Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midwest Series '08' 39th year!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Default Midwest Series '08' 39th year!

Welcome to the thread for discussion of what's to come for the Midwest Series!
For those that are unfamiliar with the MWS, it is the longest running (so I am told) r/c racing series in the world!
It takes place in the Great Lakes area and is dedicated to the racing of nitro powered on-road cars. For more detailed information on the format, please visit; www.midwestseries.com
As the new director, I will have to establish the schedule (among other things). On that note; as of now we have 6 tentative locations for next year. A vacancy left by Detroits' withdrawl, will be filled by Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet, IL. That leaves; Toledo, Cinci, Mentor, Racine and Chicago. That's 3 permanent tracks and 3 parking lot tracks. I still need to hear from all the potential hosts to determine their willingness to host for '08'. At this time, I have had contact with Toledo and Joliet. I will contact all the other club or track officials as soon as I get the contact information from Mark(no rush Mark). In the meantime, if any club officials in question are seeing this, you can e-mail me to get the ball rolling. This may seem a little soon to worry about next years schedule, but with RC racing being down a bit, I want to do everything possible to get our schedule set with few or NO confilicts. The fact that racing is down in attendance(nationwide), puts more importance on scheduling and promoting.
Good luck to all in your wintertime activities! If you are in to racing micros, stop by if you are in the area!

Ron Trobaugh
midwest series director
[email protected]
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Ron, thanks very much for taking on the responsibility of MWS Director!

The Ontario 1/8 On Road Racing will be holding the 2008 Can-Am Challenge on May 24-25 and the 2008 Gas Nationals on June 28-29. It would be great to have these 2 weekends taken into consideration when the 2008 MWS schedule is developed. The Capital Classic is another event that should be taken into account.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

One thing I must decide is; whether or not to replace the outgoing outlaw class.
Some things that COULD be done, include; Do nothing..,
institute a masters class for 1/10 tc, spec F-180 class, then there is the one that I like---the Kyosho Spada (1/12 4wd nitro pan car) unfortunately Kyosho USA isn't importing it(so much for that idea). A 1/8 GT class(1/8 buggy based) could also be considered.
Please post here if you have any interest in running one of these classes. I have no interest in running a bunch of new classes, but I would consider adding a class if it holds some promise of increased attendance.
The GT class could bring in some people. They are cheaper, durable and familiar in set-up to someone transitioning from off-road. There are offerings from Kyosho, OFNA, and Hot Bodies (perhaps others that don't imediately come to mind).
Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by duneland
One thing I must decide is; whether or not to replace the outgoing outlaw class.
Some things that COULD be done, include; Do nothing..,
institute a masters class for 1/10 tc, spec F-180 class, then there is the one that I like---the Kyosho Spada (1/12 4wd nitro pan car) unfortunately Kyosho USA isn't importing it(so much for that idea). A 1/8 GT class(1/8 buggy based) could also be considered.
Please post here if you have any interest in running one of these classes. I have no interest in running a bunch of new classes, but I would consider adding a class if it holds some promise of increased attendance.
The GT class could bring in some people. They are cheaper, durable and familiar in set-up to someone transitioning from off-road. There are offerings from Kyosho, OFNA, and Hot Bodies (perhaps others that don't imediately come to mind).
I know that I'm not part of the MWS. But I do think it would b a good idea 2 get the GT class going.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'd be up for an "old pharts" class in TC. Although I do like the current format because of time constraints. More classes = more heats(time). I LOVE racing /travelling to the MWS races, but I also like getting home at a decent time Sun. night.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

Team Carnage, with current program adding a "Masters" class to TC shouldn't create any changes.. In 1/8th, Masters and Open run together based on lap times... Then at the end of the day points are tallied by differing finishing positions. Same number of heats etc.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default MWS

I will be changing from electric to gas next year.I have to travel to far to race anywhere.I will be racing the MWS being LHH is only 35 minutes for me.Ron cograts on your new position as MWS director i think you will do an awesome job.JOHN MULLEN
Old 09-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Darin- I see now what you mean about a TC masters class being like the 1/8th masters racing. Running all the cars together and then separating the 2 divisions. I was thinking about making the Masters a seperate race altogether, which would add to the timetable. Nick A.

