HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

well I've never tried my R-40 with rubbers, but I tried my RS4 racer with foams and it handles awesome... Neither of my cars will ever use rubber again!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Send the vid to me.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by KLANDERMAN
well I've never tried my R-40 with rubbers, but I tried my RS4 racer with foams and it handles awesome... Neither of my cars will ever use rubber again!!!
Rubber is just more durable and lasts longer.

If your going to use foams only get some harder ones so they wont rip apart. If your running on a parking lot , kinda bumpy , pitted road. Then definently stick with the harder foams. If not they will rip apart from the parkinglot.

The only bad thing is you want actually softer foams than the track for a parkinglot. They work better in sandy , low-traction areas....but will wear tons faster and can basically fall apart / chunk off foam.

Anything I bash with is normally a lot harder so it will last. But dont go too crazy on the hardness or they wont be any fun to bash with.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Rubber won't last longer and isnt more durable that foam depending on how its driven. I had my stock HPI tires and they lasted me a lot longer than some of my rubber tires used. The rubbers aren't even soft compound; they are medium hard. My MT12 ripped a chunk outta my old pair of HPI rubbers and wore down the duratrax slicks noticably, however it didn't happen to my foams.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by nsxshogun
Send the vid to me.
Did you get it?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Foam vs. Rubber

Guys, I followed a similar conversation on this topic in another thread. It was lengthy, testy, and tedious. General consensus is some people like rubber, some like foams. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't mind one bit if we just left it at that!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Not talking about preference. Just saying wearing depends on surface bite, shore rating, car setup, etc. I just been driving with foams for 3 years and even still have some that haven't worn down much at all. Even with running on my electric with 11X2 Mod motor on one of the most filthy streets. I won't go back to ANY kind of rubbers unless I try this one way front and solid rear axle. If my slicks works well with setup and something else then maybe I'll try something else. Otherwise, forget about it.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by HarKonnenD
Rubber won't last longer and isnt more durable that foam depending on how its driven. I had my stock HPI tires and they lasted me a lot longer than some of my rubber tires used. The rubbers aren't even soft compound; they are medium hard. My MT12 ripped a chunk outta my old pair of HPI rubbers and wore down the duratrax slicks noticably, however it didn't happen to my foams.
Hmm perhaps I shouldnt have been so general.

I was going to say if you run really soft rubbers it might be worse and it all depends on what brand and how they are.

But generally to make a foam tire last longer, they add rubber. I could be wrong but this is what I heard.

I would personally stick with foams probably all together. But on my racer2 which has a .8hp powerplant on it. It does better with rubbers, durability wise.

On my r40 I can wear down a pair of foams with just a couple of overly hot laps. I get out of the line and use power or come in too fast and just slide....they wear bad.

I did notice on my r40 with rubbers the tire took on a whole new wear pattern. I think the loss of traction of rubbers can be so bad on the r40 it makes it the opposite and im sure this goes the same for the mt12 vehicle.

Too much power and the tires become drift tires as Ive said before. Where as the foam will at least get some traction and wont be just spinning itself off the tire.

Hope that made sense.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Not talking about preference. Just saying wearing depends on surface bite, shore rating, car setup, etc. I just been driving with foams for 3 years and even still have some that haven't worn down much at all. Even with running on my electric with 11X2 Mod motor on one of the most filthy streets. I won't go back to ANY kind of rubbers unless I try this one way front and solid rear axle. If my slicks works well with setup and something else then maybe I'll try something else. Otherwise, forget about it.
Yeah I shouldnt have been so general. I was going to give the lengthy version.

But yeah so many tires , so many hardness. One tire to the next might not even be the same but have the same rating.

Some rubber tires wear terrible, some are good. Ive tried yokomo,hpi,schumachers,ellegi. They all were quite a bit different in wear and durability. But this was also years ago, who knows what they have now.

But I think I agree on the R40. The foam will probably last longer no matter what.

As I said above the time I tried my r40 on rubbers Its just spinning the entire time and that was probably wearing them really fast, due to the fact they dont get to roll and grip....they just spin.

While with a foam tire you can keep from spinning and allow the tire to just roll and grip.

But on my racer2 the rubbers can last quite awhile. So long in fact that I used one pair for bashing for a good 2 years. Now I didnt bash every weekend. But when I wanted to run outside for a good 30-60mins. They didnt get worn down that fast at all.

Also ask the old HPI owners this question years ago on the rs4-2's and 3's. They all loved the foam tires but always said they wore faster.

Oh well, guess theres too many factors for me to generalize with this.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Thats exactly what happened to me with my rubbers. The car kept sliding all over. However with the M16 it didn't slide around so much.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah Ive got a RS .12 with a RD Logic Pipe. On my racer2 I can hold the throttle and it will get up to speed in about in second then would shoot across the lot in a few seconds.

The r40. I goto hold the throttle. Its already at speed as soon as Im at WOT. LOL

And is already screaming towards the parkinglot curb and im going holy crap and slamming the brakes watching it spin out wildly because of the one-way. LOL...

All on rubber tires and being the first time running it. That was a night....hehehehe.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Well I got a chance to take the R40 out for some runing in and I gotta say I had a blast managed to run for about 4 hours without any problems burned up a set of foams.
only thing I couldn't nail down was the back end would slide out from time to time mainly when I would hit WOT going into the straight.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey REG151 did you get the video?

NSXSHOGUN- did HARK forward the video to you or do you still want it?

On the foam/ rubber battle, I definately rule for the foam mainly because both will wear but the rubber rips on the sides to quickly...
Old 05-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

I got harks short vid. I need your new one. Im messin with my cam now tryin to fighre out how to upload videos to my computer.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well no more starter box. I have made my own starter...using parts from the starter box. LOL!
Whats that orange thing on your starter box wires. I'm trying to do mine like that now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.