Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fastharry™
And I have a car that has a better F/R weight bias and has more steering....Not to mention more intitial steering into a corner....
............Well Good for you Harry!!! Not sure if your car has improved F/R weight bias. Set your car up to suit your driving style. We have different driving styles, I rather have the spool to get the punch out of the corners .

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 04-17-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
............Well Good for you Harry!!! Not sure if your car has improved F/R weight bias. Set your car up to suit your driving style. We have different driving styles, I rather have the spool to get the punch out of the corners .

I know that, I'm only funnin' with ya.....
Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

You a badddddd boy Harry!!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

You a badddddd boy Harry!!

And my car is pretty....Don't forget that!!...

You're going to the Challenges, right?..
Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

but my car is fast & furious !!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

but my car is fast & furious !!

It is that......
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Rookie

So Harry, I see your also running the Lightwieght 2 speed.. I have one of each. Is there much differance in performance gain?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trippcsi
So Harry, I see your also running the Lightwieght 2 speed.. I have one of each. Is there much differance in performance gain?

I noticed a big difference with the LW trans...

and, the ratio's are better....
Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys,

i am finally getting back into my R40, and got a whole new R40 thats been in its box for a while and dont remeber how to exactly tune the clutch... any help would be great..

thanks guys
Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Did you see the pic of my car on the scale?...that had a gear diff...

And it's pretty too....

You gotta work on that gear mesh fastharry!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thewood1987
You gotta work on that gear mesh fastharry!

I have it set that way for sonic dragging.....
Old 05-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

I have it set that way for sonic dragging.....
Thats cutting edge stuff right there! Its the same principle as the partially submerged propellers on offshore racing boats. Less friction = less drag. You should consider blurring these high tec areas of your photos as to keep all of us from catching on to your high speed super setup tricks.
Its too late now I have the blueprints to your setup and so does everyone else. Keep that in mind
Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hpimichael
hey guys,

i am finally getting back into my R40, and got a whole new R40 thats been in its box for a while and dont remeber how to exactly tune the clutch... any help would be great..

thanks guys
Here's what I cut out of this thread long ago and saved on my computer.

Enjoy.

I have found several things with the clutch.

1. You most likely need to put shims between the inside bearing and the sg nut to keep the bell from rubbing the shoe.

2.Clearance to the chassis cutout for the flywheel, on some of my engines I had to remove the big washer behind the collet other wise the outside of the bell will hit the chassis= slip
This can also happen if the motor is aligned too far to the gear side. I think this has been my problem all along, but in the process I learned the fine points of setting up a Centax.

3. The red clutch shoe as with most cars is better than the slip prone black stuff

If assembled right the clutch is supposed to be great; it's nearly identical to the Mugen's

I was starting to build the clutch last night....and I have to agree, the stock setting of the clutch (per manuel) is not even close to the GOOD setting of the centax..........

(1) I agree with OB42TC3's #1 idea....I ended up put a 0.1mm shim (from Serpent or NTC3 package) behind the SG nut and in front of the first bearing of the clutch housing in order to spin the house freely without rubbing the shoe.

(2) The 0.8mm shims behind the collet need to be increase to close to 1mm (I ended up adding 2 more 0.1mm from Serpent) in order for me to get to 0.3mm gap different....no matter how much or less shims I did in front of the threst bearing, it won't give me the clearence that I like....

Overall....that is the setting that I have on my RS 12 T5 S1 engine...does not necessary work for other engines, but the concept is like that.....at least 3 areas need to add or remove shims instead of only 1 (before the threst bearing like HPI said)

I still think the RED shoes is the one to use....the HPI one is almost like a solid black plasic block....

OB42TC3 already said it....it is the one from DELTA, you can see that on ebay, they are like $12 each. (keyword: Clutch shoe)...but I am sure the MUGEN one are as good...anything but the stock HPI black one....(if you have the chance to get a better shoe)...

the Mugen ones. They basically are made from the same material however, Rulon. The R40 one is absolutely ballistic it makes the car have incredible punch. You can email order them from Delta.

The Grey ones work nicely, but have less punch than the Red shoes, but to get it to slide on the pins properly you will need to ream the holes a bit. I posted a picture of this a few months ago.

