Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by lawndoggie
A quick question though... I my is sliding a bit at the rear... If I don't not want to change tire shore (40/40) and do not want to change spring (Red front/yellow rear) is there anything I can do to make the rear bit onto the track a bit better?
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With all the above solutions, you can lay the rear shock DOWN more (1st lowerest hole vs the 4th holes).....then do the above setting (4 holes damper, lighter oil, no sway bar, more toe-in).....then loosen the rear diff a little too.

If you still don't have enough traction at rear.........I think you need to upgrade to 710, then ask Julius to set your car, LOL.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by lawndoggie
if I contine improving with this pace, maybe I'll get the 710 in 3 months
Hey, where is the 710 that I send you recently?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by InitialD
Hey, where is the 710 that I send you recently?
Hey! I sent you back already, with the Novamax and 50607 pipe.... where is my MONEY??
BTW, I did a little mod on the novamax, with titanium carb, all silver plated screws, special carved out "hallow" crank shaft, and of course my special signiature on the heat sink....
Old 12-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Julius
I made a mistake.....
Don't worry, everybody is allowed to make mistakes !

The arm needs to be at 90 degrees to the servo not the link. That is the optimum setting to get left/right as close as possible. I'll go back and edit my previous posts.
Ummm, this is not what I found out. When you set the linkage shorter (I use 39.5 mm in the linkage length instead of 44.5 mm), the servo horn on the steering linkage needs to lean forward instead of being 90 degree centered to the servo casing to get the wheels centered left and right. Hence the servo horn cannot be 90 degrees to the servo casing. It needs to be at 90 degrees with the linkage arm.

Taking Pyramid's and Goldfinger's advise, I added about 0.5 mm shim between the servo horn and linkage connection to clear the servo horn from rubbing the ball cup when the servo is at the end of the travel towards the rear (right turn). The linkage movement clears the front belt barely.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-steering_linkage_neutral.jpg  
Old 12-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Tech Prophet

You'll need to cut the balls and rod a little.
We'll look into this issue and see if we can improve it for future kits. Please provide info on any mod you made.
This is what I did. The stock rod linkage is 23 mm from tip to tip. I cut to 17 mm.

I also trimmed the length of the ball cups. The picture attached shows clearly.

This gives the total length of the ball cup and rod linkage assembly as 39.5 mm instead of 44.5 mm.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-ballcups_linkage_mod.jpg  
Old 12-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Steering Linkage Pic 1

Here's a top view of how it looks like when the steering is turned full lock to the right.

Julius, on the Hudy gauge, how many degrees do you set for left and right? My steering reaches about 26 degrees left and right from neutral. I think this is the maximum travel the steering will go. At least for the right turn.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-steering_linkage_right_1.jpg  
Old 12-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Steering Linkage Pic 2

Another pic showing a different angle.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-steering_linkage_right_2.jpg  
Old 12-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Steering Linkage Pic 2

D, that servo horn did not looked as if it needed to turn much before hitting full lock. Is that right? Does the car feel sensitive when you drive it?
Old 12-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Steering Linkage Pic 2

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
D, that servo horn did not looked as if it needed to turn much before hitting full lock. Is that right? Does the car feel sensitive when you drive it?
I have not driven the car yet ! So I don't know if the car will feel sensitive when you drive it. Well, at least I know that I could set the steering throw as maximum as possible without binding. That was the aim. If it was sensitive (which I think it will be), I'll just release and turn down the dual rate on the Tx.

The servo horn did not look as if it had to turn much at full lock because the servo horn was already in the forward position (about 90 degree to the linkage and not 90 degree to the servo casing) when the left and right steering is dead in the center at neutral position.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Steering Linkage Pic 1

Here's a top view of how it looks like when the steering is turned full lock to the right.

Julius, on the Hudy gauge, how many degrees do you set for left and right? My steering reaches about 26 degrees left and right from neutral. I think this is the maximum travel the steering will go. At least for the right turn.
That looks abbout right. You'll have ample throw like that.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Ummm, this is not what I found out. When you set the linkage shorter (I use 39.5 mm in the linkage length instead of 44.5 mm), the servo horn on the steering linkage needs to lean forward instead of being 90 degree centered to the servo casing to get the wheels centered left and right. Hence the servo horn cannot be 90 degrees to the servo casing. It needs to be at 90 degrees with the linkage arm.
Well it could be that with divverent servos you'll end up anywhere between 90 degrees to the servo upto 90 degrees to the link. It's a trial and error thing. It is difficult to get things right as there are so many variations in servo design....

As long as the epa settings are close it's ok.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Steering Linkage Pic 2

Looks like you missed a spot on the radiotray with the CA-glue on the edges!!! (near the M4 screw at the right front bulkhead!)
Old 12-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Why is your point the 2nd spur gear? Do you mean the 1st speed gear, because it touched the drs arm?

Why use the steel balls? Did you rip out a thread?
OOpps... sorry, thanks for the corrections.
Fastharry, it was 1st spur gear that was touches by the arm.

With aluminium(stock) balls, especially if the rear camber is set 4 deg. a hard impact from back side of the wheel will rip out arm thread.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Steering Linkage Pic 2

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Spend most of your time to get this linkage right.
You will need all the travel(EPA).

Next week I will try softer FR tire like Julius said. This is my 1st time ever, to test a car using softer front tires.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Julius, there is one thing I forget to ask you:
Pls check Initial D picture about steering linkage in normal position.

When I mount the steering rod face up(balls on the top), as the car lean harder it increases the toe in for the outside wheel. At least it will help servo holds this tire in setup position. Which is good for high speed cornering. For low speed cornering the present ackerman angle is big enough to do it smoothly.

If I build it face down (just like manual) the toe change (bump steer) is only happen when you brake hard but not changing the toe setup as the car leans out when cornering.

All above is only my theory and i mount it on top eventually, only because im feeling better..

Question is: Which is better for tight and small track?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.