Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

OFNA LD3 pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Nightmare, thanks...got to buy the lube for the one way. I did use nitro to clean it at the track, temp fix though, lasted a few laps, then went back to doing what it was doing.... I'll give it a shot.

havy
Old 02-18-2004, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

I believe small bit of ATF fluid also works, but yeah also clean the shoes/bell, just as important while cleaning one-way and easy cause u got it apart anyway..
Old 02-18-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

yeah, i might have some trouble taking the 2nd gear clutch apart. I bought an STS mt12rs for it since I was using the 3 shoe clutch, the I tried the power clutch and worked well until the adapter for it came loose, the whole thing pushed into the 2nd gear clutch bell and now the rim on the outside is bent in all the way around to the point that I can't remove it.
Going to have to get creative w/ that part.
I have a friend that put grooves on the 2nd gear clutches and the thing kicks when it goes into second. That's my next mod......once I get the oneway working

Is lubing the trans oneway a regular maintenace thing, how often should it be lubed?

havy
Old 02-18-2004, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by SteveG
Biggest advantage is that you can adjust the point of engagement ie: early in the powerband or later in the powerband. Also there is probably 20%-30% more contact area in terms of clutch shoe meets clutch bell and that helps to provide a more positive engagment as compared to a 2- or 3 shoe clutch system.

Once you use a Centax type clutch you'll never want to use anything else
Many thanks Seeing I am new to this onroad thing and have never raced before the 3 shoe clutch should probably be good enough for a year or so right? I have a brand new Sirio with threaded crankshaft, this motor won't allow me to use centax style clutch correct?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:44 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by au_Nightmare
Dremel? Everyone in this small scale hobby always seems to use small scale tools (the dremel) I always bust out a decent rough file or even the 4" angle grinder when there is a bit of meat that needs removing.. Much faster then the dremel.
I'm lazy....I prefer to use electric power rather than muscle power!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 06:46 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by havy
Is lubing the trans oneway a regular maintenace thing, how often should it be lubed?

havy
I put a drop of Serpent One way oil in when I build it new........then leave it! If it ain't broke don't touch it. I've never had problems with the 2 speed one way.....
Old 02-18-2004, 06:52 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by IDrinkNitro
Many thanks Seeing I am new to this onroad thing and have never raced before the 3 shoe clutch should probably be good enough for a year or so right? I have a brand new Sirio with threaded crankshaft, this motor won't allow me to use centax style clutch correct?
There is nothing really wrong with the 3 shoe. The centax gives you more adjustment....but to be honest...who adjusts their centax every week??? I know I don't!

In fact for a shaft car because the initial acceleration can be really strong...even with a centax running loose....it may even be better to run with a 3 shoe clutch. You will find you get less understeer coming out of a corner...especially if you are running a NR engine.

The handling of my LD3 is totally different when I put an OS TR engine in compared to a NR NS3 (both with centax) ...the NS3 has too much low end kick...I can run much better lines with the OS....only losing out on the straight.......
Old 02-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

My STS MT12rs is threaded shaft, there exists an adapter that will accomodate the power clutch. But be carefull, that is what cme loose one my car and ruined the 2nd gear clutch bell.

DTM, Nightmare,... thanks, lets see if I can keep my oneway working from now on, I hate to have a bad qualify due to this.

havy
Old 02-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, this forum has got to be the best around It sure is helpful to a newbie like myself
Old 02-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wish I could remember what I ended up doing when I had the same problem. The car would sound like it was slipping in and out of second gear, mainly when I was accelerating in a corner. When I changed the gears and checked the shoes, I haven't noticed it since. Go figure.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Thats where the 4" angle grinder comes in.. 650W Grinder Vs 125W dremmel, see I'm lazier !!

Originally posted by dtm
I'm lazy....I prefer to use electric power rather than muscle power!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Would I be classed as the laziest or most motivated in this group I have a vertical milling machine

I think thats what I'm going to work on tonight if the kids stay outa my hair long enough....steering servo mounts...might not be as pretty as Ofna's optional CNC'd aluminum jobbies but hey if they do the job all is good.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by SteveG
Would I be classed as the laziest or most motivated in this group I have a vertical milling machine

I think thats what I'm going to work on tonight if the kids stay outa my hair long enough....steering servo mounts...might not be as pretty as Ofna's optional CNC'd aluminum jobbies but hey if they do the job all is good.
OK you win the laziest competition!!!

It may be worth ordering the alloy mounts anyway because they are tapped at both ends to allow you to secure to upper deck and chassis.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:35 PM
sup
Tech Addict

i have made my decision not to go for the centax type clutch idrinknitro. it wouldnt last you a year though. the thing that wears the most are the springs, the part of the spring that has contact with the crank. you will notice this when the engine dies when you put the car on the ground and engage the trigger. happened to me after running-in the engine (about 3/4 gallon). just check the springs regularly and have spares with you all the time (springs and shoes). be sure to remove the glaze (shoes and bell) too every time you open up the clutch.. ill send you info on tuning the shoe type clutch, a fellow LD3 racer gave me some tips on fine tuning it!
Old 02-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Sup thank you very much. I will make sure I have extra springs and shoes in my pit box for sure. I look forward to receiving that information on tuning the clutch Many thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.