John- You'll have a blast running this series! You'll also want to run the Byrons Race at Leisure. I'm assuming it'll be there next year.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

At this point, I am inclined to initiate a Masters class for 1/10 tc. I can't see a down side to it. I don't believe there are as many 'old farts' running tc but, with the demise of 'outlaw', that will likely change.
Discussing the GT class here, may not be to meaningfull, since the whole idea of possibly adding that class is to attract more people to the series, and most reading this are allready involved. Okay, that was a poorly constructed sentence, but you get the idea.
I will start a couple more threads in the on & off-road forums, to try and gage the level of interest.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

I personally don't see a need to add another class. Most of the guys running Outlaw were doing it as a second class. When you look at it, only 1 or 2 guys raced Outlaw only and one of them was a 200mm car which can run in 200mm now with a touring body. Hopfully something can be created, but in reality it won't pan out. I've seen it and been around enough to see it won't work. Sorry but thats my thoughts.

The only possibility could be the F1 cars, but then how many want to dump close to $1,000 to get those going. I don't see that many. They are fun to drive but it definately needs to grow and I think the MWS should wait one antoher year before introducing it in 2008.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Brian,
I tend to agree with regard to the F1 class. The GT class however, offers the possibillity of bringing new people to the MWS, as opposed to a 2nd class for current participants. I will wait & see if there is sufficient interest before including it. Another class is not needed, but if there is enough interest, it would be a good thing. BTW, there is no need to apologize for offereing your opinion. It is allways welcome.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

At this point, I am inclined to initiate a Masters class for 1/10 tc. I can't see a down side to it. I don't believe there are as many 'old farts' running tc but, with the demise of 'outlaw', that will likely change.
Discussing the GT class here, may not be to meaningfull, since the whole idea of possibly adding that class is to attract more people to the series, and most reading this are allready involved. Okay, that was a poorly constructed sentence, but you get the idea.
I will start a couple more threads in the on & off-road forums, to try and gage the level of interest.
As one of the "Old Guys" it seems to me it can't hurt a thing by having a Master Class for 1/10th. Personally I know I don't have a chance to compete with the young guys so the Master Class at least gives us old farts a chance to compete on equal ground.

Actually I think it would be much nicer if we had our own heats which wouldn't add any extra time if we had a full heat of master guys. Notice I said full heat or two. It sure isn't a big deal just a thought.

Ted
Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Brian,
I tend to agree with regard to the F1 class. The GT class however, offers the possibillity of bringing new people to the MWS, as opposed to a 2nd class for current participants. I will wait & see if there is sufficient interest before including it. Another class is not needed, but if there is enough interest, it would be a good thing. BTW, there is no need to apologize for offereing your opinion. It is allways welcome.
I think dropping over $1000 is going to be a hard sell for any "new" people.
The GT class has, at the very least, two good things going for it.
#1 You have lot's and lot's of people who already have the equipment. Sure getting some offroad guys to convert might be tough but they might be willing to try it out for the cost of a set of tires and a body. Anyone who has watched 1/8th offroad knows how durable the cars are.
#2 PEOPLE COULD HAVE FUN WITH THEIR CARS AT HOME!!!! This is the most important thing of all!!!!!! How many people take their 1/8th scales out on the street or a parking lot??? I know my sedan took a heck of a beating when I made a few passes for the guys at work and I can only do doughnuts in a dusty parking lot for so long before I'm bored. GT cars would solve that issue.

How long is it before the need for more speed gets them into a sedan or 1/8th scale car?

Last edited by Andy who?; 10-01-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Work is getting in the way of posting lol
Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I agree and really we wouldn't be adding any new classes. It would be keeping the same amount of classes, since we are dropping one class and replacing it with another one.

Last edited by 1fastdude; 10-02-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Brian,
Ron,

Yeah I should have mentioned that this would probably be the better of the 2 (F1 or GT). It sounds cool but what does it consist of? A 1/8 buggy, lowered with a on road body (similar to Associated's 18th scale rally car)? Like Andy mentioned its more forgiving and can be run anywhere (pretty much). I'm not an off road guy so I don't know what they look like.

But, still a good idea, Ron.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.