Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by williamw
The best electric conversion around for this car, is made by Tekno (thats what I'm getting.) It comes with a new chassis and a much improved layout over the Losi kit.
The stock electric losi conversion does very good as well. It has a clean layout and is easy to install. I disagree with the Tekno being an improved layout. Different, yes, but better? Not sure.

I prefer running the electric brakes over the mechanical ones. Just personal preference though. No need for the additional weight of the servo, calpiers and discs.

Tony does run the Tekno kit and is wicked fast with it!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
I have run both electric and nitro 1/8 buggy.
Hands down my electric car was faster. I am talking about
seconds per lap not tenths at my local offroad track.
Apples and oranges.
I will assume a well set up electric onroad gt
would have the same results.
They both have their place in rc.
I just hope the cars don't ever get mixed into
the same class together.
I can say it was nice to come home from a day
of offroad racing not smelling like castor oil and being
able to clean off my car with an air compressor.
I agree 100% with everything you said.

I have a GT8E along with a DM1-S. Both cars are setup very well and are very easy to drive fast. My E car is only a single speed and I would say top end is similar, but the time it takes to get there is NIGHT AND DAY. Running both at our local track, the difference in lap times as you said is seconds. Run time along with tire management is the biggest problem that would need to be overcome if they were grouped together. On asphalt, it's much easier to overheat the same shore rating tires in an electric GT8 car than it's nitro counterparts.

There is definitely room for both as I too enjoy running nitro very much. It's just a different atmosphere. I like the smell, sound and smoke from Ntro. It just plain looks cool! But I gotta admit, replacing my pitman, starter box, fuel, ignitor and glow plugs with a battery and and an on/off switch is pretty damn cool. lol
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Ppfff... "Atmosphere"... That of electrics being like that of a library. Like watching an NFL game or action movie on mute.

Some might like electric, but I find it thoroughly boring, and would rather take up basket-weaving. Both are similarly quiet, and thus similarly boring....
Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Ppfff... "Atmosphere"... That of electrics being like that of a library. Like watching an NFL game or action movie on mute.

Some might like electric, but I find it thoroughly boring, and would rather take up basket-weaving. Both are similarly quiet, and thus similarly boring....
The atmosphere I was referring to was that of Nitro. "I like the smell, sound and smoke from Ntro. It just plain looks cool!"

You're entitled to feel whatever you want though. Thanks for your input!

Basket Weaving. lol.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

"Jr's" 121 mph GT car is just wow, crazy fast.
Its not a 45 minute A Main on-road car; its just a missle on wheels!!

I'll try to get some "spy shots" of it... if he lets me, lol
Old 06-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Got any pics of your RB One RTR rally car Mika?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Herrsavage

Plugging your car into your laptop at the track to tweak the performance can be cool too.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcunamay
The stock electric losi conversion does very good as well. It has a clean layout and is easy to install. I disagree with the Tekno being an improved layout. Different, yes, but better? Not sure.

I prefer running the electric brakes over the mechanical ones. Just personal preference though. No need for the additional weight of the servo, calpiers and discs.

Tony does run the Tekno kit and is wicked fast with it!
The Losi layout is very good, but the Tekno setup gives you a lot more options, especially if you do want to run mechanical brakes, or one of their electric clutch setups. I would like to know the front to back weight bias on both conversions. The Tekno looks like it has a more rearward weight bias. On the other hand I have never run it, so I'm guessing.

I'm going to find out soon though. The K GTE is going on the self or away. I weighed it the other day ready to run, it was close to 9 pounds!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Got any pics of your RB One RTR rally car Mika?
Will get some.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by williamw
The Losi layout is very good, but the Tekno setup gives you a lot more options, especially if you do want to run mechanical brakes, or one of their electric clutch setups. I would like to know the front to back weight bias on both conversions. The Tekno looks like it has a more rearward weight bias. On the other hand I have never run it, so I'm guessing.

I'm going to find out soon though. The K GTE is going on the self or away. I weighed it the other day ready to run, it was close to 9 pounds!
Agreed! There are more options with the Tekno setup. Adjustable brake bias is a nice option along with the elecktri clutch. I believe it helps with traction and reducing temps. I've seen/raced against several Tekno kits and am impressed. I'm currently very happy with the way my car is working so if it aint broke...

8-9 lbs seems to be the norm for the E conversions. Mine weighs 3234 grams or 7.13 lbs w/o the body

Best of luck to you with your conversion. It's so much fun! Now let me get out of here before I anger the nitro guys.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Building & testing electric is fun but running isn't. You'll find that out later

Pics of the RB Rally

Last edited by MikaR; 06-11-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

You just lowered it, used the IGT body mounts, bumper and slapped on a set of our slicks. Nice Mika, looks like a fun street runner!

How do like you RB chassis and how are the diff ratios?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Diff ratios are the same as Kyosho. 13/46 in the bell/spur and 13/43 in diffs.
Could use a higher gear bell but 13T isn't bad where we run (parking lot currently).

The chassis is great. Weight is forward so it handles well actually. Really easy to work on, too. Good quality plastics and very nice shocks although a bit too soft springs. But it's ok.

You can see the shocks are on the front side of the rear arms, they can flipped on both sides. Also the stabilizer accomodates that (although not connected at the moment for the rear). This makes installing the rear body post very handy without any additional parts or work.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

I noticed the shock mounting, the layout looks pretty cool too.
Will the TRW springs fit?

How is the RTR engine?
Is it a .21 or what is it?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

It's a .21 and it's ok. I was thinking a RB monster truck .28 with a rotostart when I need to replace this. Roto should be accessible thru the back of the car, under the body.

TRW shocks might fit but I don't want to invest too much on this. Those shocks are very nice anyhow and I can run on gravel too by just changing the tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.