Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I never shared this cheaper option with you guys. Because I never tried it but I have a feeling itll fit the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GPM-Alloy-Diff-L...QQcmdZViewItem

If not just get the hpi rear solid diff and you just put it in the front. Solid diffs work well in low-mid traction situations and on tighter / smaller courses. Ive been running a solid for awhile now. I think its a good option and its ZERO maintenance as well it wont change from day to day or if the temperature changes.

how does a solid axle help on a small,tight course?.....I would think it would hinder turn in steering....
Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastharry
how does a solid axle help on a small,tight course?.....I would think it would hinder turn in steering....
I'm guessing AI is comparing it to the one way that comes with the hara/2005. Thanks for the links guys, I think I'll take the $5 ebay option as opposed to the $16 HPI one
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fastharry
The solid front gives you brakes and exit grip. A combination of a diff and a one way. You are correct that you loose turn in, and it also creates extra strain between the front dog bones and out drives. The loss in turn in can be compensated for fairly easily with softer springs/shock oil/tire in front and maybe a touch of toe out. You can also adjust the caster angle and that helps too. With a solid front you need to change your driving style too. You dive into the apex, brake hard and late (this also helps the turn in) and accelerate hard out of the turn. This works pretty well on smaller tighter tracks where you scrub off most of your speed through the corners.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stefanos
...now i will add something ,why buy this thing?i mean in my 2003 r40 i just add silicon inside the diferental insted of oil and is solid :P no cost and maybe same weight :P
I'm guessing that you are talking about silicone glue. We call it shoe goo here in the states. If you use the shoe goo, that diff becomes permanently a solid diff. It also becomes quite heavy and that weight is rotating mass which will slow down your acceleration. The plug is somthing you can remove without having to have a seperate diff.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its not for permanetly you can dig out the glue( i do that all the time :P),also if you dont add to much of it will no be lot heavyer than your normal oil :P
Old 05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Im selling my NTC3 and going to buy a better car (link to NTC3 if your looking for one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Associated-...QQcmdZViewItem) Right now Im thinking about getting an R40 to buy for racing. Ive read about the serpents, xrays, mugens, and what not but can someone tell me how the R40 compares to those? Is the R40 my best choice for a race car? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

I think the car is a little outdated,BUT,you can't tell by looking at the car.......it has the capabilities to run with any of the newer cars,I still stay with the latest 720's when I'm running.....In fact,at the unofficial HPI challenge we had in Sept,alot of Mugens,serpents,and the plenty of great racers showed up from all over.....the r40 held its own.....

and when I say the car is a little outdated,I'm looking at areas like the clutch,the diffs are not the current super small,etc....but on the plus side,the parts are WAY cheaper than all the other cars,its very stable,responds to tuning inputs,is easy to work on.......has plenty of steering....and until someone beats me good,its what I'm gonna keep running....

and,if you live in the USA,I'll sell you a brand new in box HARA r40 that I won at the hpi challenge in 06 for 300 plus shipping....(goes for over 400 at tower)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLUT9&P=7
Old 05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

Ok thanks for your help. I was looking for a car that has cheaper repalcement parts. I did notice that the R40 looks/designed like the other competition cars and thats what I want.

Also thanks for the offer but I cant afford a new car right now. My plan is to look for a decent used car with a good .12 engine in it along with most of the other stuff I need. Eventually I think Im gonna get a brand new car but not this year.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

glad to help....but one thing to keep in mind...the HARA is a WAY better car.....in fact,I would tell you to save for a hara(unless you can get one used),rather than buy the old car....
Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

Whats the difference from a Hara edition over the normal R40? Is there small designed changes or just better parts added on?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dabro15
Whats the difference from a Hara edition over the normal R40? Is there small designed changes or just better parts added on?
Both , only get the hara if you want to be competitive and it costs a lot less in the long run.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Ok but can someone tell me each of the differences like carbon fiber upgrades, titanium, etc.?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dabro15
Ok but can someone tell me each of the differences like carbon fiber upgrades, titanium, etc.?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=11277

The r40 is very competetive. When i first rocked up at my mugen dominated club a few people didnt have good things to say about HPI or the R40, yet once i got it dialled it was really quick despite a cheap engine/pipe and the front 1 way diff on a tight track.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

I'm looking for a R40 right now. So far, no luck. Fastharry offered me one but cant don't have the money to buy everything new (the kit, new engine, etc.). Does anyone have a decent used R40 with the an engine and most other gear they'll sell me? I don't really care right now if its an Hara edition cause I want to get a car for a lower price than if i bought one brand new.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

better wait and get hara used ,it will cost you less money .if you get older you will need lot of parts that will be expensiver than geting the hara new

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.