Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JAG Racing
I run my R40 nearly stock ( lightened shafts only ) w/ stock MT-12 engine and it runs just fine and I usually run in the 'A' main at the club level. I tend to believe my driving skills are holding me back more than the car's weight if you know what I mean. BUT, I think I'll try a few lightweight parts just to see. A lighter car should handle better and make it easier to drive.

If you are looking for a good deal on a brand new R40 ($219 + S&H) let me know! I also have some batteries, engines, etc.
Just a FYI for you, I would not go nuts on the lightening. I have really lightened my car up, but in fact the only handling trait that becomes better is transitional and the slightly heavier car does make the car much more planted feeling. If you are doing well with the car I would not change it yet too much.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Picked up the Touring Car magazine it has a ten car rite up they used all the same motor, radio gear and tires if you find it take a glance at it
Old 09-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Just a FYI for you, I would not go nuts on the lightening. I have really lightened my car up, but in fact the only handling trait that becomes better is transitional and the slightly heavier car does make the car much more planted feeling. If you are doing well with the car I would not change it yet too much.
Thanks for the input AMG....from a physics standpoint, lighter is better < up to a point of diminishing returns of course >. This obviously changes the optimal set-up parameters but I would assume one could acheive this through chassis tuning, etc. Putting handling aside, deccelaration and acceleration characteristics would benefit alone making it worthwhile.

I don't recall any Formula 1 or NASCAR team preferring extra weigth

I don't plan to spend too much time/money on lightening the R40. I prefer saying that I run the car stock but I guess part of the fun in this hobby is "over-design" and over-thinking. I just put in the AAA size batteries and saved > 30 grams! Now hopefully the 700mA pack can last a full day of racing

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the weight savings on the lightened 2-speed? < I realize the difference in static and dynamic weight>

Last edited by JAG Racing; 09-30-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by JLock
JAG,

Sometimes a lighter car is not easier to drive, especially if it is not set up properly. You can sometimes get away with not-so-good set up on a heavier car than you can with a lighter one. You know that I would know more than anybody else.
Hey J - Your cars seem to handle pretty good! How far from stock is your R40?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input AMG....from a physics standpoint, lighter is better < up to a point of diminishing returns of course >. This obviously changes the optimal set-up parameters but I would assume one could acheive this through chassis tuning, etc. Putting handling aside, deccelaration and acceleration characteristics would benefit alone making it worthwhile.

I don't recall any Formula 1 or NASCAR team preferring extra weigth - that's all I am saying.

I don't plan to spend too much time/money on lightening the R40. I prefer saying that I run the car stock but I guess part of the fun in this hobby is "over-design" and over-thinking. I just put in the AAA size batteries and saved > 30 grams!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the weight savings on the lightened 2-speed? < I realize there difference in static and dynamic weight>
Yep lighter is better always. This is absolutely correct. My point is that the benefits you feel for $200 of your coin are not huge if your driving skills are not high, I know cause I have done it The "heavy" R40 is pretty competitive. Hara won in 2003 with a relatively heavy R40.

But the 2004 version (which I pretty much have now) is light and handles awesome Up to you how far you want to go with the car, but it is a great car!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Yep lighter is better always. This is absolutely correct. My point is that the benefits you feel for $200 of your coin are not huge if your driving skills are not high, I know cause I have done it The "heavy" R40 is pretty competitive. Hara won in 2003 with a relatively heavy R40.

But the 2004 version (which I pretty much have now) is light and handles awesome Up to you how far you want to go with the car, but it is a great car!
Understood AMG! I still run my R40 with a "trainer bumper"( custom wide bumper out of HDPE material ) so that when I "glance" off of a board, it doesnt rip my suspension apart.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the weight savings on the lightened 2-speed? < I realize the difference in static and dynamic weight>

the LW 2 sp is 20 grams lighter.....

but the real difference is the .8 module gears it has.....best option for the r40...
Old 09-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by fastharry
the LW 2 sp is 20 grams lighter.....

but the real difference is the .8 module gears it has.....best option for the r40...
Wow.. I can imagine that would be a worthwhile upgrade considering that the 20 grams is rotating mass... Not bad for $53. I see your pics you posted that show the 2-spd.

I'll have to read up on the 0.8 - is that the gear pitch? What exaclty make the 0.8 better? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey J - Your cars seem to handle pretty good! How far from stock is your R40?
The only non-stock item on my R40 right now is the graphite front shock tower. I do have the hollow two-speed shaft but have been too lazy to disassemble the car and put it in. Every thing else is out-of-box stock using Sirio motors with Nova carbs.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by HarKonnenD
Yeah. I've been actually thinking about a Sirio outlaw .12 (w/blue heatsink). They have it at my LHS for about $179 or so. I may go with the standard one. The owner said, they didn't have upgrade parts for it now since the people who bought the R40 there didnt request any. So, I'm back on the R40 instead of the NTC3. Still, need to get a new battery pack, but I'll have more than enough for all that, maybe a new body and a can of paint. My friend sorta thinks the R40 is kinda like a money pit since it cost's quite a bit just to lighten the car. I'm not so sure about that. I mena it does cost a good amount, but it a really nice car.
YGM
Old 10-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well I'm gonna try to bag that R40 tomorrow. Sorry, but all I have now is $$$ right now. I'll try to get some sorta discount. Just need a new rx pack, and more fuel. Might try Odonnells if I can get it.

Last edited by HarKonnenD; 10-01-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

HarKonnenD get back to me. I can hook you up with a new R40, engine, servos, rx pack for a sweet price
Old 10-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Just installed the piston set that Hara used on his R40 and as Thad said it really smooths out the shock action. Worthwhile in my opinion as the pistons only run around $9.
I missed this thread... can you paste the URL for us?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

edit
Old 10-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well turns out, someone wasn't able to cash my $50 check, so now I'm just down to $320. Surely not enough to get the R40, batt pack, and fuel. With all this frustration, I may just scrap the whole $hit and just save my $$ for no friggin reason. I've sick and tired of saving and planning something for weeks, only to have it ruined. I don't care what my mom say's, but that R40 is mine tomorrow and thats final. One weekend got by, then the second, but not this third time. It's mine I tell you! MINE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.