Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

I just turned my shocktower around so that the body posts came a little more forward, enough to "miss" the spoilermount. Could get some pics if you like to.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Again a new car? nice marketing i gues... :s
The 710 has it's 2:nd birthday this winter, so I don't know if you can say "again". Although, I will keep my 710 as it is at least one more season, I love it too much to get a new one
Old 08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default Clutch problem

Hi guys,

I am about to cut/mod my clutch shoe and I am confuse... I don't know what to cut... Do I cut the clutch shoe or flyweight or both? Which one is the flyweight and which is clutch shoe? Thanks!

A: Is this the clutch shoe?
[IMG][/IMG]

B: Flyweight?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gfd2726
Hi guys,

I am about to cut/mod my clutch shoe and I am confuse... I don't know what to cut... Do I cut the clutch shoe or flyweight or both? Which one is the flyweight and which is clutch shoe? Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
A: the flyweight
B: the clutch shoe

chao
Old 08-08-2005, 04:59 PM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gfd2726
Hi guys,

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
You have it backwards.
The 3 pieces are 802507 centrifugal shoes (flyweights) and the round 1 piece is the 802508 clutch shoe.

I believe that you can use the clutch shoe and cut into 1/3's or cut the ends off the flyweights and lay them between the posts. They are a little different so the outcome will not be the same. When you install the clutch shoe (where it is supposed to go) you do not modify it.

The parts I'm not completely sure about are the weight and the fit. I thought someone said to lighten the flyweights by drilling holes in them but I don't know why. I also don't know if they should just lay in there or if they should be snug.

Not much help but it's a start.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:03 PM
jag
Tech Master

Default Who??

Is that "The Mike Swauger" brousing the 710 forum?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag
Is that "The Mike Swauger" brousing the 710 forum?
maybe he is looking for a better car
Old 08-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by New_Toasted
The 710 has it's 2:nd birthday this winter, so I don't know if you can say "again". Although, I will keep my 710 as it is at least one more season, I love it too much to get a new one
I raced out an bought the 710 when it was first released, but i had problems with the thrust bearing in the centax an gave up in frustration... I think most of my problems were more user issues then anything else , but it still looks like you need to mod the clutch to get better performance from it?

All i want is a car that is not going to require a heap of hop ups to get the thing to run for a full 5 minutes... aka G4\Mongoose!

I guess the MTX4 is another option, but i'd then end up being a sheep at my local track

Imput always welcome...

BB
Old 08-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear

All i want is a car that is not going to require a heap of hop ups to get the thing to run for a full 5 minutes... aka G4\Mongoose!

BB
The 710 can run for a full 5 minutes out of the box. Did it for over a year
Old 08-09-2005, 02:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RoyU
The 710 can run for a full 5 minutes out of the box. Did it for over a year
I could have done the same but the temptation was too strong to resist testing out the goodies.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
maybe he is looking for a better car

Marcos, how are you? Still running the Schumacher or are you itching to get back to the 710?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by New_Toasted
I just turned my shocktower around so that the body posts came a little more forward, enough to "miss" the spoilermount. Could get some pics if you like to.
That is correct. If you want more steering, you mount the body slightly to the front and you still get into the rear spoiler.

To avoid that completely, you need to be a renegade and join the Two Tower's club like what Mark Green did for his car.

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=10313
Old 08-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
I raced out an bought the 710 when it was first released, but i had problems with the thrust bearing in the centax an gave up in frustration... I think most of my problems were more user issues then anything else , but it still looks like you need to mod the clutch to get better performance from it?
BB, perhaps you've already changed your nick or re-registered but if you had posted for help on Clutch clutch issues etc, we would have gladly given a hand.

Anyways, if you follow mytsn article by Glenn Cauley, using the optional yellow clutch shoe (802509), you do not need to cut up and modify the flyweights.

If you insist on using the black clutch shoes (802508), then cutting the flyweights would make the clutch perform better.

Some of us go to a higher extent of cutting the flyweights and using the optional yellow shoe. That would give the best performance when the grip is high.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jag
The parts I'm not completely sure about are the weight and the fit. I thought someone said to lighten the flyweights by drilling holes in them but I don't know why. I also don't know if they should just lay in there or if they should be snug.
The reason why mounting the flyweights in between the post gives better performance is because it somehow makes the flyweights "heavier" mounted in this position and the axial force throws the flyweights axially towards the clutchshoe / clutchbell at a greater force.

I've tried making the flyweights heavier by using 2 pieces of M3 x 4 grub / set screws on each flyweight and mounted the flyweights in between the flywheel pins. Yellow shoes and the harder Centax II spring is used. But like what Pyramid experienced, it gives very good performance initially but the clutch somehow gets stuck intermittently going out of the corners after a while. Probably after it gets heated up.

So now I just cut the flyweights and mount them in between the flywheel pins.

What I do lighten is by drilling and making several dimple holes BEHIND the clutchshoe with a bodyshell reamer in order to make the clutchshoe lighter. I saw this being done by Rick V but that was on a 950R.

He explains that a lighter clutchshoe accelerates faster towards the clutchbell due to the axial force from the flyweights. This results in a more responsive clutch.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InitialD
BB, perhaps you've already changed your nick or re-registered but if you had posted for help on Clutch clutch issues etc, we would have gladly given a hand.

Anyways, if you follow mytsn article by Glenn Cauley, using the optional yellow clutch shoe (802509), you do not need to cut up and modify the flyweights.

If you insist on using the black clutch shoes (802508), then cutting the flyweights would make the clutch perform better.

Some of us go to a higher extent of cutting the flyweights and using the optional yellow shoe. That would give the best performance when the grip is high.

InitialD: You are correct in the fact that i changed my username... you were always good in your assistence, but i was just foolish in the end. I have reread through the posts an it appears as though i blew two thrust bearings the second on while trying to run in a new engine an broke a front dog bone at the same time... that was the final straw an the rest is histroy

Oh... FYI i traded as S710_nut... if Sparksy hadn't fled south to Victoria from sunny Qld... hehehehehe

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.