Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th scale Motonica

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stefanmotonica
Hello Garen,

we had a clubrace on MACH Heemstede this weekend, and the car was great.
I did the black springs in front and the hard springs in rear with 700 oil.
I could do very consistant laps, had pole position and the fastest lap of the day, so i was very happy.
In the 30.min final everything went smooth until after about 20 minutes wenn my car started to act very strange.

I was in first place that moment with half a lap in front, i thought my tires where worn out, so i consolidate my second place till the end.
When i got the car back my battery pack had come loose and was sliding alongside my chassis on the track.
Seemed that the fuel solved the tape and the battery came loose.
I was still very happy with the result,second, and that the car is getting better and better with consisting laptimes.

How long does a frontbelt last?
It seems that after about 2.5 hours of racing it starts loosing teeth, is that normal, i have the tension of the frontbelt neutral.
I had to replace it twice now.

Greetz Stefan.
hey Stefan, glad to hear things are going well with the new car man. Keep up the good work and good luck to you this season.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

Originally Posted by Scottyoo
hey Stefan, glad to hear things are going well with the new car man. Keep up the good work and good luck to you this season.
Thanks Scotty, good luck to you to, hopefully all the Motonicaracers will keep this forum with lots of info about set-ups and new stuff of Motonica so we get faster and faster.

Greetz Stefan.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Hi everyone, I wish to all motonica drivers good luck too. Here is how I modified my rear floating body mount holder. Hope to useful for other motonica drivers.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-floating-body-mount.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-floating-body-mount2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by deepfree_z
Hi everyone, I wish to all motonica drivers good luck too. Here is how I modified my rear floating body mount holder. Hope to useful for other motonica drivers.
Looks very nice, altough with the new rear bodymount 2008 version, it's not needed anymore.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

has anyone else had a problem with the new body mount being to tight front to rear. i ended up useing the stock plastic one just to get by but plan on seeing what i can do with the opt one. on both cars it was like the offset was to far to the rear and rubed on the rear body support .

Thanks
Randy
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

A couple of weeks ago i had my first club race this season, i used mostly the stock setup except i used silver front springs and white rear springs. On my first qualifier i used 2mm spacers on the front upper and lower arms. the car felt good except the rear was a bit loose. so for the second qualifier i ran with 0mm spacers on the front upper arms and 2mm on the lower arms. I didn't noticed much difference but my times where slower than the first heat so i set the 2mm spacers back and adjusted the caster to try in the 3th heat the car felt better but the driver next to me blocked my view when he shouted something to his mechanic below the driver stand. So i hit the curb and the car went in the air and hit the fence. I drove back to the pit and my mechanic said the car was damaged so i stopped. When i checked the car after the heat the rear shock tower had ripped the screws out and came loose for the rest the car was fine except that the motonica badge was gone. I used some longer screws in the rear shock tower and i could race again. I placed 1st in the semi final which i won, so i started 5th in the final and finished 3rd.

Last weekend i went back to the track to try some settings and wanted to make the rear some more planted. i ended with 1mm shims at the rear upper and lower arms and set the caster more upright and tried what the different springs do, but the track didn't had much traction and was quite dusty.

@stefan, could you post the setup you used at MACH Heemstede?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Randy, can you post a photo of the problem area? I have the new 08 rear body mount on my car along with the aluminum guiding pin. I have no problems front to back or up and down. I have seen some have problems with the suspension uptravel (suspension compressed) when using really big tires- the guiding pin bottoms out in the carbon fiber piece, but you can grind the slot in the carbon fiber piece a little longer to allow more travel.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Questions??

The 2008 CAN AM CHALLENGE RC PRO Race is coming Saturday May 23rd and Sunday May 24th to the Ontario 1/8 On Road Racing Club's Asphalt Circuit in Hamilton Ontario.

Past CAN AM CHALLENGE CHAMPIONS
2004 - Mike Burr - Canada - Serpent
2005 - Brian Berry - USA - Serpent
2006 - Steve Bortolotti - Canada - Mugen
2007 - Paul Cicarello - USA - Mugen
2008 - ??????????? - ???? - ?????

