Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A New Category Is Born : 1/10 GPR !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitracer
why would a 220mm against 220mm will make you win right away.. !

I think this will be a Fun ran for a while before any serious competition sooo... get your tool ready and start learning a new Class I am sure there is down side, like more wear on drive chain..etc.. time will tell.

One thing is those who can't find a Good traction track near by but still want to enjoy going relatively "fast" around the track, then this could be one choice ( or short cuts )
More speed with less traction equals a bad day at the track... 1/10 TC, 1/8th scale onroad doesn't matter....

It's funny that some people think that 220mm is some sort of short cut or some drivers don't want to learn how to drive or set there cars up... That is not the case. The learning curve would be steep as everything would be new... If you think that you can just slap on the new tires, a Lola body and have at it... You are truly mistaken. You would have to change your diffs, front and rear, gearing, droop, camber, caster, everything... You would be pretty much converting your 1/10 scale to drive like a 1/8th scale and I'm sure that those that drive 1/8th scale, when you pull the shell off, it looks different then the 1/10th scale... For anyone that thinks that 1/10 220 GRP is for those that are lazy and don't want to learn how to drive makes you wonder if they know anything about what they are saying... JLock, I'm not putting you on Blast... I know you know... It may have just come out the wrong way... :-) True racers will set there cars up right and those that are not won't...

RC_Alan
Old 05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc_alan
More speed with less traction equals a bad day at the track... 1/10 TC, 1/8th scale onroad doesn't matter....

It's funny that some people think that 220mm is some sort of short cut or some drivers don't want to learn how to drive or set there cars up... That is not the case. The learning curve would be steep as everything would be new... If you think that you can just slap on the new tires, a Lola body and have at it... You are truly mistaken. You would have to change your diffs, front and rear, gearing, droop, camber, caster, everything... You would be pretty much converting your 1/10 scale to drive like a 1/8th scale and I'm sure that those that drive 1/8th scale, when you pull the shell off, it looks different then the 1/10th scale... For anyone that thinks that 1/10 220 GRP is for those that are lazy and don't want to learn how to drive makes you wonder if they know anything about what they are saying... JLock, I'm not putting you on Blast... I know you know... It may have just come out the wrong way... :-) True racers will set there cars up right and those that are not won't...

RC_Alan
Go back and read the early posts in all these thread on the 220mm conversion. Many of those posts were complaints about how hard the 200mm car was to drive with the powerplant they chose or the car was squirrelly because of traction issues. Not once did anyone elaborate whether or not the track was cleaned properly, traction compounds were put down, or did they make adjustments to their cars. The early posts sounded more like folks looking for easy, quick fixes instead of working at making their cars handle under the conditions set forth.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLock
Go back and read the early posts in all these thread on the 220mm conversion. Many of those posts were complaints about how hard the 200mm car was to drive with the powerplant they chose or the car was squirrelly because of traction issues. Not once did anyone elaborate whether or not the track was cleaned properly, traction compounds were put down, or did they make adjustments to their cars. The early posts sounded more like folks looking for easy, quick fixes instead of working at making their cars handle under the conditions set forth.
You know what... You're right... We're on the same page...

RC_Alan
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RC_Alan

Are you still racing?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Are you still racing?
After the birth of Son, I took a year off... He'll be 2 yrs old this Summer, so I plan on getting back into the groove again... That's the plan, because I miss the competition, the smell of nitro, and just hangin out with the old friends.

RC_Alan
Old 05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

RC_Alan
No offense taken. Open, honest discussion is what gets new thoughts, outlooks, etc. out there for us to think about. The majority that enjoy the true aspects of r/c racing worked at it. I know that there are some converting their cars to 220mm that understand this. It is the ones that are doing it, thinking that it will erase all their ills (bad setups, lack of good driving skills, etc) that may hurt the class.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After the birth of Son, I took a year off... He'll be 2 yrs old this Summer, so I plan on getting back into the groove again... That's the plan, because I miss the competition, the smell of nitro, and just hangin out with the old friends.

RC_Alan
Congratulations on your son and I'm glad that you are going to be racing with us again. A lot of people did take a break but we got new people and a lot of guys seem be getting back to racing regularly again....
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

some suggestion for set up , I started off using same set up as my Touring car to feel the difference and most noticable is the turn in speed was much faster/ quicker.

At end of the day, I went 1 step harder on springs, 1 teeth lower on both pinion, less droop and thicker rear diff. All these made the car steer quicker felt a lot faster. Only tested the 37 shore tire came with the kit. After 40 min testing on the track, I lost 2.5mm tire so tire wear is quite good.

The shop I bought the kit in HK already sold out and most of them will be hitting the track today. Should be fun
Old 05-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

RC_Alan
MUGEN TRAINING CAMP will be waitng 4 you
Old 05-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

errr, why don't play 1/8th instead??? i mean since it looks so much like 1/8th GP, the special size tyres ain't easy to get too... so better play 1/8th scale GP, tyres r readily available n the car is much much quicker too... i thought ther was this lola 1/10th body 200mm GP cars before but it got killed not so long ago...

Old 05-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the KNACK's version is available in Japan now, http://www.pro-s-futaba.co.jp/web/in...=213&Itemid=50
Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fly_wheel
errr, why don't play 1/8th instead??? i mean since it looks so much like 1/8th GP, the special size tyres ain't easy to get too... so better play 1/8th scale GP, tyres r readily available n the car is much much quicker too... i thought ther was this lola 1/10th body 200mm GP cars before but it got killed not so long ago...

this is a new Toy, a conversion kit,
if you already have a 1/8 then yea why buy this
Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jlock,

All I'm trying to say is there are a lot of hobbyist who just like the driving/playing part and not the technical/mechanical setup part of the hobby. i also did not mention anything about winning... i am all about just driving and having fun.

in big races, top level some of the best drivers have their own mechanics. are they lazy? i don't think so. its just driving and car setup are two different disciplines. unfortunately most of us dont have luxury of having a mechanic.

have fun.

joel
Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

KAWAHARA GPR Conversion kits are available at Kamikaze for MTX 4/R, V ONE RRR, and NT1, Tires in shores of 37, 40 rears and 37, 40, and 42 Fronts are also in stock for this Category.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Sam can you get the lola t92 body for 1/8th scale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.