R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #196
Tech Adept
 
JRGTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 215
Send a message via MSN to JRGTR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickentrader View Post
It would perhaps also be good if the front belt and diff was a little easier to get to; to speed up replacements of broken belts in my view.
the belt maintenance is a little difficult, maybe the new car will be more acesible in the rear and front belt point of view!
__________________
MTX5/Novarossi engines!
Byron's Racing Fuels/Airtronics
Matrix tires
www.pitlanehobby.com
JRGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #197
Tech Adept
 
Ballistik Mods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGTR View Post
the belt maintenance is a little difficult, maybe the new car will be more acesible in the rear and front belt point of view!
Hey maybe its just me ,i race every weekend and i dont seem to go through many belts.
I use urethane front and rear and rubber on the side and replace the pulleys after every 2-3 race days and the belts maybe every 6 race days
Ballistik Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #198
Tech Elite
 
SOLOARTIST 702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: WORLD WIDE
Posts: 3,393
Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702
Default

I to was stripping 2nd gear only to find out my clutchbell waswas warped so actually never had an issue its a mugen the only issue is me the car is outstanding
__________________
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #199
Tech Adept
 
Ballistik Mods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702 View Post
I to was stripping 2nd gear only to find out my clutchbell waswas warped so actually never had an issue its a mugen the only issue is me the car is outstanding
There is a conversion for the 2speed if anyone has probs wiyh stripping 2nd.replace the 2mm grub screw and ball wiyh a 4mm and no ball and it works great.
Ballistik Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #200
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I brought up the second gear stripping issue because I have experienced it myself. When I had the MTX3 with the 1.0 pitch gears, not a problem. When I switched to the 0.8 pitched gears, started to have the stripping problem. It has been an issue with my MTX4 as well. One of the issues is that the bearings in the two-speed housing are not top quality and will seize up over time. Change those to Avid, Boca, or ceramic bearing and that will fix that issue. But when the mesh is perfect and the bearing are not the issue, why is it still stripping? It is because there is still some flex in the chassis that is coming from the side-belt side of the car. You even have some with the 4mm chassis. Talking with some other Mugen drivers, stiffen that side and the flex causing the stripping stops. YBslow make a fix for it but good luck getting it (website always show out of stock).

I will be getting the new car regardless but would like to see Mugen address that issue.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #201
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistik Mods View Post
There is a conversion for the 2speed if anyone has probs wiyh stripping 2nd.replace the 2mm grub screw and ball wiyh a 4mm and no ball and it works great.
This conversion does not eliminate stripping gear problem.

The stripping gear problems in mtx4 might occur due to several problems : clutch bell is touching the 2speed gear housing, 2speed gear housing is touching the bar stiffener at engine bay, some flexes at rear bulkheads, poor bearings maintenance ( the steel shaft become very hot due to friction of one way bearing, and shaft bearings. Probably the heat deform the plastic spur gear ). There are number of solutions offered in mtx4 thread forum and nitrokb

Back to topic, this conversion only simplify the design of 2 speed shoes, thus you eliminate 3mm balls completely. Here are the real benefits from using grub screws instead of balls : the 2 speed shoes will not ever jammed and they will last long time. Once a year I tuned the grub screw position.

Actually you need 9mm long grub screw ( grind it from 10mm grub screw ). 4mm is too short.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #202
Tech Elite
 
Chickentrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Landsborough, Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 2,142
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistik Mods View Post
Hey maybe its just me ,i race every weekend and i dont seem to go through many belts.
I use urethane front and rear and rubber on the side and replace the pulleys after every 2-3 race days and the belts maybe every 6 race days
I agree that belts lasts a long time usually; particularly front and rear belts. However; even brand new belts break if the belt for example picks up a minuscule peace of broken glass, or a pebble. I have seen this happen many times, and the problem is not isolated to Mugen; only last week I witnessed a car (Kyosho this time) loose a new front belt in the first heat in a big event.

I have also been in a race meeting (in my club) where four gas cars, came back without front or rear belts in the first couple of heats after an attack by vandals, where we had to pick up broken glass everywhere on the track before racing could start. The guy that had a TM G4 replaced his front belt in no time, while it took twice as long with an MTX4.

I was simply trying to point out that the job of replacing a belt during a race meeting, could perhaps be made a little more user-friendly in a new design.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
__________________
Support your local RC stores - they support our sport!
Social media The empowerment of the small individual to enforce democratic process at the expense of dishonesty.
Chickentrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #203
Tech Adept
 
Ballistik Mods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
This conversion does not eliminate stripping gear problem.

