Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn LAB-C01

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

ahh, this makes sense. Wait, whoa. That kinda makes sense given some of the collaboration I have seen so far with certain teams. Thanks for the pot stirring lol.

either of the two groups that I am thinking of would be great for cap in the USA. I think both could serve the rc pop well. Then I could actually get my light weight diff parts *eye roll*
Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Following the set-up used in Gubbio (ITA) by Giorgio De Felici winner of 2010 Novarossi trophey with also the Fastest Lap.

http://www.capricornrc.com/Setup_Gubbio_2010.pdf
Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Let me stir the pot here is the info for those that are interested http://www.rctech.net/forum/8077964-post88.html
RCAmerica is not the company that will bring in the capricorn products. We are fully dedicated to Xray and Xray only. Best wishes to the company that does bring it in. But we wish to not be a part of this rumer mill.

Thanks Drew
Old 10-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
RCAmerica is not the company that will bring in the capricorn products. We are fully dedicated to Xray and Xray only. Best wishes to the company that does bring it in. But we wish to not be a part of this rumer mill.

Thanks Drew
Drew is correct, they are not the importers.

Desoto Racing is the new importer for Capricorn in the USA and the Americas. We will be stocking the full line of products including cars, accessories for all the cars including the NT1, tires, engines, etc. In addition, we will soon be announcing Cap team drivers and other exciting news.

Let us know what you need and we will make sure we keep it in stock.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Desoto Racing

Desoto Racing is the new importer for Capricorn in the USA and the Americas. We will be stocking the full line of products including cars, accessories for all the cars including the NT1, tires, engines, etc. In addition, we will soon be announcing Cap team drivers and other exciting news.

Sweet !! Ya know I going to get some .
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Awesome news!

Let us know when you receive the parts for the NT1s including the clutch bells.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

when do you anticipate having the NT1 option parts like clutch, light diff gears etc?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default General Tips for Capricorn Lab c01

Hi everyone,

Its been a long time not writing on rctech, my racing season is over and I need to prepare for the university entry exams...

For a season, I have tested the car lots of time to improve it. Here are some tips I can give:

Durability:
-After lots of assembling-disassembling, lower arm's screw housing for shock absorber becomes stripped and starts to loosen, so it will be useful to make a full hole, so that you can put a button headed screw from behind. Like serpent does.
-I was hating those clips on rear anti roll bar bulkhead mount, so I applied very tiny amount of locktite to the outside of the little bearings, so they dont come off when I dont use the clip. Use locktite for the little holder part as well.
-Service the clutch every 1 hour of running or so, and you wont have any clutch issues ever.
-Before running, grease the dogbone and universal joints, if you dont want to replace them often.
-Long lasting belts are not long lasting, they are life guaranteed Seriously, they last for a really long time and you start to think its time to change, even if you cant see any remarks of wear.

Setup:
-When using soft suspension parts, front lower arm's downstop hitting part flexes a lot, causing tweak sometimes. I put shims inside of the shock absorber, under the piston(about 3-4mm) and fine tuned it from the ball cup, so it was hitting the downstop a lot more precisely. Handling also changed a little, car had more direct feel on power.
-Use the xrays wide bumper without foam for more high speed steering. I believe you will feel the difference.
-Place 1mm shim to the front uprights steering link, to eliminate bump steer.
-Use all the offset shims inside of the rear upright for a really good stable feel of rear end. Dont forget to readjust the track width though.
-I tried the shorter feelbase, and I didnt like it. After testing it, longer wheelbase than stock can be good I think.
- And last, for a good stock setup, look a few pages back for my last races setup, its really fast and easy to drive.

Thats all for a problem free, fast car!!

Regards
Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Please send us an email ([email protected]) with the parts you need for your NT1 so that we can compare it with the order. Dog bones, clutch parts, cvd's, pulleys... are already in the order.

Also coming are car kits, engines, tires...
Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last two days I did some testing, still had tires and fuel which I wanted to use before the winter break.

