Midwest Series '08' 39th year!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midwest Series '08' 39th year!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

When Touring cars used to run much slower lap times then 1/8th Open there was a need to have separate practice sessions. Now a day’s there is very little difference, and usually only on a long straight-away. I think the racers we have all know how do deal with the 2 classes practicing at the same time. And while I’m not completely opposed to separate practice times when the conditions merit it, such as all day practice sessions at large events, limiting track time to a class every other 15, 20 or 30 minutes decreases practice time for everyone. Last year the Touring car attendance was from a low of 11 to a high of 30. So for example if you open the track only for touring cars for any length of time, 10, 15, 20 minutes, the chance of the track only having less then 4 or 5 cars on it at any one time is really quite large. That seems like a lot of wasted track. However, if the GT class is much slower they might require something different.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree that the modern touring cars are running lap times so close to 1/8th cars that separate practice sessions are not needed based on that difference. It would make more sense to control practice based on 'skill' regardless of the class of car, but that's nearly impossible to do.

The GT cars will be slower, and beginner-prone, and therefore might benefit quite a bit from a separate practice time.

However, keep in mind that at least those cars are big, so they are relatively easy to spot in one's peripheral vision going slow down the back straight, so high-speed collisions are not too difficult to avoid.

Does anyone else care to weigh in on the idea of running the GT cars 'backwards' on the track compared to the rest of the cars? I think it would add another level of fun to that class, especially for the regular TC and 1/8th drivers who might get a kick out of trying out their favorite tracks in the opposite direction as well as with a totally different type of car.

Of course, this would fit in well with the idea of running practice for the GT cars separate from the rest of the cars. I'm thinking that just 10 minutes out of every hour of practice dedicated to the GT cars would be enough, unless the attendance of that class warrants more time.

But whatever Ron decides on I'm fine with.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Heat board would not be set-up when practice starts. We will have to seperate car types and give each a certain amount of track time, at least ten minutes for each type.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

We will be running counterclockwise on at least one venue this season. However, all classes will be running the same direction at each race.
While the top drivers in 1/10 are running laps pretty close to 1/8, there are a lot of guys pretty far off that pace. The biggest problems occur when some of the faster guys in 1/8 have already been on the track, and are begining to lay down hot laps, other 1/10 racers throw down for their first run and are taking it easy. The difference is tremendous between these cars.
We have racers of very different skill levels in each class, obviously we cannot seperate on that basis & by class distinctions as well.
If we have 1 hr of open practice followed by 3 hrs of class/controlled practice, that should provide everyone with plenty of track time. Say, 10 minutes for each of the 3 classes. That's 2 runs per hour for each class. That's a potential of 6 runs during the controlled time + the time during open practice.
How does that sound?
If we see much un-used track time, I would have to re-think the whole idea. If this is to work, everyone will have to try and be ready for their practice slots. It would be somewhat agravating to be waiting to practice and looking at an empty track.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Regular

An idea to consider is attendance. If there are 40 1/8th cars, 10 GT cars, and 20 Touring cars, then the practice session per class needs to be different and not the same. Think about it, if there are more 1/8th cars and only have 10 minutes, it would be hectic. In that case it should be for example: 30 minutes for 1/8th, 20 minutes for touring, and maybe 10 minutes for GT.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Good point Brian!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Inferno GT

Inferno GT Class Questions.

Just got mine this week and broke in the motor. Is there any type of definate list of rules for my class. i have seen many options thoughts and ideas but nothing truley definative.

I am a true noooooob. so any info would help. Also i have heard rumors of the breakout lap being so low that anyone could theoretically run. is this also true? kind of puts a twist in the NEW BLOOD senario. Just my 2 cents.

I also have 2 more friends that got theirs this week and broke em in with me today. They and i would asume many others are wondering about this class. and what to expect on day one lol.

