Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
So far, ROAR is only requiring the INS box for the carb. I believe three chamber pipes are not legal for their sanctioned races but someone else a little closer to ROAR will have to answer/vouch for that one.
I beleive you are right on the 3 chamber pipe...i remember when the jp-3 pipe came out they didn't agree with it so later on ofna came out with the jp-4 w/EFRA# on it where the jp-3 didn't
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whipnet
MMMMMMM Good!

lol
Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
I beleive you are right on the 3 chamber pipe...i remember when the jp-3 pipe came out they didn't agree with it so later on ofna came out with the jp-4 w/EFRA# on it where the jp-3 didn't
Since ROAR hasn't posted their 2011 rulebook to their website, I reviewed what they have in their 2010 rules concerning exhausts for nitro fuel classes. It doesn't specifically state that a 3-chamber pipe can't be used, they just state that the muffler/tuned pipe must be ROAR/IFMAR approved for all of their sanctioned events (rule 9.2.4.2)

This is what I did see in regards to INS boxes:

9.3.7 Inlet Noise Silencer device "INS" box shall be required for level 3,4 and 5 event
for on-road 1/8th scale competition. Roar will maintain an approved list of
acceptable devices available on the "Approvals" area of the ROAR web site. No
performance modifications will be allowed to the INS box. Modification will be
determined by comparison to sample device as provided by the manufacturer
and under control of a ROAR representative. Tolerance for this purpose will be
+/- .1mm.

So, for the upcoming race in Texas in May (Texas Biggie), I have already proposed the question about INS box use for the GT cars with the SWCS committee putting on the race. The race is a ROAR sanctioned level 3 race which is why the INS box issue was even brought up.

Last edited by JLock; 04-15-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

If we in the GT community get use to using INS boxes now, it will make it easier to transition over to ROAR races whenever they make and institute rules for the class. Why should we wait and follow when we can take the lead and set the precedent for our class.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

I believe our class is officially called the "1/8th Super GT" by R.O.A.R. So by wording alone we are no obligated to have a ins box in our cars. But it will not hurt, our cars can be loud.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
I believe our class is officially called the "1/8th Super GT" by R.O.A.R. So by wording alone we are no obligated to have a ins box in our cars. But it will not hurt, our cars can be loud.
So, lets just use the INS box now and get use to it before ROAR implements the upcoming class. This way, when you go to a ROAR race with your GT car, you will be ahead of the curve.

Last edited by JLock; 04-15-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

My 1/8 Super GT or GT8 for short will have one from now on. Hope it helps the db levels some. I think my neighbors are plotting against me.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For those who think otherwise, INS boxes and 3 chamber pipes are for noise reduction, they do not increase performance. Anytime you limit the amount of air an engine can inhale without decreasing the amount of fuel flow, your engine will run rich. The engine must be leaned out to run properly. That is why you get better mileage.
Restricting the airflow with a smaller carb insert does the same thing (offroad racers all do this now, fuel mileage means less fill ups, time saved, the engines are more powerfull than needed for offroad racing). The restrictors probably reduce noise somewhat also.
Less fuel and less air equals less power.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Fellas, I only posted on the INS boxes as a possibility for the 2011 Ipanema US GT National Championships because of the track’s close proximity to the pit seating areas and the echo effects of the track being between two buildings.

On another note, there are some tracks & races where our GT cars run with 1/8 scale & 200mm guys as more or less guests to the event or facility. If they complain about noise from out GT cars, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to use INS boxes to help keep the peace with everyone else and welcome more of them to want to help grow our class some more.

Other than that, I really couldn’t care less if we do or don’t race with them on our GT cars, lol
Old 04-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

I believe our class is officially called the "1/8th Super GT" by R.O.A.R.
dude, you can believe in fairy tales, unicorns or Tinker bell or call it the "zip boom bah crash" class if it makes you feel happy , but since the beginning its been known as The GT Class since 2007.

Check the name of this thread, "alwaysgottatrytogetthelastwordinpit".

Last edited by Jspeed; 04-15-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Gotta keep things funny, lol ha!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

So if I was using/racing a gt style body back in my 235mm. days , cause I always love realism, when everyone ran lola style bodies does that make me grandfather of gt style cars?dumbazzjeff
Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by williamw
For those who think otherwise, INS boxes and 3 chamber pipes are for noise reduction, they do not increase performance. Anytime you limit the amount of air an engine can inhale without decreasing the amount of fuel flow, your engine will run rich. The engine must be leaned out to run properly. That is why you get better mileage.
Restricting the airflow with a smaller carb insert does the same thing (offroad racers all do this now, fuel mileage means less fill ups, time saved, the engines are more powerfull than needed for offroad racing). The restrictors probably reduce noise somewhat also.
Less fuel and less air equals less power.
It might be true ... but a lil' less db's don't hurt. Sometimes there are families attending these races, and a happy family leads to more racing. Does any1 know if these will work in our cars? Them being shorter and lighter. ...
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

That looks like the Ofna cleaner, and yes we have been using those.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

It might be true ... but a lil' less db's don't hurt. Sometimes there are families attending these races, and a happy family leads to more racing.
GO BRUSHLESS!! (Sorry, had to)

Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Mhhhhh ... i can be wrong but under my experience, if the guys are using "the louder pipes available" even with INS boxes the benefit will not be there, is the combination of EFRA/IFMAR pipes + INS's in Europe that do the job.

Anyway ... those videos have AMAZING SOUND hehehehe ...

cya !

Pato

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Patricio,
The reason we’re thinking about them for our GT Open class for the Texas race is because of a few reasons:

A lot of the “GT Open” racers are already running on-road .21 engines with the loudest pipes available (some of them are not legal to be used in IFAR, EFRA & ROAR), just like the 1/8 scales cars, but without INS boxes they’re very loud at the track we'll be running at.

The track at Mike’s has the pit area right up against the side of the track on both sides of the driver’s stand. The track is also sandwiched in between two buildings that trap a lot of noise.

After watching these short videos of a only a few GT cars running a qualifier there, you can hear how loud it was. Watch these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7nN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6T-m...eature=related

Now try to imagine three full days of hearing 10 to 12 “Non-INS” equipped GT Open class cars on the track at one time. If the sound didn’t bounce off the two buildings and the pit tables weren’t close to the track, it wouldn’t be much of an issue really.

Add those together and a heavy turnout of GT Open class racers and it could get ruff after a while for everyone.

Those are the reasons we’re considering INS boxes for GT Open only for our race in Texas this year. GT Spec class is fine without INS boxes. Like I said, we're talking about it.

Glad to see you agree about the “no sauce” rule Bro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.