Wiki Posts
Search

MTX 5

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by andy733
hi bishop,
can i suggest that you try to use only two bevel gears in the front diff instead of the four and keep the 200,000wt oil. i have used this in my 733 and found the diff work well with this set-up,to be ignorant it seems a shame that for such a car to be so highly waited on it seems that thru reading these forums it seems to be a lot of hard work to sort out.
I realy don´t understand some topics and ideas in this thread. All cars come with a basic setup, and that setup is intended for a specific track someware in the world (probably the track that R.Pietsch tested the car most). If you are going to a different track, you will need to setup the car for that layout, surface etc, etc. That´s RC basics. That´s why the car comes with multiple setup possibilities.

Then, the car was highly waited? Yes. And the first two big results are european champion with Robert and Japonese Champion with K.Fukuda.

Please tell me what car did you test for the first time in your local track, with basic setup, that was just perfect. I will buy 10 of those.

I haven´t recived my 5 here in europe yet, but when i do i shurely know that:

- basic setup is just a setup, and i´m 99% sure that it won´t fit the tracks that i run.
- roberts setup is just the setup for that specific track were he was crowned european champ. It will not be perfect for my track or my driving stile.
- I will have to develop my own setup, not doing just what the others do in their tracks. It will be my setup based on what the car tells me it needs running on that specific track.

Best regards.

Luís Cortez
Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luís Cortez

Please tell me what car did you test for the first time in your local track, with basic setup, that was just perfect. I will buy 10 of those.

Luís Cortez
Looks like your buying a Kyosho RB5 FS2, well 10 of them. The first setup I had on the car works best at PRCR, I have tried other things but go back to the base setup
Old 10-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I realy don´t understand some topics and ideas in this thread. All cars come with a basic setup, and that setup is intended for a specific track someware in the world (probably the track that R.Pietsch tested the car most). If you are going to a different track, you will need to setup the car for that layout, surface etc, etc. That´s RC basics. That´s why the car comes with multiple setup possibilities.

Then, the car was highly waited? Yes. And the first two big results are european champion with Robert and Japonese Champion with K.Fukuda.

- basic setup is just a setup, and i´m 99% sure that it won´t fit the tracks that i run.
- roberts setup is just the setup for that specific track were he was crowned european champ. It will not be perfect for my track or my driving stile.
- I will have to develop my own setup, not doing just what the others do in their tracks. It will be my setup based on what the car tells me it needs running on that specific track.

Best regards.

Luís Cortez
Yep, while it would have been nice to work out of the box, I never expected it to, and while the lack of turn in seems to have effected a few people, it's still not an indicator of how good or bad the kit is, just that it was obviously setup for some track unlike what some are running it on now.

And one thing I should mention, mine 'is' getting faster, it's faster than the 4, and even though I'm working out setups (and in effect thinking out loud in this thread about it), I went a little over a half second quicker yesterday than my last outing, on what was a very greasy track (we had a major storm in the morning here), the race line was very narrow yesterday, and not crash hot anywhere off it.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Best regards.

Luís Cortez
totally agree Luis. Most people seem to think that a basic setup means "it works everywhere". Also what i noticed sometimes in RC is you have idiots who are quick to talk to people condecendingly when they don't try the basic setup .As if it's some sort of neccessary requirement to use it at least once.

I feel sometimes people in RC don't think outside the square with setups and blindly do what the quick guys do thinking it will work for them. I have a mate of mine who has told me " i don't fool around with setup anymore i do what the quick guys do"

sometimes this works, but most times it doesn't because people don't think about setup and WHY a certain setup will affect the car.

Also i see a lot of people not trying all setup options, just the basics like springs and oil and toe and camber...there are a mountain of extra setups options that can fix problems.

Bishop, you say the car handles ok and it is quick, yet you have some small problems on exit on throttle. Mate, don't go soft! a soft setup on a fast bumpy track like Brendal will just feel atrocious! go with a dark blue or higher spring setup, also like Dan said go with a narrow track width left to right. go 198 rear 195 front (or as narrow as you can front and rear).

on the S section after the front straight make sure you always stay on throttle and never back off totally otherwise witht he bumps in that section the car will spin out there. Stay on throttle and never back off totally, do this all the way until the back straight.

If i was you i would go dark blue springs front and rear, with standard oil, two holes. Try anti squat on the rear with stiffer rear bar and thinner front bar

the anti squat on the rear will keep the car planted on throttle on exit. (anti squat is the rear arm angled towards the back ie; the lowest pin position on the rear and middle or highest position ont he engine side. This keeps the weight on the rear arms).

You might find you can raise the rear shocks with anti squat.

Also go long rear links with no washers or 1mm washers only on the outside. Longer camber links give more grip and the reduced washers means less camber change.

also try raising the front arms after all of this and see what it does.

Also remember casotr affects exit reaction of the car.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomB
totally agree Luis. Most people seem to think that a basic setup means "it works everywhere". Also what i noticed sometimes in RC is you have idiots who are quick to talk to people condecendingly when they don't try the basic setup .As if it's some sort of neccessary requirement to use it at least once.

I feel sometimes people in RC don't think outside the square with setups and blindly do what the quick guys do thinking it will work for them. I have a mate of mine who has told me " i don't fool around with setup anymore i do what the quick guys do"

sometimes this works, but most times it doesn't because people don't think about setup and WHY a certain setup will affect the car.

Also i see a lot of people not trying all setup options, just the basics like springs and oil and toe and camber...there are a mountain of extra setups options that can fix problems.

