Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroVein
Just a thought about the engine rule, if you specify a price they shouldn't go over then use MSRP and update the list ones or twice each year. Otherwise someone could buy a engine on sale for instance.
I hope you will get it all sorted out, best of luck to you all!
MSRP is not a good idea..have you seen what "MSRP" is , even on a super cheap motor???.........no one pays MSRP......i say an average of the motor prices on the big online R C shops is the 250.00 we go by....if someone shows up with a 259.00 motor, i dont think anyone will whine unless they KILLED everyone with that motor.............
Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Taylorm
......I say a "shock" can be used if it's used 1/12th style .............ie. controlling the spring in a chassis /tbar..but no shocks used in conjunction with an arm moving on a pivot pin.............
Think you guys may have missed the point here - if memory serves correctly P2Gee may be referencing the era when guys were locking up the shocks on suspension cars and calling them pan cars - need to prevent that.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

MSRP is not a good idea..have you seen what "MSRP" is , even on a super cheap motor???.........no one pays MSRP......i say an average of the motor prices on the big online R C shops is the 250.00 we go by....if someone shows up with a 259.00 motor, i dont think anyone will whine unless they KILLED everyone with that motor.............
I would toss out making a list at the first of the year with engines that are under the $250 purchase price at the larger mail order places. Then update it after 6 months, taking off what is no longer available and adding anything new. Work with a set number of ports Max at 5 but also allow 3 ports if under the amount.

OR

Just spec a single 3 port motor that is inexpensive and everyone run that.
The Fusion X3 looks like a good option. $135 from Murnan in stock form. (not a plug just an option)

Now to find that Corvette body and dust off the old car box................
Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Dasmopar had a pretty clear and simple set of rules. I am sure the “Rules” will end up very close to what he had posted.
It is also good to have a clear cut simple set of rules; racers like to know what can and cannot be done.
Everyone wants to have some fun with this class; Fun for most of us is getting to race, getting to learn about a new class, getting more wheel time, and even having some close races.
To keep the racing close Rules are part of the game.
And don’t think of the rules as a huge complex thing, what we, or what I would like some basic rules for is to keep the class as it basically is now.
We at some point need to finalize some simple rules package for this year not only for us but for the Midwest series as it entirely possible that we will have a few of these cars to race with at those events.
It would help everyone to try to agree on as much as we can (not everyone will be happy) but we can do our best, for our club and for the Midwest sires for those that are interested.

Does anyone have a problem with the package of rules Dasmopar posted. I cannot really point out anything that needs addressed.
Are we set on GT bodies, cars with roof lines, something like the bodies we are currently running?
After reading most of the posts it seems like most everyone wants the same thing.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

I didn't mean that you should pay MSRP, just take a price and make a list of approved engines.
I know of one racing-class where that has worked out well with tires, each year they update that list. If someone is sponsored and get them for free or if someone buy´s them for MSRP doesn't matter. The good part is that it pays of for them to lower prices in general to make it on that list, so other classes benefits from that to.
But by far the most easy way to go is to adopt the rules that are in use where they already race these cars (they probably already gone through all of this), but perhaps with some alteration that you see fit. That way you also know that if they change any rules where they make these cars, you wont end up with a racing class without any cars to run... Just a thought.

Either way, hope it all works out for you!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitroVein
I didn't mean that you should pay MSRP, just take a price and make a list of approved engines.
I know of one racing-class where that has worked out well with tires, each year they update that list. If someone is sponsored and get them for free or if someone buy´s them for MSRP doesn't matter. The good part is that it pays of for them to lower prices in general to make it on that list, so other classes benefits from that to.
But by far the most easy way to go is to adopt the rules that are in use where they already race these cars (they probably already gone through all of this), but perhaps with some alteration that you see fit. That way you also know that if they change any rules where they make these cars, you wont end up with a racing class without any cars to run... Just a thought.

Either way, hope it all works out for you!
That is a good idea, the down side is policeing that list.

