Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff whiting
Shoot me a part number on the 5 port someone or a link please. Thanks.

Is it this one? http://www.novarossi.com/2012/index....ad/n21-5t.html

Jeff
That's the one, Jeff.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Thanks for the info. What is the "combo" for this motor? I haven't seen it.
Sorry, With "the combo" I mean novarossi 5p basic motor plus Hipex low noise set. This is the pipe http://www.abc-rc-shop.nl/product_in...ducts_id=23102 and it also needs a Hipex low noise manifold.

That will reduce the noise to roughly 83-84db (in a 4wd) without tuning difficulties or reducing the topend.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 08-29-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

Default Bewildered

I thought there was a basic rule of thumb already in place which was 250 dollars max.If you can find a 7 port motor for under that price and feel the need to put that in your car, go ahead and do it.And let's not forget a 3 port motor did TQ at the GLC.Nice job Joe Tuttle!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default rules

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
I thought there was a basic rule of thumb already in place which was 250 dollars max.If you can find a 7 port motor for under that price and feel the need to put that in your car, go ahead and do it.And let's not forget a 3 port motor did TQ at the GLC.Nice job Joe Tuttle!
unless get set firm rules this will get out hand like it always dose, why not resrtictor class like old school .250.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

before the discussion gets heated up.

I am just agreeing with mr history that the 5 port basic motor is very good as that is the clubmotor here due to noise restrictions. It has been tested thoroughly. That is all. Forget the rest I wrote, that was just extra info about the direction the drivers/volunteers went with a specific problem that the club has and that in the end it worked out for the club. Otherwise it would probably have to shut down after a couple of years because it is not feasible to maintain the club/track with only the electric section.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Rules of Thumb

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
That's the more important part of this discussion. Having "rules of thumb" and "Written" rules. While you are correct about a $250 limit, the rest of the "ROT" was 3 ports and non-turbo plugs.

Without written rules this is a never ending conversation...

Ned
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gary NJ
That's the one, Jeff.
Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Meh

And here I am, four days later, knees and back healed up enough to get about again. Woo. Even mowed a little grass today (y'know, maybe if I set the camber/caster on my lawn mower, I could get around the trees a little better...and softer shore shoes to get better traction pushing....hmmm.)

We all had a blast (except pitting for Tom and his engine that refused to stay running, and picking up garbage from around the pit areas nightly because some people were too lazy to find a trash can six feet away.) Particuarly enjoyed the pan....a part in the drivetrain failed, or I might have placed. We'll get that fixed and soon I hope because week after next we go to see about having parts mass produced so we can offer a pan car kit as of January '14. I'll be asking Billy Bowerman, Mike Myers and a few others for some webpage space to get the word out...we feel like we have a good product that can go head to head with the others, yet is durable enough for kids and sloppy drivers like Lon Sr. to run (take that.)

I don't think the engines are going to be much of an issue. I made a late engine change (right before the main, as a matter of fact) and was running 3rd when the drivetrain pin dislodged...an untuned engine of dubious quality. Unless someone wants to volunteer to tech and crack engines open to inspect, it's pointless. As a f'r instance, I remember running superstock with a Paris engine that got me TQ but would have put me in the "B" main open, with a .202 restrictor. This point is best addressed the way some of the others are....when we have sufficient numbers running, we'll worry about it, but until then we're creating problems that really don't exist yet (IMHO.) Every other detail concerning the cars is covered nicely by the existing ROAR rules concerning 1/8 2wd, so we're in good shape there.

Tom has agreed to run the pan the last few races, need a break from the GT plus more input on the pan before we go into production. This is basically the car we're going with. I was contemplating getting Edam to produce a belt drive pan with mods, and I've soured on that idea. There are already two pan car types out there...both are belt drive (practically the same car, to my eye.) The single advantage an Edam build was providing, in my opinion, was a major manufacturer and possibly a much lower sale price. The more I ran our prototype, the better I liked it, and it's drastically different from the others. Too many cars out there are carbon copies of others (I should know since I sell one of the carbon copies). I think we have a good product, I know it's durable, it'll be mostly American made, and we'll have fun doing it. We're planning an initial run of 10 kits, at least two of which I'll make availible to the hobby shop up there in Toledo for sale. Any Toledo club drivers wanting to buy one will qualify for the Lon Burling Sr. rewards program..purchase of a kit will include a six pack of cheap beer and one bottle of maximum strength Excedrin (while supplies last, Tom drinks the beer and I take the Excedrin.)
Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default STOP IT!

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
And here I am, four days later, knees and back healed up enough to get about again. Woo. Even mowed a little grass today (y'know, maybe if I set the camber/caster on my lawn mower, I could get around the trees a little better...and softer shore shoes to get better traction pushing....hmmm.)

We all had a blast (except pitting for Tom and his engine that refused to stay running, and picking up garbage from around the pit areas nightly because some people were too lazy to find a trash can six feet away.) Particuarly enjoyed the pan....a part in the drivetrain failed, or I might have placed. We'll get that fixed and soon I hope because week after next we go to see about having parts mass produced so we can offer a pan car kit as of January '14. I'll be asking Billy Bowerman, Mike Myers and a few others for some webpage space to get the word out...we feel like we have a good product that can go head to head with the others, yet is durable enough for kids and sloppy drivers like Lon Sr. to run (take that.)

I don't think the engines are going to be much of an issue. I made a late engine change (right before the main, as a matter of fact) and was running 3rd when the drivetrain pin dislodged...an untuned engine of dubious quality. Unless someone wants to volunteer to tech and crack engines open to inspect, it's pointless. As a f'r instance, I remember running superstock with a Paris engine that got me TQ but would have put me in the "B" main open, with a .202 restrictor. This point is best addressed the way some of the others are....when we have sufficient numbers running, we'll worry about it, but until then we're creating problems that really don't exist yet (IMHO.) Every other detail concerning the cars is covered nicely by the existing ROAR rules concerning 1/8 2wd, so we're in good shape there.

