Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rody Tuned or NovaMax

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Rody Tuned or NovaMax

A friend of mine was already set on getting the 5 port Rody tuned engine... That is until another friend came back from HK and bought himself a NovaMax engine (tuned by Massimo Fantini). Now he's undecided...

The question he's asking now is which one to choose for around the same amount of money? Both are now available locally.

I've checked and the NovaMax carb is the same as the one you get on an NovaMega MS tuned engine with the same hole diameter opening (5.7 or 5.8 mm if I'm not mistaken). The Rody engines have larger bore. I have not looked in the insides of the NovaMax engine though but from what I can see, there is some porting done on the crankcase, evidently on the crankcase exhaust port.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Re: Rody Tuned or NovaMax

Originally posted by InitialD
A friend of mine was already set on getting the 5 port Rody tuned engine... That is until another friend came back from HK and bought himself a NovaMax engine (tuned by Massimo Fantini). Now he's undecided...

The question he's asking now is which one to choose for around the same amount of money? Both are now available locally.

I've checked and the NovaMax carb is the same as the one you get on an NovaMega MS tuned engine with the same hole diameter opening (5.7 or 5.8 mm if I'm not mistaken). The Rody engines have larger bore. I have not looked in the insides of the NovaMax engine though but from what I can see, there is some porting done on the crankcase, evidently on the crankcase exhaust port.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
The old "My Friend" question
Old 06-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

my friend also said...blah blah blah..oopps i forgot!
Old 06-11-2003, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by RClover
my friend also said...blah blah blah..oopps i forgot!
My friend thinks this engine is better....
Attached Thumbnails Rody Tuned or NovaMax-dsc00064.jpg  
Old 06-11-2003, 01:50 AM
Tech Adept

rclover you can go f yourself.. errr i mean manticore
lmfao
Old 06-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'd give the novamax a go. Hey why not. I know of a few Rody 3 ports here in Australia failing quite early in there life. Unfortunately I was the owner of one of these failed engines. Now I'm not sure of RB products at all.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:19 AM
Tech Prophet

N1, don't need to use vulgarities. Pointless to use on people like that. Don't need to degrade ourselves to their level...

To straighten out facts, I was actually sincere in asking the question above to help out a newbie friend of mine and I don't think I was wrong doing that. If I wanted advise for my own, I would have said so. Gees, I could have taken the trouble to register under the guise of many other user handles and posted the question like a newbie. I don't have any low self esteem problem to admit that I do not know everything... In fact, the "world champion" label under my nick doesn't mean anything. Like others, I'm still learning. Just wanted to ask those who ran either engines and what were their opinions if they ran them or saw one running... A valid question I think.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by finchy
I'd give the novamax a go. Hey why not. I know of a few Rody 3 ports here in Australia failing quite early in there life. Unfortunately I was the owner of one of these failed engines. Now I'm not sure of RB products at all.
finchy, thanks for the reply. I was thinking along the same lines too. The NovaMax is actually a Novarossi based engine with some mods here and there like the JP.

I've also heard horror stories about the Rody tuned engines over here. Some of them I hear have metal debris in the engine and some have problems with the carb needle not wanting to go in... Then again, with such big quantities of engines produced, there is bound to have some quality problems like this.

Anybody know if the NovaMax is based on the new engine spec using the 11.5 mm diameter crankshaft and new bearings like the RB V12 and Novarossi NS12?
Old 06-11-2003, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

InitialD, I heard that the failures are mostly broken crankshaft, could it be running much too lean?

although I havent seen how much faster is the rody, I am very happy with my nova but I would prefer something slower.

How much is the mod nova in HK?
Old 06-11-2003, 02:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by finchy
I had one failed after one race meeting, broke the crank. Second one still run strong but fuel economy is a issue. 5min 40sec the best I got per tank . I think is due to the carb ( 6.5mm ) and 5mm exhaust port

Max 12, very good torque so far. but not fully run in yet (stop raining pls ) saw another one on the track , running on the rich side, made over 6min 30sec. Carb 6mm, exhaust 4.5mm, cut wider than standard sleeve. Hope this help.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by kitracer
I had one failed after one race meeting, broke the crank. Second one still run strong but fuel economy is a issue. 5min 40sec the best I got per tank . I think is due to the carb ( 6.5mm ) and 5mm exhaust port

Max 12, very good torque so far. but not fully run in yet (stop raining pls ) saw another one on the track , running on the rich side, made over 6min 30sec. Carb 6mm, exhaust 4.5mm, cut wider than standard sleeve. Hope this help.
Thanks for the detailed info on the sleeve kitracer I did not know that the exhaust port on the Rody sleeve is 5 mm... You're taking the height measurement of the exhaust port hole, right?

I have not heard of the Rody engine's drinking fuel problem. Maybe because they run on NTC3s without the tank restrictor...

Any pics to feast our eyes on?
Old 06-11-2003, 03:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by spawn
InitialD, I heard that the failures are mostly broken crankshaft, could it be running much too lean?

although I havent seen how much faster is the rody, I am very happy with my nova but I would prefer something slower.

How much is the mod nova in HK?
Yes, I have heard of cranshafts breaking at the inner engine bearing. It could be due to anything... Fuel (not enough lubrication), lean conditions etc.

The Rody engines are FAST. One of the faster engines out there with the exception of custom hand mod engines. Even surpassing the JP.

kitracer mentioned that he bought the NovaMax for HKD 2200. Streetprice is HKD 2400. Anything more is a ripoff. Do you own conversions... But the prices of RC stuff that we are getting here are already expensive. The LHS needs to make a buck or two and considering that, it's still pretty reasonble considering some HK online shops out there that are willing to sell more than USD 400 for the engine alone
Old 06-11-2003, 03:35 AM
Tech Elite

InitialD,
It may have been me?
I posted a little while ago about a couple of our local guys having troubles with the Rody 3 port. One had a problem with the mid needle following the low end needle. The other broke a conrod, replaced it, and promptly broke the crank. Add to that, finchy's failure as well.

Anyway, having been very pleased with two previous RB's, I decided to get a Rody 3 port anyway. This engine is likely from the same batch as the ones above, and yes, I'll be putting a rod in it real soon as a precaution. It hasn't done much work - one State Titles and three club meets.
I'm pretty pleased with the engine - plenty of power and it makes run-time easily. Tuning is on par with any of these mod engines - no different from the JP, really.

The Rody 3 port is a legal IFMAR engine, of course, and I expect the MAX and the Rody 5 port are in a power class above it.
I believe the MAX predates the V12 and NS12, but the pics of the MAX crank look pretty impressive - nay, beautiful.
We really need Motorman to make a judgement on this, though.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
InitialD,
It may have been me?
I posted a little while ago about a couple of our local guys having troubles with the Rody 3 port. One had a problem with the mid needle following the low end needle. The other broke a conrod, replaced it, and promptly broke the crank. Add to that, finchy's failure as well.
Thanks for your feedback and comments. I notice that since you're the mechanic father for the racer son, you would have noticed more happenings from the trackside... I appreciate them.

Anyway, I read about how the engines failed from you on the other thread. The ones that I related actually happened locally here. Nowhere near ozzieland of course There must be some truth to it.

Yes, I would have thought that I would fish Motorman out for his valuable comments with a thread title like that as I'm interested to know about them too from a reputable engine tuner... Instead along the way, I fished out unwanted garbage... Later.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by n1technik
rclover you can go f yourself.. errr i mean manticore
lmfao
yes sir...!
come'on, initiald. stop to pretend the innocent side.
n1technik is initiald is pmt...no balls to use your 'Good' image to f ppl on this board?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.