We a Local GT class, rubber tires 4wd off road cars with on road bodies, for that class there is a limit on motor price much like we stated, in GT its 200$ from any major onlines hobby store..

I am sure as posted if someone for that class got a motor for 201 no one would really care.

It will be easy to have a friendly agreement of 250 for this class and non turbo plug.

if we want to keep it simple, after we try a full summer of racing if we come run into a issue and something is way out of wack, things could be changed after the first season.

One thing i know people hate is mid season rule changes, even more so ones that cost other people money, again a great reason for a simple rules package.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra

Does anyone have a problem with the package of rules Dasmopar posted. I cannot really point out anything that needs addressed.
Are we set on GT bodies, cars with roof lines, something like the bodies we are currently running?
After reading most of the posts it seems like most everyone wants the same thing.
The only other thing I see is it looks like if I have the $$ and ability, I can show up and race my 1800g pan car. Really hope this takes off for yall and across the country. In the time I have been racing onroad, some of the best race attendance always occurred when some form of 2wd class was offered.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by P2gee
The only other thing I see is it looks like if I have the $$ and ability, I can show up and race my 1800g pan car. Really hope this takes off for yall and across the country. In the time I have been racing onroad, some of the best race attendance always occurred when some form of 2wd class was offered.
Yes they are pretty light.

That could be a good thing and allow us to add weight to slow people down.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

I just want to play. Enjoy some good close racing and get in some laughs ! Who wants to set around making and up dating list, much less climb all over everyones car to make sure everything matchs the present list?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
I just want to play. Enjoy some good close racing and get in some laughs ! Who wants to set around making and up dating list, much less climb all over everyones car to make sure everything matchs the present list?
I agree. Making a list of every motor under 250 dollar would be a huge list I'm guessing. Even a 3 port non-turbo plug list would be pretty big. As a local club I think we can police our own. Heck look how we all check over everone's cars now. I really don't think this is going to become a class where we need a tech guy. No one is in this class too push the rules and win by having the best car. Its a fun class and nothing more.

My latest rule submission.

Chassis : Any 1/8 scale pan chassis with no shocks nitro powered car.
No suspension cars with locked out shocks af any type. All suspension arms muct be fixed to the chassis with no axis of movement.

Straight axle cars from past run whatever motor and which ever body.

Modern pan cars with adjustable camber and toe run GT bodies.

Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. Rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and can not be completely cut out.

Tires : Any commercially available foam based tires allowed.
All tires must fit under the body. (No addition of wheel flares)

No electronics may be added to aid in vehicle stability. (Matt Taylor rule)

Any .21 3 port non-turbo engine.

Regular price suggested to be under $250 not including tax. (Use Tower Hobbies, Stormer Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies or any other large retail store as price reference.) Engines bought on clearance price or sales should not be used if normaly priced over $250.00

Points will be awarded just like they are awarded in the midwest series. 20 for Qual. 80 for the main.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
Yes they are pretty light.

That could be a good thing and allow us to add weight to slow people down.
......i say Jeff gets a cinder block at the start of the season..........
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

......i say Jeff gets a cinder block at the start of the season..........
I really like the idea of adding weight to the winners car but I have no idea how much weight it would take to slow a car down 0.100 sec or how much weight would slow it down 1.00 sec. We need to do some testing on that.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
...not me......lets just go with the $250.00 then..turbo or non turbo it doesn't matter to me....there are tons of decent motors for under 250.....i put my O.S. VG back in mine....its like a $145.00 motor............
Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Here are some Power Plants

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Standard-Plug

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXKX8&P=SM http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2057.html

Motonica GT Body - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...smo-Body-Clear http://www.motonica.com/en/products/BODY_8

Rules sound good.

Last edited by ElliotCanada; 09-09-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

..Is anyone going to volunteer to call Parma to see if any old 1/8 molds are avaiable to pop some new bodies out?..i like this idea better than shipping all our money to Italy.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.