Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Rc10ntc3

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by ntc3freak
what happened to ur tires?my car also doesn't seem to track straight.still waiting to get a setup system
My tyres on the exhaust side are knackered, excessive wear on inside edge on both front and rear where the tyres on the other side seem fine, they are showing signs of wear but nothing like the ones on the other side
Old 12-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

is it rubbing the exhaust?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

is it rubbing the exhaust?
hrm didnt think this was possible, but after reading this I checked, and it is most definetely not rubbing the exhaust
Old 12-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

hmmm.look back at ur car n see what is suspicious.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

wayne:

Do the rubber tires or foam tires have the problem? If the problem happens on rubber tires, it could be the inserts. For foam tires, perhaps your tires are too soft (track traction too high for the foam tire you chose). The tire problem may manifest on the exhaust side of the car due to more clockwise turn of the track.

Since your car does not track straight, the problem can be caused by the chassis setup, different tires used and the steering trim. Make sure on the left and right side, the droops are the same, the shock pistons, springs are the same, shock rebound degrees are close, the ride height are the same, same tires. Of course when the steering is at neutral, both front tires have the same toe in/out. Also, check the pivot balls whether they are bent.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

i really can't check the toe,droop or ride height.must get a setup set real soon i think it is the shocks.it is hard to rebuild.how do u rebuild bladder shocks?i am not using ae shocks at the moment.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by wayne
My tyres on the exhaust side are knackered, excessive wear on inside edge on both front and rear where the tyres on the other side seem fine, they are showing signs of wear but nothing like the ones on the other side
How much camber did you run? I'm trying to guess, your track should have more left handers than right handers? In that case, your right tires' camber are set just right, try setting your car with a slightly more camber for the left front and rear tires, as in less negative....the tires less tilted in. That's the more accurate way of setting up camber, it's all about tires contact patch. A more "negative" camber on the left side of the car will suit a track with more right handers, and vice versa. Gosh...I hope I made myself clear and not confuse anyone here...
Old 12-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

what happened to ur tires?my car also doesn't seem to track straight.still waiting to get a setup system
There are few factors contributing to the stated problem. Excessive tire wear on one side of the car due to camber set wrongly, front toe, droop, "unbalanced" shocks...
It's very hard to get your front toe set right with the gauge provided by AE, get a setup system will set things straight.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

hey tommi,nam lee got one ar ofr sell(new one)?i want the hudy system u see on my signature(that is my wish list )n how much he sells it for?i don't knoe his number
Old 12-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

hey tommi,nam lee got one ar ofr sell(new one)?i want the hudy system u see on my signature(that is my wish list )n how much he sells it for?i don't knoe his number
UGPM
Old 12-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

pm'ed back at ya
Old 12-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Is something wrong?

Originally posted by wayne
hello again, I took my ntc3 out today and used approximately 1/2 litre of fuel it was running great, almost didnt want to stop, but anyway when I got home I noticed something that disturbed me : the tyres on the exhaust side front and rear have been really really punished by comparison to the ones on the other side is there a chassis setting wrong or is this normal

I checked the camber (front and rear) and the toe (rear) it seems ok

also : the car just refused outright to track straight, I think the toe is messed up if this is the case there be no more till I get a toe guage and some tyres
<<sigh>>
If the car isnt tracking straight check the trim on the steering, perhaps its shifted from the previous setting if the car was tracking straight prior to this problem occuring.
Another factor that can cause the NTC3`s steering to have a mind of its own, is occasionally, the bolt that holds the swing rack to the swing rack arm works loose......if this is the case its easily fixed by tightening the bolt through the hole in the bottom of the chassis.
Also, do a quick check to make sure you havent lost any caster clips.
Cheers
Old 12-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

hey,i think it is the steering rack.one of the screw that tightened it seems stripped.btw,anyone have upgraded to ball bearings for the steering rack?
Old 12-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: is something wrong?

OK the butchered tyres were rubbers, (stock rtr + to be precise) and the toe on the rear was standard 2 degrees toe in and 2 degrees negative camber.

I tried on more than one occasion to get it to track straight setting the trim, this seemed to work temporarily...

on the front I am running 2 degrees negative camber and I *think* about 1 degree toe out, this said :

I checked the screw thru the chassis from underneath, (the one on the spring) and I tightened it, only a little bit, then discovered my drivetrain was binding and after a minute or two I put it together and realised the screw is touching/binding the front input shaft, so I loosened it back off so my drivetrain was "free" I then proceeded to check for the "missing" caster clips, and they are all in place and are secure, I then for some unknown reason tried to turn the front wheels with my hands (as in left to right ) and discovered that the whole deal looks to be loose on the swing rack mounting posts, with the whole deal moving sorta up and across pivoting on these posts, I am assuming that some slop here could be normal, so I am asking those who know more than I before I disassemble it, also if the person who answers this thinks disassembly is warranted any shortcuts would be appreciated
Old 12-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Wayne
If the steering rack has more than a couple of millimetres play in any direction it , pull it apart and check everything. A little slop is normal but it sounds like the locknuts top of the pivot posts may be loose.
Undo the bottom four diff housing screws, side braces, shocks, top arms and bumper brace and pull the whole front gearbox assy out you should be able to get to it.
As for the tyre issue, I would say the inserts in the tyres are too soft. Find out what tyres and inserts the local hotshots are using and buy a set before messing with the settings too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.