Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default new Ipanema transmission for sale

I have a new Ipanema tranmission for sale, please PM if interested.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default hey guys i need help

guys i want to convert a losi 2.0 buggy to on road, tires? body? can i do it? or what? please help
Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Sure you can! Most of the parts Losi has them, from de dirt modified car. Front bumper, body mounts, etc. The only thing problematic could be the two speed, but if the OFNA does not fit you can try the Thunder Tiger two speed. It is very small and I've seen it in a RC8 that uses a center diff about the same size as the Losi. Another consideration would be the wheelbase since the buggy is smaller than the truggy you have to verify that it isn't to small a wheelbase. I would use a truggy chassis for stability but that doesn't mean that a buggy would do great.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by jneg
Sure you can! Most of the parts Losi has them, from de dirt modified car. Front bumper, body mounts, etc. The only thing problematic could be the two speed, but if the OFNA does not fit you can try the Thunder Tiger two speed. It is very small and I've seen it in a RC8 that uses a center diff about the same size as the Losi. Another consideration would be the wheelbase since the buggy is smaller than the truggy you have to verify that it isn't to small a wheelbase. I would use a truggy chassis for stability but that doesn't mean that a buggy would do great.
do u think i could go brushless and keep up with the nitro?? what body would i use for the buggy chassis? and i do have a older truggy chassis i could use if needed?

Last edited by LOSIRACER77; 06-22-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77
do u think i could go brushless and keep up with the nitro?? what body would i use for the buggy body? and i do have a older truggy chassis i could use if needed?
You can set up an electric car to run as fast or faster than a nitro version, but your not going to run for very long and it gets expensive real fast because of batteries. The buggy chassis is probably the right length for a GT body and the truggy may work with the GT2 (longer bodies), but I think the Losi truggy chassis is going to be too long.
I would not be susprised to see a 2 speed from Losi soon. Thats all they need to compete against the Ofna DM1 spec and Kyosho GT/GT2 cars. If you read back a bunch of pages or search for it, someone else was doing the same thing you want to do. He was looking for a 2 speed that would fit between the stock center diff mounts. There is not much room to work with in the Losi but I bet it would be fast even as a single speed and the right onroad engine (read high dollar Novarossi screamer).

If you look back, there are pictures of my electric GT with a Mamba monster system. The Infernos and MP777s are easy to convert to GT cars.

Good luck.

Last edited by williamw; 06-23-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by williamw
You can set up and electric to run as fast or faster than a nitro, but your not going to run for very long and it gets expensive real fast because of batteries. The buggy chassis is probably the right length for a GT body and the truggy may work with the GT2 (longer bodies). I think the truggy chassis is going to be too long.
I would not be susprised to see a 2 speed from Losi soon. Thats all they need to compete against the Ofna DM1 spec and Kyosho GT/GT2 cars. If you read back a bunch of pages or search, someone else was doing the same thing you want to do. He was looking for a 2 speed that would fit between the stock center diff mounts. There is not much room to work with in the Losi but I bet it would be fast even as a single speed and the right onroad engine (read high dollar Novarossi screamer).

If you look back, there are pictures of my electric GT with a Mamba monster system. The Infernos and MP777s are easy to convert to GT cars.

Good luck.
i saw ur car with the red body and losi tires. thats what got me to thimk about this project. a 2.0 losi buggy with the dirt oval kit. mamba electric amd a 2650 kv motor. what class of car would i have then, and what bodies do i need to look at?? what body do u have on ur car??
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 AM

Default need help

i need some measurement guys for my project, the losi 2.0 buggy has a 12.750 measurement from the center of the front hub to the rear hub. i need to know what car comes close to this so i can find a body to fit.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Cool

i saw ur car with the red body and losi tires. thats what got me to thimk about this project. a 2.0 losi buggy with the dirt oval kit. mamba electric amd a 2650 kv motor. what class of car would i have then, and what bodies do i need to look at?? what body do u have on ur car??
It would be really fast with that setup. I went with the 2200KV motor because I wanted to try running up to 6S. The 2650KV is only rated to 4S, plus your buggy has much different differential gearing than my old MP777, a 2650KV motor may be too much, gearing is really important with big electric systems. Search for the gearing / setup calculators or contact Castle directly, they will get you going in the right direction.

There are no sanctioned ROAR events for GT or GT"E" cars yet. The rules are being written by Steve Pond at this time. There are more than several different series with different rules on the East Coast and in the Midwest running GT nitro and GT electric cars. I do not know what is going on out west (CA, etc.). Read back through this forum you will see most of them mentioned.

The short wheel base cars have lots of bodies to choose from, Protoform makes the least expensive, Kyosho makes the most expensive (but realistic) and Ipanema makes a racing body right in the middle price wise.

Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

do u think i could go brushless and keep up with the nitro?? what body would i use for the buggy chassis? and i do have a older truggy chassis i could use if needed?
It can be done - the electrics can definitely keep up with the nitros. Question will be mainly how long the heats are and what your run time will be. Here's a Losi I converted some time ago -

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris K
From the looks of the hex/axle and wheel it looks like they received a LOT of abuse!!!!!!!

Were you the driver Pato????

Yes, lot of abuse ...

No man, i was not the driver, im in my country (Chile) and the factory is in Curitiba City - Brazil.

As far as i know, official test driver arrived late to the track (technical track with solid side walls) so the first 15 tanks session was made by the factory owner ... he was happy because he is average driver and the wheels resisted ...

cya !

Pato Concha
Alpha RC Driver
Old 06-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

What do you think - should you guys open a separate thread for e-conversions to the "other side" (i.e. electric cars) ?

I like them, but I think this thread is related to nitro powered GT racing
Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Also let me add that the two speed vs single speed advantages will depend on your track. We ran a local club race with electric only. Three of the DM-1 spec cars were running single speed center diffs with 500K fluid. If you have any specific electric questions let me direct you to the Tekno Q&A thread set up on another forum. If you register there use my id = riceman as your referrer.

Okay sorry about the electric hijack - now we can get back to nitro talk- Just trying to get a brother pointed in the right direction.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by MikaR
What do you think - should you guys open a separate thread for e-conversions to the "other side" (i.e. electric cars) ?

Actually it saids GT class--buggy-based on road. I don't care either way, I have both cars, so do you...
Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Brushless are cool with us!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR

Mika,

Like WilliamW said, I don't think most of us care if electric GT conversions are discussed on this thread. They are still GT cars and any helpful talk/shared information on this thread is helpful to others. If the electric guys start a new thread just for them, that is fine also; just keep the good info and pics coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.