Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Just sitting here, waiting for my back to subside, and thinking about pan racing. Every now and then I get a real oddball idea that is pretty bad yet the more I think about it the more appealing it gets. Like..

...if we gave turn marshalls sledgehammers and their goal was to knock out cars rather than restore them to the track.

...would anyone notice if I installed one of those James Bond oil slick things in the back of my car and used it now and then.

...opposing teams of cars pushing something like a hockey puck towards a goal. We could even have a penalty pit for slamming opposing drivers.

...I saw Fonzie jump a motorcycle over a bunch of sharks once. With all that new asphalt, I think a shark tank would look really good in the middle of the backstraight, but getting volunteers to turn marshall that area may be a problem.

...a Death race/demolition derby type event, tho some people might say I'm already doing that by the way I drive sometimes.

I have even worse ideas, but I'll keep them to myself for the sake of the rooms' mental health....
Phil,
Might be time to have your meds checked!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Phil,
Might be time to have your meds checked!!!
Meds can be checked?? Who knew....lol.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Default K...

Originally Posted by Taylorm
dats me..........pm sent.............
Didn't feel good past few days so I just today got the foam sent out...overnighted it since I'm running so far behind, one set of delta slices and one set of mrp foams. Try to remember where you got that foam from should be meet on the track in less than optimal circumstances...lol.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Didn't feel good past few days so I just today got the foam sent out...overnighted it since I'm running so far behind, one set of delta slices and one set of mrp foams. Try to remember where you got that foam from should be meet on the track in less than optimal circumstances...lol.
.....got them today...holy crap...did you overnight them?...23 bux.......you didnt have to do that...much appreciated....
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Default Nah

.....got them today...holy crap...did you overnight them?...23 bux.......you didnt have to do that...much appreciated....
It's my own damn fault for not getting out monday and getting it took care of, if nothing else I could have gotten Tom to do it but didn't so that makes it my bust and had to make it right. You need a couple days to cure to make sure the things will hold and there's a race sunday. I'm just glad the postal service actually did what they said they would. Remember, those slices and donuts have been sitting in bags for better than 20 years (at least 30 in the case of the MRP donuts.) They don't appear dry but I'd be watchful of them anyways, just in case.

While I'm talking about shipping, thought I'd pass along something odd/good....needed to order up some more spares for the Edam. Those parts come from Taiwan (does anything get made here in the states anymore.) I ordered and paid for the stuff last friday night. The stuff was on my doorstep monday afternoon. On the one hand, kudos to Edam on shipping....wow. On the other hand, I can't get a letter from here to Columbus in that time frame, what's up with that?

Just out of curiosity, are you running pan at the GLC? If not, wouldn't mind having your antique set with mine on the table I'm setting up. I got a huge popup with walls, about 10 x 20, for setting up tables and laying stuff out....
Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Just out of curiosity, are you running pan at the GLC? If not, wouldn't mind having your antique set with mine on the table I'm setting up. I got a huge popup with walls, about 10 x 20, for setting up tables and laying stuff out....
......wont be able to make it again this year also...my employer thinks its cool to force me to work EVERY FREAKIN Saturday of my life.....but guess what almost NO management works on the weekend.........If they are not needed on the weekend why do i need them on weekdays??..maybe now that my contract is settled they will give 1/2 of them their walking papers...........
Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

......wont be able to make it again this year also...my employer thinks its cool to force me to work EVERY FREAKIN Saturday of my life.....but guess what almost NO management works on the weekend.........If they are not needed on the weekend why do i need them on weekdays??..maybe now that my contract is settled they will give 1/2 of them their walking papers...........
If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that there's too much "management" in everything. I've yet to see the job rank and file can't do better and cheaper and without so much useless talk. Like someone with a PHD, which I've always read as "piled higher and deeper."

Keep trying for that weekend anyhow...it's a great race, and best of luck to you.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default I did it again

Bought another rc today....

The local hobby shop has offroad and some 1/10 stuff. But last year when I was in there, the guy had what looked like a very old MRP on the counter. Didn't want to sell it, said he was going to fix it up and put it on a shelf.

Fast forward to this year, I was in there today and asked if he still had the car...and he did....and managed to get him to part with it. Not sure of the age but it's definitely MRP, straight axle, band style brake (missing the band). Most of the rest of it is still there, including the old one piece setup that had the electronics in it, and a Veco 19 with twist carb that still turns. This sucker is OLD!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Bought another rc today....