If you are running your car at Brendale you should definately get the red ones, the cost me around AUD$15 from Delta. Most other local tracks will be fine with the grey shoes.

I posted this a while ago. Here is my latest clutch setup that has so much punch the car actually was jumping slightly on a low bite track:

Delta Red shoes
Kyosho Bronze colour spring - FW16
A heap of Mugen shims (or any other shims will work)

1. Assemble the clutch without the unner bearing. Pull the clutch housing away from the shoe. Measure the gap between the housing and the shoe. This is the clutch gap. You want it between 0.4-0.6mm in my setup.

2. Put the inner bearing back in place. Add shims between this bearing and the clutch nut until there is almost no float. 0.1mm or less.

3. Set the adjuster nut to 1.4mm.

This setup gives awesome clutch response, and also is far easier on the clutch bearings. I have posted previously that I had bearing failures, I have had no failures since I have been using this setup.

AMG, Thanks for the information, and that is exactly what I want to know...I was playing with SHIMS with the R40 centax, as much as they did a good car like R40, their centax is still not as good as a centax compare to Mugen or Serpent.

I have replaced most of the R40 centax parts with new one (new OEM parts)........I still feel the clutch housing is a little warble here and there..........my 4 years old Serpent centax does not have that kind of a feeling, still spin freely and smoothly.

But anyhow............I still want to work on the R40 centax cause that will fit the R40 the best (I hope), but I want to know, should I stick with the 0.8mm stock black shim behind the collet and add/remove shims in front..?

The old way of building centax is add/remove shim before collet, the newer way of setting centax is FIX shim at the collet and add/remove shim before clutch bearing and in front of the thrust bearing....

And last night, I have to do BOTH........collet shim ended up to 1mm and add a 0.4mm before bearing and 0.8mm before thrust bearing............STILL.........ended up 0.45mm gap different, which I don't really satisfried with, I want to shorted it to 0.25mm to 0.35mm range.....which is very easy to set on all of my Serpent Centax.

This is by far the longest time I have to spend on doing a Centax system.

quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Also, do you guys know that the thrust bearing from the R40 centax, both O-RING are having different inner diameter just like Serpent or Mugen Thrust bearing....? And the larger diameter one are suppose to go in first (toward flywheel) and the smaller diameter one are facing outside.

Thrust bearings ALWAYS have one ring with bigger inner diameter than the other and you always need to put the bigger inner diameter first towards the clutch shoes and then the smaller one further out.

quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
I didn't see HPI manual mentioned that, don't know that matters or not, but on Serpent and Mugen's manuel, they both mentioned it and it must go in to the right direction.

If you did not happen to install the thrust bearing right, then HPI just gets richer selling blown out thrust bearing replacements.

quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
It's to adjust the roll center for the front upper arms. If you noticed that your kit came with two of those. They are to control the height of the rear portion of the front upper arm. Also, the kit came with two different rubber grommetts (sp?); the piece that fits into the bottom of the shock tower which holds the front upper arm hingepin. With the two different rubber pieces....you have three different positions where you can mount your arm, stock (low), center, and high. Use the corresponding rear pices to adjust the upper hingepin to keep the hingepin parallel to the lower hingepin. Hopefully that makes sense. And there you have it. I've tried raising the roll center by adding one rear shim plus using the other rubber piece. The car felt quite responsive but had no grip. I also tried angling the upper arm as I was using kickup on the lower arm. I ended up going back to the low roll center. That seemed to give me the most traction. I guess on high bite tracks where traction rolling is a problem, using a higher roll center up front would help. AND THERE YOU HAVE IT.

Now I can finally.......

Thanks bubba!!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default r40 for sale

I got a really nice R40 for sale on ebay right now check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-R40-Novaross...3A1%7C294%3A50
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-r40.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cta4LC4PON3
I have recently come back to the rc world after alot of years away and when i was in i was only electric. I have been going to the only place that has a track and i have been watching what people are driving. I noticed alot of people are running the HPI RS4 Evo+ so i decided to buy one.

is it good or bad. i havent opened it yet and can be returned.

what can you tell me about the car itself. this place isnt for serious racing its just a place where people go to have fun and basicly show off there cars.

also what kind of tires would i need and ive seen cars fully decked out in purple upgrades and id like to get some of those also.

thanks
some on this thread can help you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.