Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Matt, Keep us posted please. You seem to find the more interesting stuff, keep it up. I think I saw some neat pictures of of the latest of Ned's French Fry car, it too was neat. It'd be nice if we could find a pan that was linked to someone like X-ray or Serpent, something we might be able to sneak in the back door
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Ned, Are you able to reach Gary Kayes to maybe track down Bob Welch? Some sort of input from a former manufacturer, perhaps some tips on making a car happen could be fun if nothing else! It just seems that any sort of simple car that made it into production in the 70s could be reborn again in 2012 or 13. You can be CEO of the new Rag Car Co. (You need something to do with your time any how!)
Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Tech Master

Flygio on here drives the Mantua Intrepid MC2. It seems to be a good car and indeed Mantua is from Italy as is the WRC GT Due that won the French Championships this year. The WRC is even more basic than the other brands. It hasn't got ballbearings for the brake spindle for instance. The spindle is inserted in the plastic bulkhead and that is it. Seems to work ok with some handfitting.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Just a tad perturbed

Slightly off-post but bear with me....

As everyone knows, I've got a ton of old stuff, mostly Delta (it's called being a pack-rat.) A lot of this stuff is 2wd.

I've sold some stuff on ebay and done quite well. I typically get offers, usually on a weekly basis, from someone wanting to buy something I've got.

I definitely don't mind making a buck on stuff that would otherwise sit around (and I'm trying to do something about that, way too much stuff around here if I'm eventually moving to Florida.) But, I also want to help out people that have other motives (like a museum) or guys who otherwise couldn't afford something they've wanted for a long time.

There's this fellow named Romulus who purportedly has a museum. To the best of my knowledge, he's interviewed many of the old timers from "back in the day" and has an extensive collection of cars. He has interviewed me as well and has angled for some of my stuff...I've been inclined to send some his way, our hobby may be small potatos to others but for some people it's a little more, and I would want to help out such a person.

The problem is, I've recently received e-mail claiming that it's a "quasi-museum", and that some of the items donated or sold very cheaply are in fact being whizzed and then put out on the market for profit. On the one hand, I could see doing that with duplicate items as a way to help fund the museum...but on the other hand, lack of full disclosure in doing such a thing would make me question the motives of the person doing so.

Puts me in a pickle...a "perfect pickle"...if you get my drift. And here's the options. One, I can let stuff go to whoever wants it for whatever it sells for and make it "not my problem." Two, I can let it go cheap to those who want it, supposedly for purposes other than to try and turn a buck. Three, I can just set on it....hell, I've had most of this stuff for over 30 years, what's another 30 years?? And of course, how could I recommend that one person sell or donate to another if I don't know the motives of the buyer fully? I am very fortunate in that I'm not exactly hurting for a buck, but I'd feel responsible were I to help convince someone else to sell at low price to an individual who may not be what they represent. Dealing with people long distance makes it difficult to get a good read on things.

Anyone who has a thought on this, I'd love to hear it, and if you don't want it aired publically, shoot me a PM. I'm not trying to cast aspersions on Romulus or anyone else, but I need this issue proved or disproved for my own peace of mind.

Thanx all.......
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Romulus has built a museum on his property and as far as I know he is not asking for or buying vintage cars and products and in turn selling them at a profit. His place is 2 doors down from the guy that runs our club (GLARCRC), and for the 2 years or so since I met him, he seems to be on the up and up. I have visited his place a couple of times and it is pretty impressive. He does come to our club races from time to time. If he is asking for donations or looking to buy your stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to help him out.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Slightly off-post but bear with me...

Anyone who has a thought on this, I'd love to hear it, and if you don't want it aired publically, shoot me a PM. I'm not trying to cast aspersions on Romulus or anyone else, but I need this issue proved or disproved for my own peace of mind.

Thanx all.......
Sell/donate cars, parts etc with a written ageement stipulating your terms.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
Sell/donate cars, parts etc with a written ageement stipulating your terms.
That's a thought. Somehow it's almost like high school in a way, and irritating. On the one hand, someone I hardly know has a grievance to air that may/may not be valid. On the other hand is a person that I have dealt with, many others have as well, and I've never heard so much as a single complaint. The best course for the individual who contacted me would have been for either them to confront Romulus themselves, air it publically, or say nothing at all. Then again, I've spent the better part of the day on the roof making trusses, my knees are singing "ave maria" in harmony, and I'm a wee bit testy.