The local hobby shop has offroad and some 1/10 stuff. But last year when I was in there, the guy had what looked like a very old MRP on the counter. Didn't want to sell it, said he was going to fix it up and put it on a shelf.

Fast forward to this year, I was in there today and asked if he still had the car...and he did....and managed to get him to part with it. Not sure of the age but it's definitely MRP, straight axle, band style brake (missing the band). Most of the rest of it is still there, including the old one piece setup that had the electronics in it, and a Veco 19 with twist carb that still turns. This sucker is OLD!
...we want pics.............especially NEDSTER....
Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Well

Another club race come and gone. I sat this one out, driving-wise, and spent time helping out Tom and Dave with their cars instead. I regretted that later when some schmuck named Rick trotted out his pan for the main, after skipping the quals...and I was wondering, why didn't I think of that? Could've helped out the guys and still got a main in...I'll file that one away and remember better in the future, but clearly more evidence that the old brain is slipping even more.

REALLY good turnout for pan as usual and the cars were moving pretty well it seemed. Another schmuck named Lon seemed to have a good day and got lots of practice in learning how to flip over GT's while passing them....shame shame shame. And Lon's grandkids are getting really good, but I take heart in an old expression, something like "old age and treachery will overcome youth and inexperience."

And Ned...had the new/old MRP there to show. I'll drag it to Cincy so you can lay eyes on it, it's definitely the oldest thing outside of a heathkit that I've ever personally laid eyes on. The flywheel is so big that if you run out of rear rubber, you can run on it (and probably get better traction, too.) I'm still a little amazed there is such a good turnout for pan in such a short period of time, and there was a lot of good racing out there for them. I'm really looking forward to the GLC, I suspect there will be a lot of pan cars there, and they seem to be hooking up really well on that new asphalt. All in all, it was a pretty good day, but that drive home afterward is a real killer...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

A picture Farmer posted on face book that I have stolen and whored all over the interwebz.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Default Killer "B's"!!!

Originally Posted by Dasmopar

A picture Farmer posted on face book that I have stolen and whored all over the interwebz.
Wow what a turn out!! Looks like the Killer "B's" have it all together! Good runs for Farmer and Dave S. too! What happened to Rick and the Joes?

Is it finally over for the "GT" (Gigantic Truck) class? Did Sr. really dump a bunch of them as he sped by? lol
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

[

And Ned...had the new/old MRP there to show. I'll drag it to Cincy so you can lay eyes on it, it's definitely the oldest thing outside of a heathkit that I've ever personally laid eyes on. The flywheel is so big that if you run out of rear rubber, you can run on it (and probably get better traction, too.) I'm still a little amazed there is such a good turnout for pan in such a short period of time, and there was a lot of good racing out there for them. I'm really looking forward to the GLC, I suspect there will be a lot of pan cars there, and they seem to be hooking up really well on that new asphalt. All in all, it was a pretty good day, but that drive home afterward is a real killer...[/QUOTE]

Phil, Although I really would like to have made it up to the club race(s) 600+ miles is just too much for me!! Talk about a killer drive....
Please do bring as much MRP stuff to Cinci for me to check out!! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have!! I really want to see the diff, need to find a better way to make them to use the new wheels...

The pan turnout has to do with one, hard working, dedicated, guy, Lon Sr. I think he just needed a little push last year to get the Motonica's back out and when Joe Patrick, Matt, and I started bench racing about how cool a vintage pan class would be, he flipped around to Modern Pans, and never looked back!!

Now he has to figure out how to get more interest the other Midwest Series clubs and then the WORLD!! Any ideas?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

And to reward himself, Lon's new car is coming this week.

I am trying to get this class going here in L.A. 3 of us have cars, another 4 or 5 saying they will do it if the other 4 or 5 commit, so we might actually be racing 2wd pan cars before the end of the year.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by garen
And to reward himself, Lon's new car is coming this week.

I am trying to get this class going here in L.A. 3 of us have cars, another 4 or 5 saying they will do it if the other 4 or 5 commit, so we might actually be racing 2wd pan cars before the end of the year.
The classic catch 22 of all classes. I will get one if he does, but you have to get someone to pull the trigger first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.