HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R40 Turnbuckle slipping?

Originally posted by BF
I note a couple of the regulars at Bayside are running 24mm sorex on 26mm rims with good results. With the weather nudging 30C, 40R will be working after mid morning.
Makes sense - Using the wider rims provides a larger contact patch plus lower-profile gives firmer sidewalls too...

Last edited by JAG Racing; 10-05-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Not sure if Thad is still reading this forum but I am wondering why Hara uses the red proceed springs on the rear rather than the gold R40 springs as they basically have the same spring rate from what I can see of them.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ? For AMG

Hey AMG I was wondering where or if you have one you get the Hammer 12 I see that you have it listed in your signiture. Also I don't know but I think the reason he runs those springs is because at the '03 Nats I don't think that HPI had other option springs yet and this year he just knew that they worked before so I am sure that is why he ran them again. That is my opinion take it how you want.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: ? For AMG

Originally posted by huskerfreak
Hey AMG I was wondering where or if you have one you get the Hammer 12 I see that you have it listed in your signiture. Also I don't know but I think the reason he runs those springs is because at the '03 Nats I don't think that HPI had other option springs yet and this year he just knew that they worked before so I am sure that is why he ran them again. That is my opinion take it how you want.
Hey there yep I have a Hammer 12. I got it from somebody locally who got it from Japan. I can tell you it is the best 1/12th scale car I have ever seen or driven by a very large margin.

Thanks for the info on the springs, it makes sense. I know that the R40 option springs are shorter and wider than the proceed springs and I was not sure whether there was a particular handling difference in this.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Light-weight 2-speed

OK - Just picked up my lw 2-speed. Now why is it that the gear ratios are so different from the standard 2-spd ?

The stock 2-spd gear ratios are:
1st = 7.260 2nd = 5.731

The light-weigth gear ratios are:
1st = 6.600 2nd = 4.506

Now those are some tall gears!

Looks like I'll have to order the 20T & 25T pinions before I install it. Our local track is not real large.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Light-weight 2-speed

Originally posted by JAG Racing
OK - Just picked up my lw 2-speed. Now why is it that the gear ratios are so different from the standard 2-spd ?

The stock 2-spd gear ratios are:
1st = 7.260 2nd = 5.731

The light-weigth gear ratios are:
1st = 6.600 2nd = 4.506

Now those are some tall gears!

Looks like I'll have to order the 20T & 25T pinions before I install it. Our local track is not real large.
Try the gearing as it is. I was concerned the same as you when I got my gearing, but for some reason it pulls the higher gearing no problems and is just as punchy out of the hole. I used the standard 0.8M gearing and loved it.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Light-weight 2-speed

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Try the gearing as it is. I was concerned the same as you when I got my gearing, but for some reason it pulls the higher gearing no problems and is just as punchy out of the hole. I used the standard 0.8M gearing and loved it.
I'll let you know how it goes... I went ahead and ordered a few optional gears from Tower just in case.

One thing about the new 2-spd, it uses two 2.6mm screws ( one black and one silver ) and my 2.5 mm Hudy wrench slips on the black one and not the silver one ... strange

Did you change the screw out with a 2.5mm?

Thanks,
Old 10-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Light-weight 2-speed

I'll let you know how it goes... I went ahead and ordered a few optional gears from Tower just in case.

One thing about the new 2-spd, it uses two 2.6mm screws ( one black and one silver ) and my 2.5 mm Hudy wrench slips on the black one and not the silver one ... strange

Thanks,
I cant say I had a problem with my wrench slipping so I did not bother to change them. I use the square Hudy, not the ball one............... Very strange.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:16 AM
BF
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it uses two 2.6mm screws
I haven't checked, but I think you'll find 2.6mm is the thread not the head.

I'm sure I used my 2mm hex wrench to adjust those. I also found the silver one to be a bit softer than the black one as I remember.

Last edited by BF; 10-08-2004 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

JAG,

Yes the hex on those screws are kind of weird, I use the L wrenches that come with the kit to adjust the 2spd screws because its easier to tell how much I turned. The first time I tried to do that the screws stripped out. I ended up slotting them both and use a flat blade carb screwdriver to make the adjustments.

About the tall gearing the 0.8M comes with, here are my findings when directly changing from the stock 1.0 to the 0.8.

The first speed pulls just as strong from a stop (as many have stated), but fact remains its still a taller gearing so your shift point ends up being at a higher speed as well. And when it does shift, you better hope you have some road left to hit 88mph . The stock 0.8M gearing felt unsuitable for a tight track to me, despite having decent accel and higher top speed. I switched all the gears out to the shortest 1st and 2nd gear combination possible, and it worked much better. Think about it, if you can pull just as well as the 1.0M with tall 0.8M gears..... what do you think shorter 0.8M gears would do??

One last thing, my Asian 0.8M came with 21/27 59/53 gears. So your US 0.8M is even taller to begin with.

Last edited by boom; 10-08-2004 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

[

Thanks, [/B]
HPI told me 2mm when I got mine
Old 10-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by boom
JAG,

Yes the hex on those screws are kind of weird, I use the L wrenches that come with the kit to adjust the 2spd screws because its easier to tell how much I turned. The first time I tried to do that the screws stripped out. I ended up slotting them both and use a flat blade carb screwdriver to make the adjustments.

About the tall gearing the 0.8M comes with, here are my findings when directly changing from the stock 1.0 to the 0.8.

The first speed pulls just as strong from a stop (as many have stated), but fact remains its still a taller gearing so your shift point ends up being at a higher speed as well. And when it does shift, you better hope you have some road left to hit 88mph . The stock 0.8M gearing felt unsuitable for a tight track to me, despite having decent accel and higher top speed. I switched all the gears out to the shortest 1st and 2nd gear combination possible, and it worked much better. Think about it, if you can pull just as well as the 1.0M with tall 0.8M gears..... what do you think shorter 0.8M gears would do??

One last thing, my Asian 0.8M came with 21/27 59/53 gears. So your US 0.8M is
even taller to begin with.

I just ordered the 20T and 25T from Tower so I'll be close to the 1.0 combo I run now. I think the greatest benefit will be the reduced roatational mass the motor has to turn which should really help the overall acceleration/decelerration ( at least I hope it does ).
Old 10-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Centax

How far do you guys tighten on the stock centax of the R40? I'm about 1-2mm down and my engine still revs while its off the ground. My MT12 is running really nice but the car goes no where. Meanwhile I'm gonna use some thread lock on the pinion gears since they keep coming loose. Hopefully tomorrow I'm gonna bash but the R40 aint ment for ball parks. It's gonna have a nice monday and wednesday afternoon all to itself though.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

need help w/ my clutch engagement . how come i can't get a good low end w/ it? how many shims are you guys using? does it affect it by adding more or less shims in it?
Old 10-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I recall running 2 gold and 1 silver. Engine just revs, and car stays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.