Back to something of actual importance...lol. The more I think on it, the happier I am about giving building a pan from scratch a shot, I'm glad Matt is doing it as well (one of 'em is bound to work.) Where do we stand so far on Indy bodies? Whoever is punching those out, I wouldn't mind picking up two more just for myself...I forgot how good a pan car looks with an Indy body and wing. I'll have to have a look and see about fabricating one that will adapt to the 4wd style rear end, I plan to make my bulkheads where they will accept wing tubes (thanx again Rick and Ned on the info for that) but anyone else would have to find a different way to mount a wing (unless the new body has a wing incorporated into it.)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
. I'll have to have a look and see about fabricating one that will adapt to the 4wd style rear end, I plan to make my bulkheads where they will accept wing tubes (thanx again Rick and Ned on the info for that) but anyone else would have to find a different way to mount a wing (unless the new body has a wing incorporated into it.)
...ned had cool homemade mounts that had the wing attached to the body.........forget how they were setup...hey NED...wake up and post some pictures of 'em......
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Default Wake up Matt!

Go to hobbysc.com, REVOLUTION part #REV1030 These seem a bite on the light side if you drive like I do. Do you see any open wheel body wings out there? I think the open wheel thing would be a blast!
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Default Different

Garen, Can you give me more details on that WRX car that someone was bringing into the States? How about that BP car you said you could get? Perhaps it's time to get some different hardware here in the Midwest area.
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Garen, Can you give me more details on that WRX car that someone was bringing into the States? How about that BP car you said you could get? Perhaps it's time to get some different hardware here in the Midwest area.
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Cabin fever setting in?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Not Sure

I'm embracing the thought that while 4wd is about going as fast as you can (no matter what the cost), we in Toledo have a choice in that the pan car is just fun (less effected by cost). We don't know how lucky we are! I plan on enjoying it more.
Ned put this neat F1 body in my hands, pretty sure I can get it on a P8C. A hand full of open wheel cars would just be so cool! Three of our P8Cs are due to be replaced, perhaps there is something else to drag on to the scene. Cabin Fever, maybe, not sure!
Good to see you're out there Farmer.
LETS RACE SOME MORE!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

I'm embracing the thought that while 4wd is about going as fast as you can (no matter what the cost), we in Toledo have a choice in that the pan car is just fun (less effected by cost). We don't know how lucky we are! I plan on enjoying it more.
Ned put this neat F1 body in my hands, pretty sure I can get it on a P8C. A hand full of open wheel cars would just be so cool! Three of our P8Cs are due to be replaced, perhaps there is something else to drag on to the scene. Cabin Fever, maybe, not sure!
LETS RACE SOME MORE!
Obviously I have no prob running open wheel...I have a body or two that fit the Delta, and the design we're going with will take the Indy body as well. I like the looks of the thing and I think it makes pan stand out from the rest. I'll go whatever way the consensus is.

And...I have two old wings. I really didn't want to chance either of them as they aren't in very good shape so I fabricated one out of aluminum, it'll look good under paint, help take the impact should a car flip, and add a little weight to the back for traction. Don't know what anyone elses plan is for rear wing but I think that'd be the way to go. If I can pick up another Indy body I'll try mounting one on the Edam (same rear configuration as what you others guys have mostly) and see what it would entail to make a seperate wing (unless you guys are going with bodies that have a built in wing.) I wouldn't mind a few Coyote bodies myself, they always handled EXCEPTIONALLY well on the SuperJ...and they look really good!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default What to do?

I am trying to figure out what my 11 year old son will race next year.

We attended the Snow Ball race in Cinci a few weeks ago and Das 1/8th Mopar was kind enough to let my son drive his P8C for a qualifier and of course my son loved it and wants one. I think it could be a good car for him and would keep the maintenance down for me. The down side is, with several cars to look after this means I have to have another starter box and at least a few bits and pieces to keep it running. Or I could keep him in a touring car again this year or I have even kicked around the idea of putting him in a 4WD with a lower end motor and hope he does not get run over in the back strait.

He might just have the most fun running a pan car with some of the other guys his age but I guess I am concerned he would not get to run at some of the races outside of the Midwest Series.

Our next race will be at the Florida WinterNats in February so I have a little time to kick it around. What do you all think?

Jeff
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

LETS RACE SOME MORE!
"Out there" is an understatement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.