Any and all info would be greatly accepted.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

i couldnt help but notice that counterclockwise claim in there, does that mean every class is running the wrong way at a race? and if so what venue will that be at if you could disclose that. thanks hope everyones well and sick of winter! i sure am!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EvolvaRacer20
i couldnt help but notice that counterclockwise claim in there, does that mean every class is running the wrong way at a race? and if so what venue will that be at if you could disclose that. thanks hope everyones well and sick of winter! i sure am!
Maybe Ron meant counter clockwise for just the GT class. I could be wrong though.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

There is a common misconception that clockwise is the '
mandated' direction for roadcourse racing. This is not true in full scale, or RC racing. It is more common to go clockwise, but not required. There are one or two circuits that go counterclockwise on the F1 schedule and I believe the last 1/8 IFMAR Worlds did as well. ROAR asks that 'counterclockwise' be stipulated in the race flyer, if it is implemented. I think it would be fun to run one of our venues in that direction. It might reduce 'homecourt advantage' a bit and just add some variety.
We will not be running one direction for one class and the other for a different class. All classes will go the same direction at each event.
'Breakout' times will not be imployed. It would be too difficult determining what time should be used at the various sites. It might work OK for one location with a permanent layout, but gets complicated for the Series. I will try to get the Official Rules posted within a day or two.
If you have a Kyosho IGT or OFNA GTP, there is not much you could do to make it illegal. There will be some engine restrictions and a rubber tire rule.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I just recommend that we give the IGT class every benefit as possible for practice. This class may have some newbi's; but that may only occur at the club level not MWS level.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

its fine i understand that we can run which ever direction, i was just lookin for clarification. and can you say which track is goin to run that direction or no, i think it boils down to one of the parking lot tracks. toledo and cinci are designed to run one way, dont know about liesure hours cuz ive never seen it, and i believe we (morr) are going to run the same layout as last year so is it safe to say chicago or racine will run the opposite direction?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Inferno Gt

Well i went out for my first time to see the track at Joyce Park and i have to say that my experience with on road track racing is limited. But i just wanted to say WOW, that track is awesome looking.

Intimidating might be another word also for one who has never seen such a track. To be able to aquire a car for less than $400.00 that goes 53.2MPH out of the box and be a possible competitor on a track like this youd have to be an idiot not to come out and play.

I had that much tied up in chargers and dischargers for 1/10th electric. Here you get to play outside with a car all day on a track that would seem to make one feel like a real racer with a real looking race car.

Not even a member yet but feel obligated to make the sales pitch for anyone that has ever thought about running nitro but didn't because of Money, Competition, or rummors.

I believe ROAR, MWS, and Joyce Park have literally taken a huge step here in allowing new people to come play without the large large intimidation factor.

Congrats to the organizations listed above and others. I just hope the rules continue to keep new people happy and comming back. That is what this class is all about, please don't forget that.

Who knows the Inferno GT guys could be your competition next year LOL.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Default Inferno GT

Well i spoke earlier about 2 others, well it is now up to 4 others that own the cars and plan on racing at joyce. THat makes 5 new racers before the season even starts with people who never have owned a nitro onroad racer.

Working on another. I wish selling landscape projects were this easy lol.

I will tell you what seems to make the final sale is that the class is very basic and "OUT OF THE BOX RACING"

Most of these people have started another RC class only to find they had to dump $100's and $100's (more like $1000) more to be competitive in the class they chose. Please try to remember this as the year comes to a start.

I would assume 1/2 quit because of money and the other half quit due to lack of skill and patients, well you took half the equation out with the IGT class so keeping half of something is better than half of nothing.

Thanks for creating a place for the "New Guys and Gals"
Old 03-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default Counterclockwise Racing

Please let us know ahead of time which track you choose to do this on. I want to make sure that this is one of my dropped races. I believe this is a recipe for broken parts and cars. Many of the permanent tracks and boards are set-up for clockwise racing. Catch a board the wrong way, and you will leave one side of the car on the board that sticks out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.