Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ball-less Thrust Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof
In a ball less thrustbearing the ring with the balls will be replaced with just a ring of a low friction material. I use just brass rings 10x5 which I can get at the local harware shop but low friction ceramic rings are in order (to make)
That's a killer idea man. Any clue on where to start to find "ceramic" material for this mod? Like if it came in a round tube or something. Also, I'm no machinest nor do I have access to that type of equipment other then drill presses etc, so could you use say everyday tools to make these ceramic bearings or "washer/spacers"? No CNC stuff here. Like a dremell or what not? I understand ceramic is hard material and have never messed with the stuff personally. Thanks for the info bro.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Lord

I've got my drillpress for just 50 dollar, it a good inverstment for this hobby....

Regarding the ceramic materials, my sponsor has a 3.5cc engine in devellopment and one of the thoughts was a ceramic bushing in the conrod but that is to fragile to use so he does have some left over materials to make but has to create the time because normal production goes on.

He has contact with a ceramic supplier getting the materials.