Engine Wars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Unbearable Bearings?

Originally posted by Corse-R
<SNIP>

I heard something about the high price of the Nova bearings. Two weeks ago I changed a main bearing to an engine, bought the Nova spare part and the bearing costed me the equivalent to 13US$ (15 Euros).
That was me complaining about the bearing costs, Corse-R.
The Australian situation is obviously a little different to yours. The main (rear) bearing here is approximately US$30.00 and a "normal" bearing with a 10mm or 12mm I.D. is about US$3.00.
If you think about, that bearing is roughly 10% of the cost of the entire engine.

Originally posted by Corse-R
I don't feel that is a high price for a new main bearing, Boca have some on their stock, but didn't got good results with them.

Regarding the 11.5mm crank, let me say that is a brand new custom bearing made by SKF to Nova. As many others do they ask for custom bearings as they need. When you have a GM you don't go to Chrysler for buying spare parts or yes?
This "custom bearing" utilises existing technology - relatively new technology, but existing technology. Suffice to say that if this bearing technology was developed solely for Novarossi, none of us would be able to afford these engines.
I suggest that there is nothing special about this bearing other than the inner race being ground to fit their crankshaft. Granted, the spec. of the bearing will be in accordance with the requirements of Novarossi and the engine, but these spec's could just as easily (more easily) be accommodated in a bearing using a standard internal diameter which is widely available and reasonably priced. Many other engine manufacturers happily use standard sized bearings.

Top Gun 777 mentions that their .21 engine uses an oddball I.D. for the main bearing and if I recall, so does their .15 engine. Coincedence?
Old 09-30-2003, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Top Gun 777,

Will your upcoming P/S/conrod sets be suitable for the new NS12 and V12 engines?

. . . . and will your new engines use standard sized bearings.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Top Gun 777,

Will your upcoming P/S/conrod sets be suitable for the new NS12 and V12 engines?

. . . . and will your new engines use standard sized bearings.
All common parts are standartizied and will be easy to find in any industrial supply store.
It will be two version of main bearing, first version will be common (12x21x5), second version I can't disclose now design, but it will be for seriouse racing and the price will be the same as regular bearing, may be even cheaper.
I don't do parts for Novarossi engines due to the Novarossi prohibited it.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
All common parts are standartizied and will be easy to find in any industrial supply store.
It will be two version of main bearing, first version will be common (12x21x5), second version I can't disclose now design, but it will be for seriouse racing and the price will be the same as regular bearing, may be even cheaper.
I don't do parts for Novarossi engines due to the Novarossi prohibited it.
Sounds good to me.

Maybe I should rephrase the last question:
I guess your upcoming P/S/conrod sets would need, say a locating notch modification, to fit the new NS12 and V12 engines?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Sounds good to me.

Maybe I should rephrase the last question:
I guess your upcoming P/S/conrod sets would need, say a locating notch modification, to fit the new NS12 and V12 engines?
No parts for Novarossi engines.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Top Gun, Motorman,

what's your honest opinion on Picco based .12's, leaving the carb out of the picture?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by stefan
Top Gun, Motorman,

what's your honest opinion on Picco based .12's, leaving the carb out of the picture?
Hi Stefan. How is going?
TO be honest I was working lattely only one one Picco, .15 size and expirienced one thing-it start realy more or less work after P/S set got loose a lot ( almost was no compression). But after about 1.5 gallons the conrod blew up on the bottom ( after blew up I found the pin for conrod had blue spot-means for me cooked, temperature was 240-250 F). From my previose expirience-it was pretty dependeble engine with long life, but without modding it was just averege performance. I think I will have some expreriments done next weekend on .21 size and will keep update with results.

Last edited by Top Gun 777; 10-01-2003 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Motorman or Topgun,

What are your thoughts on the new nova engine based on the specs(i guess we're going to have to wait for it to be available before we really know)?

Technical Data

RR12L3

2.1 c.c.
1.52 H.P.
14.25m/m
13.70m/m
3 port
11.5 mm

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 10-01-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Motorman or Topgun,

What are your thoughts on the new mugen engine based on the specs(i guess we're going to have to wait for it to be available before we really know)?

Technical Data

RR12L3

2.1 c.c.
1.52 H.P.
14.25m/m
13.70m/m
3 port
11.5 mm
Longer stroke by1/4 mm, I think it will be something as MR12 with better bottom end little bit (if we are talking stock version). I don't trust on technical data anyway (1.52 HP and 41.000 RPM).
But the real thing will be only seen after run it. For me all of them more or less the same (stock versions). Itwill be up to racer to adapt this engine to car and track.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also some new nova pipes !!!

I think it's time for a new engine/pipe combo upgrade.

http://www.mugenseiki.com/nova12mufp.htm
Old 10-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Top gun,clean out your PM inbox.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone seen or run a M. Collari modified Sirio .12? Unless it's my tuning, mine doesn't seem to be as powerful as it should be.

Is there a general rule for tuning hand mod engines differently from stock engines?
Old 10-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

they are calling it a long stroke but stroke has not changed neither has bore.

stroke has not changed in any way. go back and look at the bore and stroke of all the previous models it has not changed just rod lengths have. go look again all the way down to the side port motors! It will be a short rod motor. That engine is Mugens new NS 12 variant. They are getting an 21 R1WC variant also soon
Old 10-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by stefan
Top Gun, Motorman,

They suck! I ran a picco .12 for less than 1/2 gallon and the rod broke. The engine never saw temps above 260. It was not fast either.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Surge
Has anyone seen or run a M. Collari modified Sirio .12? Unless it's my tuning, mine doesn't seem to be as powerful as it should be.

Is there a general rule for tuning hand mod engines differently from stock engines?
I have seen a Collari Sirio and they are just a little better than a stock Sirio. They have a polished crankshaft (stock timing)and very mild sleeve work (aluminum 3 port sleeve). Very pricy too. The Murnan Sirio is faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.