Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Just finished the Chassis Conversion, will go testing this afternoon.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:42 PM
ojo
Tech Rookie

Any news with the full conversion? How good is it? Worth the money or not?
Old 05-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's funny how nobody has said this conversion kit is worth buying, even when almost everyone in this forum asked repeatedly. So..............Why the hell would anyone wanna buy it? What is the list of benefits (apart from being different)? I'm curious.
-Jay-
Old 05-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by jay272
So..............Why the hell would anyone wanna buy it? What is the list of benefits (apart from being different)? I'm curious.
-Jay-
Beats me but the only thing I see beneficial is to get the ring gears that allows you to run lower final drive ratios. Else, I think using Mugen pinions with Mugen clutchbell (or even getting the whole Mugen clutch) may proove to be much cheaper option to get those final drive ratios.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:58 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by jay272
It's funny how nobody has said this conversion kit is worth buying, even when almost everyone in this forum asked repeatedly. So..............Why the hell would anyone wanna buy it? What is the list of benefits (apart from being different)? I'm curious.
-Jay-
From the Kawahara sight, handling is improved due to a better balance, and revised geometry to be brief
Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

I have just finished my ZT-1 and had a test session with the full conversion although I have not done the rear conversion as yet as I want to set up a new set of arms with this.
In a word, Oooooooooooh.
The gear box can be removed in about ten seconds, one grub screw and four cap heads and its out.
The drive train is even freer than stock.
Drag brakes are a must or understeer is very noticable on corner entry.
From point to point this is the fastest tourer I've ever driven.
Attached Thumbnails Kawahara ZT-1/FW05 conversion-zac-fw-1.jpg  
Old 06-25-2004, 04:32 AM
Tech Addict

I am not sure why this woud be better if it causes the need for a lot of drag brake to compensate for poor handling entering a corner?

For me, I would expect a better handling car to be able to be driven harder and turn harder into a corner w/o having to normally use drag-brakes.

Or, are you saying the car's tranny is so free that you need the drag-brakes to slow the car down?

-Rich
Old 06-25-2004, 04:59 AM
Tech Master

I would have to say that the Kawahara drive train is maybe a bit too free, the car simply does not slow down off power.
I may have to try this drag brake thing so i can slow off power like a belt car.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:33 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by NiMo
I would have to say that the Kawahara drive train is maybe a bit too free, the car simply does not slow down off power.
I may have to try this drag brake thing so i can slow off power like a belt car.
That's it, you can do half a lap just rolling. When you back off there is little weight transfer to the front, the corner exit steering is very good but very understeery going in without brakes.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks good Rob

any better than the FW or just different.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rjl
That's it, you can do half a lap just rolling. When you back off there is little weight transfer to the front, the corner exit steering is very good but very understeery going in without brakes.
Have you tried increasing your toe-out in front?
Old 06-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by frozenpod
Looks good Rob

any better than the FW or just different.
I have just ditched the Kawahara chassis as I could not find a cure for the unpredictable 'rear end snap' that happens for no apparent reason.
But I will be keeping the Kawahara diff rings as the taller gearing is just right for the car.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:28 AM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Raced the car for the first time today.
Qualified second but unfortunately flamed on the grid and missed the start. Did manage some fast laps and consistency was improving. The on power steering is better than my MTX3 but the brakes are not as good.
The run time with this car is better even though both the engines I tested had to be richened after coming out of the MTX.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:35 PM
ojo
Tech Rookie

2 all d kool ppl:

Just got my kawahara full conversion. opened up the box, found out that there is no front conversion parts. can anyone tell me whether the front conversion is included in the full conversion kit or not? my friend's full conversion kit(from the same supplier purchased on the same day) also doesn't has the front conversion parts.

lastly, how about the front and rear shock tower? are they included? Our kits also missing those two items.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:20 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Kit ZT-100 44,000 yen contains the front conversion, rear conversion, centre conversion and the chassis conversion. Sounds like you have the chassis conversion only. This is part No. ZF-126. The full conversion is very pricey, about $730 Australian or $550 US.
I am very impressed with the car, it gave me lap times as good as my 18 month old MTX3 on it's first outing and will improve further when I get the motor tuned to the drive train. I made the mistake of thinking I needed taller gearing and fitted the Mugen 28 tooth but this is over geared and caused too much heat.
I'll post some pics of all the parts in the full conversion so you can compare, if you like trick looking cars this is a piece of work, I've gone this way as I hate constantly wrenching and the quality of the Kawahara parts is second to none, so is the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.