Bishop, you say the car handles ok and it is quick, yet you have some small problems on exit on throttle. Mate, don't go soft! a soft setup on a fast bumpy track like Brendal will just feel atrocious! go with a dark blue or higher spring setup, also like Dan said go with a narrow track width left to right. go 198 rear 195 front (or as narrow as you can front and rear).

on the S section after the front straight make sure you always stay on throttle and never back off totally otherwise witht he bumps in that section the car will spin out there. Stay on throttle and never back off totally, do this all the way until the back straight.

If i was you i would go dark blue springs front and rear, with standard oil, two holes. Try anti squat on the rear with stiffer rear bar and thinner front bar

the anti squat on the rear will keep the car planted on throttle on exit. (anti squat is the rear arm angled towards the back ie; the lowest pin position on the rear and middle or highest position ont he engine side. This keeps the weight on the rear arms).

You might find you can raise the rear shocks with anti squat.

Also go long rear links with no washers or 1mm washers only on the outside. Longer camber links give more grip and the reduced washers means less camber change.

also try raising the front arms after all of this and see what it does.

Also remember casotr affects exit reaction of the car.
Interesting to see how different people gets around problems, with so many different ways. Why doesn't anyone suggest a simple adjustment for more front droop? More front droop transfers more of the load to the rear during acceleration out of corners.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
Interesting to see how different people gets around problems, with so many different ways. Why doesn't anyone suggest a simple adjustment for more front droop? More front droop transfers more of the load to the rear during acceleration out of corners.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
yeah i just assumed Bishop gave that a go from the word go
Old 10-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The droop helped some things, but seemed to slow the general response from the car, so maybe I gave it a little too much. With wanting even more turn it's possible I should have tried less droop in the rear, though I know that will loose rear traction into a corner, though I don't think I have had an issue with that yet.

I think everyone needs to remember this is an ideas thread for the MTX5, we think out loud, pass on ideas and things that work, try what we can and report back, in the long run I assume that helps everyone who will buy a MTX5.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Kindest regards,
Lars.
The problem with adjusting droop to address rear grip off the corner is that if you add droop it makes the car roll more at entry, middle and exit. So the car will likely feel lazy and imo people try to use droop as a tuning tool to much when they should be working with toe, spring, bars, tires, camber, shock oils etc. Unless you have a really rough track, or exceptionally smooth track droop usually doesn't get changed much unless you make a big ride height change or surface change (less common in nitro sedan) or rain... On the contrary if you lighten the front diff oils to say 150k and soften the rear bar (from stock) you get a car that will point better than before, and be better at corner exit and overall should be responsive but still better mechanical grip, maybe with a touch less off the corner on power steering which can be addressed with rear toe.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Best regards.

Luís Cortez
Luis the good thing is that the idea's shared by the guys on this forum wont affect you, I read everyones comments and idea's and sometimes I think well I won't try that it doesnt sound right other times I think great I might try that, lots of guys enjoy sharing their idea's and get excited about offering comments because they love their racing and the comrade that goes with it,good on them. I imagine you would understand that not everyone that races RC has a perfect understanding of setup but hey they still have a lot of fun.

Les
Old 10-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Les
Luis the good thing is that the idea's shared by the guys on this forum wont affect you, I read everyones comments and idea's and sometimes I think well I won't try that it doesnt sound right other times I think great I might try that, lots of guys enjoy sharing their idea's and get excited about offering comments because they love their racing and the comrade that goes with it,good on them. I imagine you would understand that not everyone that races RC has a perfect understanding of setup but hey they still have a lot of fun.

Les
Hi.

I understand your point Les. But one thing is discussing how to get the car to turn in ... Other thing is telling that the car itself doesn´t have front grip, allmost as if it was a defect in the design! Come on... Robert Pietsch drove it in the European Championship, and won it. Fukuda won in his first experience with the car in the Japanese touring car championship.

It´s just a question of fine tunning. And that´s the part i love the most in RC!

Best regards

Luís
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi.

I understand your point Les. But one thing is discussing how to get the car to turn in ... Other thing is telling that the car itself doesn´t have front grip, allmost as if it was a defect in the design! Come on... Robert Pietsch drove it in the European Championship, and won it. Fukuda won in his first experience with the car in the Japanese touring car championship.

It´s just a question of fine tunning. And that´s the part i love the most in RC!

Best regards

Luís
Yep I understand your point Lois, I to love my RC racing its so good to have a hobby to enjoy.

Best Regards

Les
Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

There are locking inserts available for X-ray diffs which would turn an MTX5 diff into a spool. But do you really think that a spool is the right way to go if the reports of lack of steering are right?

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Well I just test the car last friday and I don't experience understeering! the only change that I made is the ride height 1mm less than the setup sheet and 1.5 of toe out un front the rest is the original setting and the car have an excellent steering, of course my local track is medium traction. The brake issue is true at the first I have no brakes but i keep running and the brake just get better with each heat!!!
in over all the car is outstanding over all!!! now I can sell my KM HK-1!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Best regards.

Luís Cortez
that's 110% correct Luis!!! the Original set up work for me except for toe out and ride height but we(mugen driver's) need to work for the best set up that work with the track and driving style!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can you tell us something about the differences between your old HK-1 car and your new Mugen?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Serpent Impulse Pro. It was perfect at the local parking lot track. The more I messed with it, the slower it got.

Of course, I then took it to a permanent track and it was ok but slow. The more I messed with it there, the faster it got.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.