Tom has agreed to run the pan the last few races, need a break from the GT plus more input on the pan before we go into production. This is basically the car we're going with. I was contemplating getting Edam to produce a belt drive pan with mods, and I've soured on that idea. There are already two pan car types out there...both are belt drive (practically the same car, to my eye.) The single advantage an Edam build was providing, in my opinion, was a major manufacturer and possibly a much lower sale price. The more I ran our prototype, the better I liked it, and it's drastically different from the others. Too many cars out there are carbon copies of others (I should know since I sell one of the carbon copies). I think we have a good product, I know it's durable, it'll be mostly American made, and we'll have fun doing it. We're planning an initial run of 10 kits, at least two of which I'll make availible to the hobby shop up there in Toledo for sale. Any Toledo club drivers wanting to buy one will qualify for the Lon Burling Sr. rewards program..purchase of a kit will include a six pack of cheap beer and one bottle of maximum strength Excedrin (while supplies last, Tom drinks the beer and I take the Excedrin.)
You almost got me with the beer! Good luck with your project!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Phil I totally agree with you on the motor issue. We've got some momentum now and I don't think there are any problems worthy of derailing our progress. Let's just keep racing.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Phil I totally agree with you on the motor issue. We've got some momentum now and I don't think there are any problems worthy of derailing our progress. Let's just keep racing.
I know we've got some momentum, and I hope to do my part to keep that going. The biggest issue on our list outside of durability will be cost. A Delta didn't cost much to run over the course of the year because hardly anything ever broke on it. I've run the prototype over the year, and outside of engineering snafus on my part (things I had to learn the hard way, testing one build vs. another like with gear ratios) I still haven't broken any parts, including the hubs (which are plastic from Edam, tho anyone elses hubs should also fit.) Durability means more laps at less cost. Not every driver is a clean driver....I can see the two Joes running cheaply all year because they rarely hit anything, we're trying for a product that'll keep running regardless what you hit without sacrificing a competitive edge, and while we're certainly not in the league of the Campbells (or even a Rick Davis, who built an extremely nice, solid, lightweight pan sitting on a shelf somewhere) we are confident we'll get the job done. We have so many advantages. Pan cars can turn 21 second laps on lesser engines running cast off 4wd tires...which means we can get the guys on a budget back into our hobby. I don't know about your area, but I don't recall too many newbies in Toledo, sticker shock has that effect on people with bills to pay.

Pretty satisfied with how the gearing turned out...still never bothered to check what is in the diff, but I bumped to a 21 on the pinion, and the spur is a 40 Revo gear. I don't think I was giving up much on the backstraight, and I know it was getting the job done in the infield, and we get the options of a 38 for a monster track or bump to a 42 for a tight track. And gearing changes can help a weak motor keep up with the stronger ones. Now all I need to do is unload the old stuff taking up room so I can get a bunch of new stuff taking up room.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Post ROAR Region 1 REGIONALS

Posted roll call under rc world depot on forum 8-29 30 plus so far!!!
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-roar-flyer-reg1.png  
Old 08-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default The movement, which way is it going??

I hope you all will watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=V74AxCqOTvg
First I passed this video up, then went back, something to think about!

Jason, I challenge you to make a movement work and not just add a class to the program. There is always lots of motor talk, our 3-ports worked good, yet you have picked a 5-port motor. I would suggest as some one else has, no restriction for any 3-port, 6mm (maybe 5.4) for anything else.

Dare to be different, reject the modern thingie bodies. Ya the fast guys want them to go faster, this class is not about going faster. The car on the track with a well done older body stands out from the 4wd car. The racing will remain the same. Hell, have a GT event.

The hobby needs help and here is a thought, Do not let the team concept as we know it get into this class. Everyone should go to their dealer for there stuff. Having track side parts is a service to everyone and is not what I mean. Save this class for the laid back guy that might even choose to build his own car or bring out his oldie. 2wd guys just want to have FUN! Team guys are all about winning.

Its been a fun class in Toledo, I'm sure it will be in N.Y. and any where. We have lots of all out race classes, but we need a simple fun class to make a difference

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!! Thoughts of a one handed guy, "I'm with you all the way!"
Old 08-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Nitro Touring

Originally Posted by rc world depot
Posted roll call under rc world depot on forum 8-29 30 plus so far!!!
What is this class? Sounds interesting!!

OOPS!

I see from the WRC thread, this is a typo...darn

Ned

Last edited by aarcobra; 08-30-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Error
Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
First I passed this video up, then went back, something to think about!

Jason, I challenge you to make a movement work and not just add a class to the program. There is always lots of motor talk, our 3-ports worked good, yet you have picked a 5-port motor. I would suggest as some one else has, no restriction for any 3-port, 6mm (maybe 5.4) for anything else.

Dare to be different, reject the modern thingie bodies. Ya the fast guys want them to go faster, this class is not about going faster. The car on the track with a well done older body stands out from the 4wd car. The racing will remain the same. Hell, have a GT event.

The hobby needs help and here is a thought, Do not let the team concept as we know it get into this class. Everyone should go to their dealer for there stuff. Having track side parts is a service to everyone and is not what I mean. Save this class for the laid back guy that might even choose to build his own car or bring out his oldie. 2wd guys just want to have FUN! Team guys are all about winning.

Its been a fun class in Toledo, I'm sure it will be in N.Y. and any where. We have lots of all out race classes, but we need a simple fun class to make a difference

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!! Thoughts of a one handed guy, "I'm with you all the way!"
see you next spring sr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.