Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

IF one of the wheels lifts up before the other one first then it might be that one of the springs are more compressed? When you lift the car the suspension is suppose to drop down a little and if one shock is not accurate this will happen. Im not sure but I usually tighten the front springs so there is little play when its on 4 wheels so I know they are both even. That way its easier to see if one of the shocks have more rebound than the other. I get confused as well when I lift the front of my car and I notice one side sags faster so its hard to tell if your suspension is off. Could be one shock has more oil than the other? Hope his helps
Old 01-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Doug Darby
Tonight I ran the complete setup routine on the 710, starting with droop (downstops) and working all the way through the final step on the Tweak board. After getting the car perfect on the tweak station, I decided to try the other method of checking tweak by lifting the rear of the car using a pointed object in the v of the rear shock tower. When I did this both rear tires picked up off the board at exactly the same time as I would have anticipated.

The front was a different story. Continually one tire lifted about 1.5mm higher that the other. After checking the shocks completely and setting hteir length exactly the same and having the rebound exactly the same, I tried it with the sway bar unhooked as well as hooked, and saw no change. Each time I lifted the front of the car carefully from the middle screw of the bumper the left front tire lifted first by 1.5mm. My last resort was to try adjusting the droop (downstop) of the right front arm. By doing so I was able to get the front tires to lift exactly at the same time. I then put the car back on the tweak station and it was almost exactly centered as it had been before I started this ordeal. I then removed the tires to see what I had done to the droop and as I anticipated the right side was set at about 2 while the left was still on 0.

My intuition tells me that the car should perform better with the wheels lifting simultaneously, but I sure can not figure out why the droop (downstop) settings are so far apart to get it to lift both wheels simultaneously. I keep thinking there must be something wrong in the front end parts.

Your thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Assuming that all parts of the suspension are free, and the down stops are set EVENLY in front, visuallize what happens when you slowly lift the front of the car. If the rear of the car WERE NOT TWEAKED, the front tires would HAVE to lift simultaneously. To confirm this for yourself, set the middle of the car on a Hudy block, with the weight far enough foreward that the front wheels are on the table and the rear wheels are in the air. At that time the front wheels MUST lift at the same time, because you set the EXACT SAME DROOP on both sides. You are simply measuring droop a different way. When you raise the front end,and get the left front tire lifting first it is because the left rear is elevating the left side of the chassis more than the right rear is, and is transfering weight from the left rear to the right front. When you are adjusting the FRONT balance you do it by adjusting the preload on the REAR springs. Remember, when you loosen the pre-load on the left rear spring you must increase pre-load the same amount on the right rear spring, so that your ride height does not change. Vice versa on the other end.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
Could be one shock has more oil than the other?
Perhaps. Rebound of the shocks must be set equal left and right. The Losi shock tool will help you.

But JABRONI has a highly accurate tool from Integy (if I'm not mistaken) that checks even spring rates !
Old 01-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by clmbia45
Assuming that all parts of the suspension are free, and the down stops are set EVENLY in front, visuallize what happens when you slowly lift the front of the car. If the rear of the car WERE NOT TWEAKED, the front tires would HAVE to lift simultaneously. To confirm this for yourself, set the middle of the car on a Hudy block, with the weight far enough foreward that the front wheels are on the table and the rear wheels are in the air. At that time the front wheels MUST lift at the same time, because you set the EXACT SAME DROOP on both sides. You are simply measuring droop a different way. When you raise the front end,and get the left front tire lifting first it is because the left rear is elevating the left side of the chassis more than the right rear is, and is transfering weight from the left rear to the right front. When you are adjusting the FRONT balance you do it by adjusting the preload on the REAR springs. Remember, when you loosen the pre-load on the left rear spring you must increase pre-load the same amount on the right rear spring, so that your ride height does not change. Vice versa on the other end.
That's exactly how Julius would put it ! I remember him writing about this sometime back in the Starting Grid.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
Every time I walk into my LHS, the 710 there waves and blows kisses - the little vixen!!!!!!!
Oh, you weakling !

Be strong and steadfast ! Like me...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Tech Prophet

When tweaking, do you do like in the setup book? I've always adjusted the spring tension on the shocks at the end of the car where there is an imbalance (left to right), but the setup book says if the front is tweaked adjusted to rear spring tension.
The book is right. Jack answered your question why it needs to be done like it is suppose to be done.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

lol!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Oh, you weakling !

Be strong and steadfast ! Like me...
A fine role model if there ever was one You two timer!!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Tech Prophet

A fine role model if there ever was one You two timer!!!!
Well, I can argue that it's still indeed another snake ! An evolutionised one at that !
Old 01-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

The book is right. Jack answered your question why it needs to be done like it is suppose to be done.
Hey, it's early here - I'm not really that dumb all the time
Old 01-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I can argue that it's still indeed another snake ! An evolutionised one at that !
Every try that argument with your wife about her sister
Old 01-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

DEEEAAAAMMMMM!!!! I would get my bearing handed to me~!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Tweaked

Doug, with present (tweaked) car.
If you snap the trigger form standstill, is your car always pull to the right?
If yes, try to put 30-40 gr lead beside your tank, leftside.

Or,
Set your downstop using 10mm droop block.
But in the rear do not use outer part of the hub (Like we used to), I never got my chasis right when Im using that point.
Instead, Im using the lower part of shock mounting hole. This tip is coming form pyramid and cures all of my problem.

I do not know how/why, pls try and hope that helps.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Hey, it's early here - I'm not really that dumb all the time
You never know !
Old 01-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Tech Prophet

I just checked ! Wifey does not have a sister !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.