On the first day I forgot to put my PT in so I didn't get any official laptimes.
But the car was very good with the 35/37 tires and the Lab engine.
I changed the rear upper rollcentre from full short arm to full long arm, this made the car much better through the fast sweeper and the 180 degree corner.
However I lost some steering so I changed the rear springs from stock to Xray purple. This put the steering back in the car and it was pretty much dialed.

I never tried the steering expo so I decided to give it a try, this works very well and I wish I tried this before. If you haven't tried it start out with -20 with an M11. Makes it much easier to go around the corner in a nice arc and hit the apex.

On the second day the track had even lower traction as the day before and I only had some 40/42 tyres left so laptimes weren't great. Also I used a different engine which had a lot less power compared to the Lab.
The car had some understeer so I gave the rear anti rollbar 2mm of preload.

I've used about 5 litres of fuel with the car until now and I'm very impressed with the low wear. Pulleys and belts are still like new, no slop on any part.
The only part which needs replacing is first gear, the pinion teeth have become quite sharp.

I attached my current setup
Attached Files
Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
Last two days I did some testing, still had tires and fuel which I wanted to use before the winter break.
btw, did you use any of the scientific theory and controls when you compared the two cars? lol You probably even used a different body!! lol
Old 10-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
btw, did you use any of the scientific theory and controls when you compared the two cars? lol You probably even used a different body!! lol
Can you explain a bit more what you mean, don't really get it.
Comparing which two cars, NT1 and Lab?.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Can you explain a bit more what you mean, don't really get it.
Comparing which two cars, NT1 and Lab?.
Yeah, you know the whole Observation, hypothesis... testing using controls, like limiting variables. body, tires, ambient temp etc.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Well first of all, the body I used is one I first used with the NT1. On the Lab the rear body posts are 10-15mm further apart, but for the rest it fits. So that can be left out of the equation. Capricorn tires are very consistent between batches, I have a shore meter to hand pick sets but often this is not needed.

Last two days of testing I was the only car on track, the days before there wasn't any running because of the rain. So I think we can conclude conditions weren't optimal.
On the first day however I recorded a new personal best according to the stopwatch (forgot to transfer the PT from the electro) and on the second day I ended up with a time which matched my fastest with the NT1 during our round of nationals. Keep in mind that the NT1 time was with 35/37 tires and the Lab time with 40/42, there was also a big difference in terms of engine power.

The feel of the Lab is just better, I feel much more connected to the car. This also clearly shows in the consistency of the laptimes. Part of this is down to the shocks, these are very easy to build and very smooth.
The turn in of the Lab is better, much more precise, an NT1 is very vague compared to a Lab.
It also seems like it has more lateral grip. In the 180 degree corner the NT1 always seems to run wide and I had to slow down more compared to other cars. With the Lab I can carry more speed into the corner without the front end washing out, and start accelerating 1-2 meters earlier.

With the Lab I'm only making adjustments to get more steering, as I'm unable to get the rear end to step out. This is something I do with all my cars, when I get to a point that I have more steering than I would like and the back end is still not stepping out I reduce the total steering angle to a point I just have enough steering. This makes for a faster overall car, more straight line speed and less tire wear.
But as I said I'm still trying to get the back end to step out with the Lab, after the winter I will start with increasing the lock of the rear diff, currently running the stock 150K/70K (NT1 80K/40K) but I will try with 80K and up in the rear diff to see if it will step out. If it doesn't the car will accelerate even harder out of the corners.

If you want even more specific information on a particular subject, just ask.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

Well first of all,...

If you want even more specific information on a particular subject, just ask.
DS, what about the serpent DLS? Its supposed to plant the rear, have you considered adapting it?

And Sam, from Kamikaze, I am that brazilian guy than went to your store this week. Do you have the Serpent DLS stocked? I am thinking about droping by again, I forgot to get a Kamikaze shirt! (just that I am in Palm Spring, long drive...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.