The stripping gear problems in mtx4 might occur due to several problems : clutch bell is touching the 2speed gear housing, 2speed gear housing is touching the bar stiffener at engine bay, some flexes at rear bulkheads, poor bearings maintenance ( the steel shaft become very hot due to friction of one way bearing, and shaft bearings. Probably the heat deform the plastic spur gear ). There are number of solutions offered in mtx4 thread forum and nitrokb

Back to topic, this conversion only simplify the design of 2 speed shoes, thus you eliminate 3mm balls completely. Here are the real benefits from using grub screws instead of balls : the 2 speed shoes will not ever jammed and they will last long time. Once a year I tuned the grub screw position.

Actually you need 9mm long grub screw ( grind it from 10mm grub screw ). 4mm is too short.
The 4mm grub screw i mentioned is 4mm wide not 4mm in length.
the conversion dose work the last time i stripped a 2nd gear was due to me ridding over a ripple strip.this conversion was handed down by a factory mugen driver .
I do agree with some of the points you have listed above but that falls into the regular servicing area
Ballistik Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #204
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

okie dokie
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #205
Tech Adept
 
Ballistik Mods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default valid points

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
okie dokie
Sorry dude you had alot of valid points.but that mod did solve my dramas.
Ballistik Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #206
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

When is Mugen going to release the CAD pics to give us a sneak peak???
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #207
Tech Regular
 
getpip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 369
Default

...
__________________
------------------------
Check out my blog: www.pipskiracing.blogspot.com
------------------------
getpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #208
Tech Elite
 
Riketsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,514
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
When is Mugen going to release the CAD pics to give us a sneak peak???
Mugen is very secretly when it comes to that. No one has even the slightest clue that a new car/CAD coming out until it reaches Forums/RedRC by their own hand.

You will never see a "spy" glimpse of the car or stolen CAD images nor anything like that.

Its not like other cars in which, I had already seen CAD images 5-6 months before their official release (of the CAD models).
__________________
eBay user id: riketsukirai
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #209
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
Mugen is very secretly when it comes to that. No one has even the slightest clue that a new car/CAD coming out until it reaches Forums/RedRC by their own hand.

You will never see a "spy" glimpse of the car or stolen CAD images nor anything like that.

Its not like other cars in which, I had already seen CAD images 5-6 months before their official release (of the CAD models).
Well, when they came out with the MTX-4, the CAD pics where out at least a couple of months before the actual car hit the market. Just curious if they will give us a sneak peak. Not getting a peak will not sway my decision to purchase one; making room in my r/c garage for it right now!! I am curious to what the street price will be to us Mugen purchasers. Hopefully, they will keep it reasonable.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #210
Tech Elite
 
Riketsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,514
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Well, when they came out with the MTX-4, the CAD pics where out at least a couple of months before the actual car hit the market. Just curious if they will give us a sneak peak. Not getting a peak will not sway my decision to purchase one; making room in my r/c garage for it right now!! I am curious to what the street price will be to us Mugen purchasers. Hopefully, they will keep it reasonable.
I am not saying they wont release some CAD images before releasing the car, since they always do with all their cars.

I am just saying that when the new Mugen cars are released (CAD images), it takes the whole R/C community by surprise since there suppress all "speculation" by denying a new car.

Its not like other brands whereas I had already confirmation that a new car was in the works and that I had already seen CAD images 5-6 months before they officially released the CAD images to the public.
__________________
eBay user id: riketsukirai
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mugen MTX-3 university_dave Nitro On-Road 17237 12-30-2012 01:16 PM
Mugen MTX-4 Grasshopperr Nitro On-Road 9087 08-30-2011 07:15 PM
Singapore National Series, 2009 Round 2 bullygod Singapore R/C Racers 21 06-27-2009 07:00 AM
Inter-State Racing Competetion Mie3R Malaysian R/C Racers 510 08-12-2008 10:41 PM
INTI College 1/10 Gas Touring (Sarawak,Kuching) LAKIA Malaysian R/C Racers 41 10-18-2007 06:46 PM
TQ With Serpent 720 on 23 & 24 December 2006 in Miri weechor Malaysian R/C Racers 119 02-01-2007 07:04 AM
LRP Nitro Masters 2006 Malaysia HPC II Malaysian R/C Racers 435 06-28-2006 09:03 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:49 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net