers less resistance.
here's my cleaning tips:

I remove my rubber seals, I also remove metal ones but they can be a painful exercise.

A friend gave me a handful of plastic specifmen jars and I drilled out holes in one and trimmed it so it would fit inside the other. This allow debris to fall thru the holes. I use kerosene to clean them and rinse.

Then depending on bearing I attach some fuel line to my dremel and for bigger bearings I use the soft pad and I spin them up in a small amount kerosene just to flush out the rest of the debris.

Then I use food grade inox to insert grease into them. My theory is that as the bearing spins it melts the grease it needs to and creates a wall of grease so debris sticks to it and not the balls.

Time consuming and well worth the effort.

PS: Take note that the seals I wipe clean carefully not to damage them and I dont soak them in kero or they expand.