Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default Li-Po battery

I just fitted my Li-Po battery pack and voltage regulator to my car. The servo response is alot faster than my old 5-cell pack. I didn't put any of these packs on a scale, but the Li-Po battery pack and voltage regulator combined, feels lighter than my old battery pack. I’ve mounted them to my top CF plate. Still need to figure out a way to mount them to the bottom plate to lower CG.
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc02477.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc02478.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc02482.jpg  
Old 05-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ProE
I just fitted my Li-Po battery pack and voltage regulator to my car. The servo response is alot faster than my old 5-cell pack. I didn't put any of these packs on a scale, but the Li-Po battery pack and voltage regulator combined, feels lighter than my old battery pack. I’ve mounted them to my top CF plate. Still need to figure out a way to mount them to the bottom plate to lower CG.
What brand pack and regulator is that? Nicely done!!

What my current thinking was was to put the regulator under the pack and tape it to the CF panel similar to how you have done, but put the regulator UNDER the pack. Then use some 3mm ID standoffs and longer screws between the top deck and the CF panel to lower it towards the chassis.

I have tried to glue the packs to the chassis, the glue does not hold to the metal very successfully.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the Pivot ball help I will try that.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah im going to try and go with a lipo pack myself soon. Been trying to figure what size will work. I think im going to get the VXR ones.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

For the pivot balls, I use clear nail polish to keep them from backing out. It isnt as stiff as CA and alows easier adjustment.

I have been using a LiPo in my R40 for about 6 months. I am using a 900mha and have made some miner mods to the original battery holder and got it to fit. I put some foam to keep it from bouncing around. I mounted my regulator to the side of the steering servo which I am using a Futaba 9550 low profile servo. I will try to get some pics up to show you
Old 05-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys....I've finally decided to just stick with one car (RRR). I guess I'll give you guys first dibbs on my car. It's a Hara edition, however, when I was building it, I used only the parts needed to convert to the Hara edition. Everything else is still in the package. I have tons of spares, such as carbon susp arms, gears, pinions, urethane belts, built diffs with 10k, 20k, and 30k diff fluid. It has the rear adj sway bar and I have some titanium pivot balls. If your're interested PM me or email @ [email protected]. I will post some pics later in the for sale forum. There is enough to build the 2004 edition and the 2005 (Hara) edition. I'm not in a rush to sell so no low ball offers. Serious people only. I just don't want it to sit around as I know that it's a capable car. It's just that my driving style is more suited for the Kyosho RRR. Thanks guys. It's been great rollin with the R40 for the past few years.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Proteus
Hey guys....I've finally decided to just stick with one car (RRR). I guess I'll give you guys first dibbs on my car. It's a Hara edition, however, when I was building it, I used only the parts needed to convert to the Hara edition. Everything else is still in the package. I have tons of spares, such as carbon susp arms, gears, pinions, urethane belts, built diffs with 10k, 20k, and 30k diff fluid. It has the rear adj sway bar and I have some titanium pivot balls. If your're interested PM me or email @ [email protected]. I will post some pics later in the for sale forum. There is enough to build the 2004 edition and the 2005 (Hara) edition. I'm not in a rush to sell so no low ball offers. Serious people only. I just don't want it to sit around as I know that it's a capable car. It's just that my driving style is more suited for the Kyosho RRR. Thanks guys. It's been great rollin with the R40 for the past few years.

Jeff

Jeff, what made you go back to the RRR besides your driving style? stock vs stock how did each car perform?

thanks Jason
Old 05-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jscamry
Jeff, what made you go back to the RRR besides your driving style? stock vs stock how did each car perform?

thanks Jason
Just different styles. The R40 does need a little more work though but it is very capable. The R40 is a very stable car. Very easy to drive, whereas the RRR is more nimble and can get easily upset if pushed to the limits. What I will miss most about the car is cheap parts, parts are readily available, less maintennance, and stable. Plus I've been running the R40 for years. Just thought it was time for a switch.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Proteus
Just different styles. The R40 does need a little more work though but it is very capable. The R40 is a very stable car. Very easy to drive, whereas the RRR is more nimble and can get easily upset if pushed to the limits. What I will miss most about the car is cheap parts, parts are readily available, less maintennance, and stable. Plus I've been running the R40 for years. Just thought it was time for a switch.
another casualty of HPI's decison to not have an HPI Challenge...good luck bro..
Old 05-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yup, and that too!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

I too am most likely going to a V1RRR Evo when it is time to shift to a new car. It seems that HPI has pretty much abandoned racing the R40 with any of their team drivers, and no racing means no development work on setups and design.

I still have 6 months or so before my new one will need to come online, it will be interesting to see if anything happens before then.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
I too am most likely going to a V1RRR Evo when it is time to shift to a new car. It seems that HPI has pretty much abandoned racing the R40 with any of their team drivers, and no racing means no development work on setups and design.

I still have 6 months or so before my new one will need to come online, it will be interesting to see if anything happens before then.
I can see what you are saying, but do you feel that you have out grown the R40? Are you able to keep up with or pass your competition with the R40? I just dont see the need to change......

Just wondering

Jason
Old 05-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jscamry
I can see what you are saying, but do you feel that you have out grown the R40? Are you able to keep up with or pass your competition with the R40? I just dont see the need to change......

Just wondering

Jason
Nope the car is rockin. I really like it and it seems to suit my driving style very well.

But I also like to run a chassis that is being actively developed and improved on. So far HPI has delivered on that, the 2004 and 2005 models have all been a step up. But their commitment this year looks poor, and they are not fielding a team at the worlds as far as I can see. It seems unlikely we will see a 2006 edition.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Im going to wait it out and hope they come up with a 06 etc....I hope HPI is smart enough to not drop their pro car from the lineup. They have 20 different variants of monster-truck. Id hope what helped get them started will at least get some focus for a little.

But yeah I dont get this draw back from hpi. First no hpi challenge , now no team drivers. We havent seen a new setup sheet since what? 2003? HPI USA still never carried all the option parts for the car, Heck they just finally got the .8 2speed maintenance kit up. Which im very suprised it did finally arrive.

I dont care who does it , just as long as someone in HPI gives this new chassis some "proper" attention.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Im going to wait it out and hope they come up with a 06 etc....I hope HPI is smart enough to not drop their pro car from the lineup. They have 20 different variants of monster-truck. Id hope what helped get them started will at least get some focus for a little.

But yeah I dont get this draw back from hpi. First no hpi challenge , now no team drivers. We havent seen a new setup sheet since what? 2003? HPI USA still never carried all the option parts for the car, Heck they just finally got the .8 2speed maintenance kit up. Which im very suprised it did finally arrive.

I dont care who does it , just as long as someone in HPI gives this new chassis some "proper" attention.
what is to be expected from this new chassis? Is there not already a lighter chassis for the hara edtion?

jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.