Will we see a Motonica on Canadian Soil in 2008 challenging for the Win? Lots of people would like to see one in action.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by garen
Randy, can you post a photo of the problem area? I have the new 08 rear body mount on my car along with the aluminum guiding pin. I have no problems front to back or up and down. I have seen some have problems with the suspension uptravel (suspension compressed) when using really big tires- the guiding pin bottoms out in the carbon fiber piece, but you can grind the slot in the carbon fiber piece a little longer to allow more travel.
I will try to get a photo monday or so. what im talking about is where the guide pin shoulder hits the carbon fiber not the up and down movment. its like the aluminum guide pin is too far back by mabe 2 mm or so. im sure we will get it worked out. im using the plastic one now and it seems fine. we ran the cars for the first time in HOA race in Kansas City , i was very happy with all aspects of the new car. we should get a chance to run the StLouis track Saturday.
c ya
Randy
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Ice_NL;
Correct me if I am wrong, you should get lower rear traction when you reduce the shims on the upper and lower rear arms. It is quite difficult to understand for me, that you have rear traction problem with white(soft) rear and silver(hard) front springs. Maybe you have some another problem with the car. (maybe body or roll-bars). I use 07 spec car with black(medium) springs all around and need some more steering, the rear of the car is very stable.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

I guess it could also be the track conditions as it isn't used much when there are no races, so it was quite slippery. An other driver with a serpent experienced the same problems. I have a race this weekend on a different track where the car drove much better with the standard setup, the only thing i missed the last time i was there was some steering in one corner but overall the car was ok.

As for the spacers i had the idea the 1mm spacers made the car better but as i was changing them, drove few laps and if i had the impression i went better i kept the change and went on with another setting on the car. The body's that i used where parma r10 and central.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ice_nl
I guess it could also be the track conditions as it isn't used much when there are no races, so it was quite slippery. An other driver with a serpent experienced the same problems. I have a race this weekend on a different track where the car drove much better with the standard setup, the only thing i missed the last time i was there was some steering in one corner but overall the car was ok.

As for the spacers i had the idea the 1mm spacers made the car better but as i was changing them, drove few laps and if i had the impression i went better i kept the change and went on with another setting on the car. The body's that i used where parma r10 and central.
On a lo bite track you may need to run up to 4 degrees of rear toe-in, yes on both sides.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ice, try this setup as a starting point, using the R11 body mounted about 7mm's in front of the bumper. http://www.motonica-usa.com/Support/P80RWCC08.jpg

Your final setup will vary based on the tires you use and of course the track conditions. Different brand tires in the same shore yield completely different handling. 'Minor' adjustments like the rear H-Arm mounting points make a big difference too.
Your track(s) likely do not have the high bite ours do, so you might need softer tires, or less aggressive setup (softer rear bar, softer rear springs, wider front). I think the setup above is a good starting point though.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

@stefan, could you post the setup you used at MACH Heemstede?[/quote]

Hello Ice,

I'm on holiday now and i will put the set-up on RC Tech wenn i'm back
Greetz Stefan
Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 AM
Tech Adept

ok, thanks.

last weekend i ran the 1:8 Promoserie at the Rucphen track. And got the car setup really well. The practise on Saturday was wet and there where a few moments that the track was dry. Even under these track conditions the car felt really good, so i was confident i could do well on Sunday. On Sunday the track was dry and during the qualifiers i made some minor adjustments to the car. In my last qualifier round i managed to do 20 laps in 05:07.542 which was enough to start from 3th place in the final. During the final i was able to maintain my 3th place for a while until i ran out of fuel before my first pitstop, i don't know why as i didn't had any problems during the qualifiers. but after a little more than a minute i was back on the track running in 4th position. after 25 minutes in the race i ran on 2nd place and with 4 laps in front of the 3rd place car and 5 laps behind the 1st place car i came in for my last pitstop and after that i just had to finish. I am really happy with the car now, it drove very consistent over the 30 min final.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.