Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by GoldFinger
ops.. could be too much rear wheel spinning.
Pyramid cars also suffering that on his main.
22minutes runs fine and after that making noisy sound but somehow he could drive the engine to the finish line with almost 150 deg.C engine.
Mine was close to 170ºC and i blew close to 5 plugs throughout the whole event... Would a broken fuel tank effect the engine much?...I found a crack in my fuel tank that was probably effecting the tune on the engine...
Old 01-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by crashed_1
Mine was close to 170ºC and i blew close to 5 plugs throughout the whole event... Would a broken fuel tank effect the engine much?...I found a crack in my fuel tank that was probably effecting the tune on the engine...
But after you changed the tank, you still had problems...
Old 01-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by crashed_1
Wow !! thats one of the kind... 5 plugs?
I dont know what to say ...
Did you have a chance to exam 1 of it ?
Anything wierd? pushed coil, pulled coil or just like a new one?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Did you have a chance to exam 1 of it ?
Anything wierd? pushed coil, pulled coil or just like a new one?
I thought the plugs looked normal... Just that every time the engine overheats, the plug goes dead. That's what I notice.

I only had one serious engine problem. On the first day when we arrived, my RRL5 piston and button head was sand blasted because the no. 7tf plug broke and messed up the internals... Luckily it was not a brand new piston sleeve that I intended to run. I actually considered to break in a new piston sleeve for it before coming to Thailand but no time.

So that's why on the evening of the second day of practice you saw me breaking in my new piston sleeve set. On race day when I wanted to race tune it, Michael helped me to get the engine up to speed...
Old 01-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
On race day when I wanted to race tune it, Michael helped me to get the engine up to speed...
Did you have any good tuning tips you learnt from the Messiha?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by markp27
I thing, we already know long time ago that clutch setup is important.
But watching Mr Massimo tune carefully the clutch that is just emphasizing (is this correct word?).. IT'S ALL ABOUT CLUTCH.
We believe the MAX that Massimo and Fabio using is nothing special since in the A main, our team driver (Mr. Kris Heriana) could keep up between them almost 6-7 laps.
There is no speed / power difference either on the straight line or in-field.
Massimo is like to set the engine a bit rich on the bottom end.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Tech Prophet

To tell you the truth, all of them including the Italian guys use the same method ! They put one palm of their hand on the headsink heat to gauge the heat when just starting. Seemingly I think that's like a feel thing to gauge the heat build up before they start to rev the engine and mess with the needle. And like all pro tuners, they listen to the engine purring. No temp gauges needed.

But seriously, the engine ran smooth during warm up. No engine cut off. And that's right after break in. Only the stupid receiver pack spoilt the day for me (another long story). So DNS for me (or rather I recorded only 1 lap) on the second and most crucial heat.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

I thing, we already know long time ago that clutch setup is important.
But watching Mr Massimo tune carefully the clutch that is just emphasizing (is this correct word?).. IT'S ALL ABOUT CLUTCH.
We believe the MAX that Massimo and Fabio using is nothing special since in the A main, our team driver (Mr. Kris Heriana) could keep up between them almost 6-7 laps.
Did you learn from them the way to setup the clutch correctly?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

To tell you the truth, all of them including the Italian guys use the same method ! They put one palm of their hand on the headsink heat to gauge the heat when just starting. Seemingly I think that's like a feel thing to gauge the heat build up before they start to rev the engine and mess with the needle. And like all pro tuners, they listen to the engine purring. No temp gauges needed.
Would you be able to repeat this now or is it really a feeling thing?

But seriously, the engine ran smooth during warm up. No engine cut off. And that's right after break in. Only the stupid receiver pack spoilt the day for me (another long story). So DNS for me (or rather I recorded only 1 lap) on the second and most crucial heat.
There's always next year when you can also kick a couple of old guys' arses
Old 01-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Tech Prophet

The same method Rick and Michael uses too on their 950R...

During practice when the first arrived, Massimo's engine was ballastic. Fabio's was so so. But you're right that during the A main Massimo's engine was not much different than the rest. But I thought I noticed that Fabio was pulling slightly away from Massimo on the straights in the first few minutes...

True. They all set it that way. When the engine is cold, it's so difficult to start. The engine will be difficult to idle and will sound blubbery after a 5 to 10 seconds ilding. I think that's why they put one of their hands on the heatsink to gauge if there is enough heat before they start revving and tuning the engine.

But the magic thing is when the engine and car comes in after a few laps... That's where you see the engine purring perfectly without skipping a beat.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Would you be able to repeat this now or is it really a feeling thing?
It's a feeling thing I guess and more tuning with the ears...

There's always next year when you can also kick a couple of old guys' arses
Old 01-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

The same method Rick and Michael uses too on their 950R...

During practice when the first arrived, Massimo's engine was ballastic. Fabio's was so so. But you're right that during the A main Massimo's engine was not much different than the rest. But I thought I noticed that Fabio was pulling slightly away from Massimo on the straights in the first few minutes...

True. They all set it that way. When the engine is cold, it's so difficult to start. The engine will be difficult to idle and will sound blubbery after a 5 to 10 seconds ilding. I think that's why they put one of their hands on the heatsink to gauge if there is enough heat before they start revving and tuning the engine.

But the magic thing is when the engine and car comes in after a few laps... That's where you see the engine purring perfectly without skipping a beat.
When it is rich at the bottom, the engine will have a tendency to rev quite high after comig off the throttle at the end of a long flat out stage? This is what I always notice anyway - was it the same for those guys?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Did you learn from them the way to setup the clutch correctly?
From what I observe, it is also by feel. They hold down the car with all 4 wheels on the ground with both hands and rev the throttle with the thumb / finger on the other hand.

They will feel how hard the clutch engages when they give throttle. It should not be so sudden or too quick. Just enough RPM before the clutch engages. By this method, they know if the clutch is slipping upon engagement.

If the clutch is too soft, they will stop the engine and proceed to tighten the clutch and do the same thing all over again...

Well, when you arrive in Florida, check with Rene or Michael and ask them to do it for you. They do it pretty effortlessly.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

From what I observe, it is also by feel. They hold down the car with all 4 wheels on the ground with both hands and rev the throttle with the thumb / finger on the other hand.

They will feel how hard the clutch engages when they give throttle. It should not be so sudden or too quick. Just enough RPM before the clutch engages. By this method, they know if the clutch is slipping upon engagement.

If the clutch is too soft, they will stop the engine and proceed to tighten the clutch and do the same thing all over again...

Well, when you arrive in Florida, check with Rene or Michael and ask them to do it for you. They do it pretty effortlessly.

Did you see Rene there? He's not been around for a while - maybe he's on holiday.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Tech Prophet

When it is rich at the bottom, the engine will have a tendency to rev quite high after comig off the throttle at the end of a long flat out stage? This is what I always notice anyway - was it the same for those guys?
Not really. The LSN should not be too rich though. Just slightly rich. That only happens when the slide carb idle open at neutral position is set too big giving you a false high end lean condition after a high speed run.

That's a mistake most people make. When they richen the LSN and when the idle drops, they turn up the idle screw to open big to keep the engine running !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.