Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

an outlaw class would be interesting but I would be more
interested if they loosened up the restrictions on the engine
for the current sedan class.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 1st time racing

Hey all hows it going? I have had my NTC3 for about 2 months now, and I want to start to race. What do you all suggest that I get to start to race? I have integy setup up guages, ofna starter box, dynamite drivers, temp gun by retek (i think this is the spelling). I have a few other things. I have a OS cvr w/ Jr xr3 radio and Rx. I want to know if its better to use foams or rubbers, or is it just a matter of opinion?

any inputs would be greatly appc..

Thanks Jason By the way great forum!!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like your ready.
Get Foams, if you get to race on a prepared track, they'll last just as long, and the handling advantage they give is worth the $.

If your looking for a track, there's a bunch of racing going on in Fla.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I guess I don't understand why anyone would be against a "run what ya brung" class. I do think it would be out of some racers price ranges though. I'm all for an outlaw class, or at the very least opening things up in the sedan class we have now. They could start simple, give us at least 5 ports and turbo plugs.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

whats the lola body of choice?
Old 10-03-2002, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

I think that I would be for establishing the class we have now, not "tightening" but "stabilizing" the rule for it, keeping its expenses down to a reasonable level.

Then, establishing an outlaw class for those who want to spend $250 for motors, etc.

Same thing with enforcement. I'm tired of being beaten by guys who aren't driving as well, can't take a corner as well, can't set up their cars as well, but dang if they can't outspend me and have a car that is OUNCES lighter and has HORSES on me. . .

(not really so much with my Nitro car, but really in electric, and I'm starting to see the "spending gap" start with Nitro. . .and no, it's not "sour grapes" )
Old 10-03-2002, 08:39 AM
Tech Rookie

I love the idea of a open touring car class. I think there should be a class where anything goes. And forget the outlaw .12's, how about putting a 7 or 8 port Novarossi BB .15 on a touring car. It's as easy as swapping out the engine mounts. Just imagine, big block power, 35 mm foams in the rear, a lola body, front one way and solid rear axle, and you have a scaled down 1/8 scale on road racer. I think this class would be very popular since you could easily switch back and forth between legal touring car spec.'s and open touring car spec.'s. Well, at least I can dream. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Coastaltony, where do you race in the Palm Bay area. I live in Gainesville, and go to Vero Beach to visit my parents once a month. Vero Beach is very close to Palm Bay, and I have some friends in Vero who go to Melbourne to parking lot race with their 1/8 scales every now and then. Would you be interested in setting up a race some weekend? On another note, if you have a 1/8 scale offroad, there's a big race in a few weeks at Boggy Creek Race Track near St. Cloud. My father knows the owner and I can get you more information if you or anyone you know is interested. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

nitrogator
I live way down south in Lantana, Fl.
A little south of West Palm Beach
I believe there is a track in Palm Bay or somewhere close. Space Coast Hobbies seems to ring a bell.
Thanks for letting me know about the 1/8 scale race, but I am looking to sell my Ofna. Concentrate more on electric & nitro sedans
Old 10-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Tech Rookie

i guess im lucky... my local hobby town doesnt have any big rules.. theres nitro stock and nitro pro.... any body, any tires, any engine(in pro class) and they do a points based season and the winner each day of the mains gets some gift certificates to the store. again what is the perfered lola body for 1/10th? i wanna run one at my local track
Old 10-03-2002, 10:00 AM

Guess what? they already have an outlaw class, it's called 1/10 4wd 235. It has everything you want(bodies, engines, tires) and more AND it already got a good following. I actually think the class setup is very good right now. Each class is progressively faster and more expensive. Another option is running any 200 mm 'outlaws' with the 235s as they're very comparable as far as lap times.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

I had thought that the 235 was 2wd. Oops!

In that case, yeah, it's a good solution that already exists!
Old 10-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Is the wheel base on a 235mm 1/10 scale onroad longer than a 1/10 touring car? . If the 1/10 scale onroad cars are just wider, then why couldn't you put some extra wide foam tires on the NTC3 and run it in 235mm 4wd onroad. Seems like if this is the case, most people could easly make an outlaw touring car that would fit the spec.'s of the 235mm class. Why wouldn't Associated realize this and make a few option parts to convert the NTC3 into a 235mm 4wd? Relax the engine standards and let the oulaw .12's into the mix, and there's a class for racing those fine , high performance engines. These guys could run with the other 235mm platforms and another strong class is created at most club level tracks. It seems like all the parts are out there to do it except the tires and engine mounts. Seems like very little for associated not to do this. With some light fabriciating experience, anyone could make these parts, but for the class to take off, associated or another aftermarket company's should make these option parts. Just a thought.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:16 PM

That's what some people have done with their HPI Super Nitros. Somebody like Calandra or RCrage makes adapters to use 235 mm foam on the HPI Supers turning them into a 235 car basically. All you would need is a new chassis, axles(for 235 rubber), a-arms and CVDs. Maybe a new front tower. For me though it's either 200mm or 1/8 scale 4wd. For now I like the fact that you only need a $150 engine, and $12 tires to win; new engines come out all hyped up it turns out you can beat them with an MT12.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I will agree with Boomer, almost no one enforces ROAR's rules as it is, especially on a club level. I've only had one person ask to have my car tech'd all season, and I have yet to see a sedan outpower my JP. I unfortunately (I guess) fall into the stereotype Boomer was talking about. I am fortunate enough to be able to buy alot of "extras" for my NTC3. By keeping it at the minimum weight with a health dose of horse power, I can overcome some of what I lack in driving skill. I won't apologize for it, that's just the way things are. I do however do my best to conform to the rules ROAR has set for us. I follow weights, engine & body restrictions, ect.. In short, I don't cheat when I sometimes could. I don't however think money should be the determining factor. If the local guys get priced out what fun would it be? The class would never survive that. I say enforce the rules we have, establish the class (I see big things in the future for touring cars), THEN make up a new "unlimited" touring class, but also with enforced rules. That way guys who can, or want, to spend a little extra will have somewhere else to play in addition to the "limited" class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.