Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dnitro
RapidRoy,
Do you go to Revelations? Seems like Im the only one with an r40 in that place. It really erks me that the owner of Rev doesn't support r40, he'll tell you flat out that it is crap. I really wish there are other r40 drivers there so I can compare setups.

When the bite is on at Rev, I use 42\40 shore f\r, 0 deg toe in front, 2 deg in rear. Camber is 1 in front, 2 in rear. Ride height is 4/5. Silver spring in front, black in the rear, with 50 weight. One way front-diff, and stock rear diff with heavy heavy oil. Works pretty well.
Haven't been there for a couple of years. Posted about that a couple of pages back. Turbojoe just started going there with his R40. Maybe I can meet up with you guys and we can start a support group. I'm a little suprised that Dana would say that. What I remember, he is a bit more reserved about the different brands. I guess old opinions die hard. Hara did win the ROAR nats right there at his track with the R40 though. We might just need to start a new trend there.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Dana seems pretty nice, but his eyes do kinda roll back when I say I have an R40. <=== like that.

I like HPI and I also like to "buy local" when possible. I have Tamiya electric stuff, a TNX, I have all Novak, KO and Airtronics stuff. If I can't drive to the place, I don't use it.

(Please don't hate me if you don't live in SoCal. My parents moved here, not me. )

Right now, I have it set up like the Hara/rev setup on the HPI site. I have the proceed red springs in the rear and no rear bar...funny you should mention the 42/40 stuff, that's exactly what I have on there. I just started racing this nitro stuff, so it works WAY better than I can drive.

You guys going to be there for T4T? I'll be there and I got another electric guy (CharlieO) to bust out his NTC3 for the weekend.

BTW -- just bought another one off of here for a backup and parkinglot car. It sux not having any parts for it at Rev -- I had to make two trips to Pegasus last time.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have terrible local hpi support. Never stops me. I can find better deals elsewhere anyways , just a lost to my local hobby shop. Allthough they will order parts for me. I just rather not drive there , order , wait , then drive back and buy, I rather sit at home , order and wait.

Ill agree you wont find lots of hpis at the track , but who cares. I like hpi , the r40 drives well and its all about the driver really. Also when you win it just feels that much better.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Also an update on my R40 parts quest.

I should be recieving my JET bumper today.

So I will be able to compare:

HPI Racing Bumper
Jet Racing Bumper
3Racing Bumper
P-Dub Racing Bumper

So far im pretty blown away at the weights, thickness and hardness of each of the bumpers. Its hard to decide what works better.....but Iam leaning towards one of them. Ill have photos and so forth on the website. Ill let you guys know once it is up.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Last race of the year, showed up for practice, spektrum receiver crapped out. Changed it to my old 40mhz receiver and used up all the practice time bar like 2 minutes. First heat got hit about 6 times in 2 laps and they finally broke my car. 2nd heat stayed well away from them all and came in 2nd place, just before my receiver battery failed. Some days just dont turn out right.

In any event 2nd place in a heat against all the other makes out there on a track I ran on 1 time 14 months ago I think proves this car aint a pile of junk.

I also use the Hara nats setup, with merely front bar changes and shore changes for each track. I personally found getting the shock valving correct makes a huge difference. If you just copy the setup without the shock internals being the same its not quite as good.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah I believe they run #1 piston....

-- Also didnt recieve the bumper today , but did get the team blue star chassis. I will be weighing that sucker in a little bit.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah the machined piston set has a 1 hole x 1.1mm piston. Up front it really makes the car turn much better on a decent sized track.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I have terrible local hpi support. Never stops me. I can find better deals elsewhere anyways , just a lost to my local hobby shop. Allthough they will order parts for me. I just rather not drive there , order , wait , then drive back and buy, I rather sit at home , order and wait.

Ill agree you wont find lots of hpis at the track , but who cares. I like hpi , the r40 drives well and its all about the driver really. Also when you win it just feels that much better.
definately their loss, because as often as you order new parts, they could be looking at early retirement..
Old 12-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by onnetz
definately their loss, because as often as you order new parts, they could be looking at early retirement..
LOLOLOL. I just had a bad night , that put a smile on my face, thanks.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

gee it would be nice to be able to afford the upgrades for the r40.

hey has anyone had problems with 1st gear stripping the clutchbell and coming off?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
LOLOLOL. I just had a bad night , that put a smile on my face, thanks.
no problem.... just work on the r40 and forget about everything else.. usually works for me..
Old 12-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bummy
gee it would be nice to be able to afford the upgrades for the r40.

hey has anyone had problems with 1st gear stripping the clutchbell and coming off?
My solution. Ebay - RCmart - 3racing - RCmushroom.

They are the key to my affording the r40. I find deals that blow me away which provoke my wallet to spend spend spend. I guess its a double edge sword.

But yeah if you want hpi aluminum parts , go 3racing , great quality and loads cheaper...as well those sites offer things at sometimes half of what I can find in the US or for the hpi part.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by onnetz
no problem.... just work on the r40 and forget about everything else.. usually works for me..
Yeah indeed its a stress reliever....until you get up on the stands for that 5 min qualifier...lol.

I also have found out lately that painting bodies is good for stress relieval. I just sit down with my bodies , start drawing the designs while watching some tv , apply the liquid mask right on the couch (smells like something from elementary like paste or something) , coming up with color schemes , then into the garage turn on my quiet air compressor and start blasting the paint.

Its very relaxing, almost kid like fun. I think its helped me through some stressful times this month and last...as well just coming here and letting my mind think about other things.

But seriously I think you guys are some of the coolest I have met online and ive been on forums for a seriously long time. Very helpful , nice to each other and me. Cant ask for more.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 12-10-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Hey...screw you.

Just kidding.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Hey...screw you.

Just kidding.
I will kill you if you "screw" my car, cuz only I CAN! J/k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.