Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default 3 Questions

1. Engine shaft - When you pull on the pinion Gears, how much movement should there be? I have shimmed mine and it moves about .1 to .2 MM.

2. Front Diff - Where do you get the Spool or Gear diffs at? I ask because I have a one-way and don't like the fact that breaking is near impossible without spinning out.

3. Springs - I have noticed some are running red springs on the rear from a Prospec. What is the rating on them compared to the black standard springs?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

i shim mine to about .5mm. It is possible to break properly if you setup your car properly. One the guys using a hudy tweak board to tweak his car and the breaking of the car is awesome with front one way.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

I tried to shim it at .5mm and the gears get what appears to be too much up and down movement(slop). When I add 1 more thin shim it eliminates the slop, but does not leave much in/out movement. My concern is if there is not enough in/out movement can it harm anything?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well. Just found out something else today about the D3R. The flywheel now sticks out like 1-2mm underneath the chassis. I guess the motor itself sits lower.

So now im kinda stuck on what I should do. Seems like the R40 isnt very friendly to motor fitment. My nova fit great though for everything , too bad the darn thing flames out and is a 5 port anyway.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You don't want the flywheel to sit lower than the bottom of the chassis...

Do you have any pieces of aluminum? You can create some spaces for under the mounts to bring up the engine.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Well. Just found out something else today about the D3R. The flywheel now sticks out like 1-2mm underneath the chassis. I guess the motor itself sits lower.

So now im kinda stuck on what I should do. Seems like the R40 isnt very friendly to motor fitment. My nova fit great though for everything , too bad the darn thing flames out and is a 5 port anyway.
You might want to contact STS. Sounds like the machining of the mounting surfaces is messed up. It should be direct fit.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by svines1972
1. Engine shaft - When you pull on the pinion Gears, how much movement should there be? I have shimmed mine and it moves about .1 to .2 MM.

2. Front Diff - Where do you get the Spool or Gear diffs at? I ask because I have a one-way and don't like the fact that breaking is near impossible without spinning out.

3. Springs - I have noticed some are running red springs on the rear from a Prospec. What is the rating on them compared to the black standard springs?
1. I run as little end play as possible. I have never had any problems.

2. You can order a complete 4 gear diff and spool (just an aluminum plug) at tower or pick them up at your local hobby shop.

3. I think that the red proceed springs are a just little softer then the stock black. They are shorter so you can lower you car more.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Artificial-I

sure you didn't use a larger flywheel or a lower height engine mounts ? the mouting dimensions on a STS should be the same as a NR.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ill check mine on thrusday to see if mine is the same. If it is I didn't notice any difference with it.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone know the part numbers for the gear diff and the spool diff?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I ask because I have a one-way and don't like the fact that breaking is near impossible without spinning out.
What most beginers dont realize is that the brake set up is very important, basicaly, you want to set your brakes up so the just slow the car down, you dont want the wheels to lock up. This is even more important with a one-way, when coming down the straight at WOT you just want to tap the brakes before the turn. If the car is set up right, s lot of speed will be scrubed off when you turn into the turn, thus minimising the need for brakes.

Try it, it will make you faster.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Sweet finally found a lightweight flywheel for our cars. Also got a titanium brake disc and a new handle.

Stupid stuff but it was cheap. Except for the flywheel. But im hoping this helps the engine braking torque.

As lightweight flywheels always make the engine rev up and deaccelerate faster. Only problem is this could also make breaking traction easier. Im hoping it helps pep the car up some.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Initiate

ive been looking for a lightweight flywheel....where did you find it at?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah Ive always wondered why no one talked about them in this forum. Its hard to find. 3Racing makes it.

No one even carries or even lists it though.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Tech Initiate

I know... it seems to be a very important part of te drivetrain on the car. I have looked on 3Racing's website and it says they are out of stock..... I am just wondering if the Mugen flywheel would fit the R40.... looks liek the same flywheel...... and you can use mugen clutch parts with the R40 clutch, might be a possiblity......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.