Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rifraf
I guess, I can run a X-ray rx8 in the ''Spec class,''? Looks as if this class is becoming not so spec? I thought this class was designed to be a low budget class.Does anyone have a rulebook for this class? OR is it wide open to whatever chassis mods,motors you desire? Maybe,I need to rethink this class..
I am speaking of Texas based tracks...
Two completely different cars. We are talking about buggy based GT cars, not 1/8 on-road 4wd. The GT cars have 2 gear diffs and shaft drive not belts, spools and one-ways. Google Xray RX8,
Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yes sir,I realize this.but all i'm saying is this was supposed to be a lower budget class for the guy's not wanting to spend megga $'s to be competitive in on road racing.I guess,I just don't understand the concept,not trying to start a war.just saying..
Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ipe-Turbo-Plug

What do you guy's think about this motor in a Ofna dm-1 spec car? I will be racing this car on a track..
Check out

http://www.novarossi.it/eng/products...display=public

If you want more power

Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Yes sir,I realize this.but all i'm saying is this was supposed to be a lower budget class for the guy's not wanting to spend megga $'s to be competitive in on road racing.I guess,I just don't understand the concept,not trying to start a war.just saying..
Gotcha. It started out that way, not sure where it's going now.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by williamw
There is no easy fix for the lack of a 2speed on the Losi. Maybe they are already working on it. There is someone on the forum who did a conversion but it did not look easy and kinda messy.
Two chassis lengths does not make it easy for a manufacturer, but I suspect the shorter chassis is going to win, its based on a buggy not a truggy and most races are being won with the shorter length chassis.
Yeah thats my friend Kitchen who has the Losi. It's scary fast.
Yesterday we had a big trophy race at Blue Diamond and if he didn't have traffic problems and a flame out he would of won. I took first in the A but he had the faster car. We had two full heats of racing, it was a blast!!
So many sponsors stepped up to make this a great event. Ipanema, Sweep, Max Velociti, Skyrocket, Kosmic, Trinity, Hobby Hut to name a few!
Blue Diamond definitely has GT action! So if your in the area, Come Get Some!!!!!

Last edited by gashuffer; 05-30-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Spec racing should be limited to car, parts and spending limit definitely.
Open class, well thats a whole other ball game!!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Yeah thats my friend Kitchen who has the Losi. It's scary fast.
Yesterday we had a big trophy race at Blue Diamond and if he didn't have traffic problems and a flame out he would of won. I took first in the A but he had the faster car. We had two full heats of racing, it was a blast!!
So many sponsors stepped up to make this a great event. Ipanema, Sweep, Max Velociti, Hobby Hut to name a few!
Blue Diamond definitely has GT action! So if your in the area, Come Get Some!!!!!
Thanks for giving credit where it's due, I could'nt remember his name. I bet the Losi is at least a pound lighter than the other cars out there and I know the drivetrain has very low rotating mass.

Are ya listening Losi?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I agree! I think a good starting on rules are;
No chassis mods[Whatsoever] CF etc...
Limit amounts of ports used[maybe a specific motor for the class]
These are big cost factors in IMHO...Just my .02..
Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Im not sure if the guy talkin about just putting a xray chassis into this gt class is tryin to start sh*t or if he's serious but how many options does this class have? Im new to this type of racing but isn't their the ofna and the kyosho chassis/cars and that's it? I didn't realize their was other options....plus I guess it depends on motor choice on what rules you are running, over here at leisure hrs in illinois we use the midwest rules which states motors can not cost more than 200 bucks but any pipe is legal,,,,now im repeating what I was told im brand new to class so pls forgive me if im wrong on subject
dnf don
Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Spec racing should be limited to car, parts and spending limit definitely.
Open class, well thats a whole other ball game!!
I like the idea of buggy type rules myself (dimension limits, tire/wheel size, body shape/type and thats about it. Driver skill and traction limitations take care of the rest. The fastest will always be the fastest, etc.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for giving credit where it's due. Are you listening Losi?

Double post.

Last edited by williamw; 05-30-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dnf Don
Im not sure if the guy talkin about just putting a xray chassis into this gt class is tryin to start sh*t or if he's serious but how many options does this class have? Im new to this type of racing but isn't their the ofna and the kyosho chassis/cars and that's it? I didn't realize their was other options....plus I guess it depends on motor choice on what rules you are running, over here at leisure hrs in illinois we use the midwest rules which states motors can not cost more than 200 bucks but any pipe is legal,,,,now im repeating what I was told im brand new to class so pls forgive me if im wrong on subject
dnf don
I think most tracks are running similar rules, or some variation until ROAR makes a final decision on rules for tracks who want to sanction their races with ROAR.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks for giving credit where it's due, I could'nt remember his name. I bet the Losi is at least a pound lighter than the other cars out there and I know the drivetrain has very low rotating mass.

Are ya listening Losi?
Not only is the car lighter but the suspension as so many options to choose from. Just an over all great car. Not that I dislike the GT/DM-1 they are great too, but when you drop in a car like the Losi into the mix it's over.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Congratulation to 1st place winner Bill, 2nd place winner Chad, and 3rd place winner David at the 34th annual Texas Biggie. Sweeps Racing Tires TQ'ed and swept podium once again. What a great event it was. I would like to thank Bob and Bill for hosting the event and Jeff for directing the race. I would love to go back for next year. What a great bunch of GT drivers, overall atmosphere was very positive. Lets do our best to grow this wonderful class even bigger
Old 05-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Can someone post of pic of your Sweep tires, I'm curious to see what the treads surface looked like after almost and hour of racing in the heat. I do not have any experience with them and want to try some soon.
We are running the Sweep 50 EXP slicks but they look like the have one heat of racing on them. They even still show signs of the center mold line around the center of the tire. We have been very happy with the traction and wear life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.