Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KLANDERMAN
Thanks, where can I get them???
I heard it might be better to stick with the hpi spring and mugen grey pad. The stronger spring can wear out your thrust bearing.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I heard it might be better to stick with the hpi spring and mugen grey pad. The stronger spring can wear out your thrust bearing.
I meant to ask FastHarry about that. My thrust bearings are holding up just fine BUT the outer flanged clutchbell bearing is another issue.

FastHarry - Was it the thrust bearing or the outer clutchbell bearing?

If you are worried about the silver spring, then just get the gold one, its firmer than the HPI black spring.

Klan - Just do a web search for "Mugen Grey". If you can't find a spring, check my E*Bay store, I have one. <JAG Racing Hobbies>
Old 07-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah I guess im also convinced cause thad also suggested that setup.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAG Racing
Get the Mugen Grey clutch show and the gold or sliver Mugen spring. Your car will absolutely launch... silver is stiffer than gold. Also - try the RED delta clutch for even more bite.
H0765 gray clutch shoe and H0764 hard clutch spring, are those the items John?
Mugen also make an optional red clutch shoe (H0769) and an optional light weight centrifugal shoe (H0766) and an even harder clutch spring! I guess thats the silver one
Old 07-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

clutch bell...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Where can you get the mugen grey for cheap?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

google threw up a few places that sell them for just over 5 dollars, the red ones are 3 times more though. Are they more durable or do they give better bite, anyone know?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Tech Initiate

here is a place that i found that has pretty good prices for the mugen clutch parts

http://www.hobbieguyrc.com/catalog/m...6_products.htm
Old 07-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hesky
google threw up a few places that sell them for just over 5 dollars, the red ones are 3 times more though. Are they more durable or do they give better bite, anyone know?
The "red" is typically for 8th scale so it is more durable and yes, provides more bite... maybe a little too much for our .12 engines. I have tried it though and many other 1/10 racers do as well. Try it for yourself.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fastharry
clutch bell...

I was afraid you'd say that. I have gone through a couple lately also. In that case I am going to do one of two things: either change over to a mugen clutch bell ( b/c it uses a larger outer bearing ) OR bo back to the Mugen gold spring ( not as stiff as the sliver ).
Old 07-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

here's another place to get RC Mugen stuff...plus twister tires.....Lee is a great guy..

http://gasrccar.com/
Old 07-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

I meant to ask FastHarry about that. My thrust bearings are holding up just fine BUT the outer flanged clutchbell bearing is another issue.

If you are worried about the silver spring, then just get the gold one, its firmer than the HPI black spring.

Klan - Just do a web search for "Mugen Grey". If you can't find a spring, check my E*Bay store, I have one. <JAG Racing Hobbies>
I have used the Red and Grey pads, and the silver, gold and bronze (Kyosho) springs. I have 12 hours on my latest clutch setup with no failures. The secret is limiting the amount of endplay.

I use the Red pad in qualifying. It bites like nothing else but you need to run a high engagement point with it or you bog the engine. Also your fuel economy suffers using the Red pad. I like the Kyosho bronze spring, .6 mm pad to clutchbell clearance, 1.5mm on the adjuster nut and .1mm endfloat.

The Mugen Grey is milder and still has some slippage in it. It is less sensitive to having the clutch set "just right". I use the bronze spring on it (similar to mugen silver), .6mm pad to clutchbell, 1.0mm adjuster and .1mm endfloat.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

I was afraid you'd say that. I have gone through a couple lately also. In that case I am going to do one of two things: either change over to a mugen clutch bell ( b/c it uses a larger outer bearing ) OR bo back to the Mugen gold spring ( not as stiff as the sliver ).
Yeah my latest non HPI setup which I just picked up to try is this (have not run it yet)

Bought a complete MTX3 clutch setup which includes everything. Only using the HPI flywheel. I bought the aluminium JP Racing Mugen clutchbell, the lightweight Mugen flyweights and a new Red Delta clutchpad.

FYI the JP Racing clutchbell weighs only 4 grams!!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
Yeah my latest non HPI setup which I just picked up to try is this (have not run it yet)

Bought a complete MTX3 clutch setup which includes everything. Only using the HPI flywheel. I bought the aluminium JP Racing Mugen clutchbell, the lightweight Mugen flyweights and a new Red Delta clutchpad.

Damn im jealous. Those mtx's seem to have killer clutch setups. Very snappy...but maybe thats the chassis itself.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AMGRacer

I have a JP clutchbell coming in the mail also!! BTW, I talked with Mike Swauger (Team Mugen driver) and he tells me that while it works great, it also requires more maintanence. He has to "clean-up" the contact surface after each race day as the clutch shoe puts a glaze on the clutchbell. But hey, since I have my easy access clutchbell mod now, that's not a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.