Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MTX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arahawak
I am lazy, 30k for almost all the tracks i ran.

But i do have a spare 20k just in case.

You are right, 50k is great for large open flowing tracks like the setup Fukuda ran in Brisbane.
You can always set up a spare diff with 50k in it and have your 30k diff.
Just a quick change for Moorebank and Brendale!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gseventeen
Weighed my MTX4r on weekend with all wheels and body (Kawa)on, car is out of box stock,only top titane screw set,== 1790.
you still have a good 60 grams you can chop of the car. you will notice the difference in acceleration and braking if you get rid of these 60 grams.

to those who think you wouldn't notice the difference, then throw an extra 60 grams on your car and run it back to back in a blind test with and without the balast, you will notice it immensely

especially if you lighten up the drivetrain.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

im glad to see my post is bringing in so much info!

what else can be done besides the shafts, ti screw kit, and ti pillow/pivot balls?

and for safe practice, should you weigh the car with bald tires? so at the end of a main, and your tires are gone, u meet the minimum?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gentleman81
im glad to see my post is bringing in so much info!

what else can be done besides the shafts, ti screw kit, and ti pillow/pivot balls?

and for safe practice, should you weigh the car with bald tires? so at the end of a main, and your tires are gone, u meet the minimum?
Not completly bald,they should be very small ,incase your weight is right on 1725if you happen to do too much sliding and take off more rubber than normal you may come in under weight.Leave your car at 1735 this should cover any unforseen loss of foam . Just my oppinion( i'm being stalked by a xray crazy and he will proberly dissagree) lol lol
Old 06-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Depends what kind of tyres you are using too!
If you set your car up using the Kawahara tyres for example, and the car is 1730.
Then you get a good price on the twister light weight rim ( or ATS) tyres and switch to them, you will need to add 15g to the car to keep above the legal weight as this set is 18g total weight saving.
So make sure that you weigh the car with the tyre type you are going to use & if you change, check the new tyre weight!!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

damn great info!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

any tips for getting more mid corner steering? my car turns in great under brakes and exits corners well but I find it pushes when off throttle. Thinking castor/roll centre might be the next change. I tried adding another 1mm under the front upper arms but this didnt make it any better
Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigM
any tips for getting more mid corner steering? my car turns in great under brakes and exits corners well but I find it pushes when off throttle. Thinking castor/roll centre might be the next change. I tried adding another 1mm under the front upper arms but this didnt make it any better
Try one or two of the following :

-- 2 holes piston damper at front, 1 hole piston damper at rear <---- this is my second try

-- lower shore at front tires, eg. 37 front, 40 rear <---- this is my first try

-- one grade softer spring at front, eg. purple spring at front, light blue spring at rear.

-- less downstop value for rear tires, eg. 3, instead of 5 ( 5 is the original downstop value based on factory setup ).

-- shortened wheelbase by 2mm by shaving rear lower suspension. <--- my 3rd try.

Don't change caster and roll center, coz it's gonna make different handling feeling, ...... possibly change the way you drive the car.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by asw7576
Try one or two of the following :

-- 2 holes piston damper at front, 1 hole piston damper at rear <---- this is my second try

-- lower shore at front tires, eg. 37 front, 40 rear <---- this is my first try

-- one grade softer spring at front, eg. purple spring at front, light blue spring at rear.

-- less downstop value for rear tires, eg. 3, instead of 5 ( 5 is the original downstop value based on factory setup ).

-- shortened wheelbase by 2mm by shaving rear lower suspension. <--- my 3rd try.

Don't change caster and roll center, coz it's gonna make different handling feeling, ...... possibly change the way you drive the car.
I was running 40/42, a ackerman, and purple front/light blue rear so I'm left with the geometry. I regularly change roll centres with my electric so I'm not to fazed about playing around with it. Might try putting the rear sway at 45deg first as I was running them both

oh and the way I drive is fine - I won the amain on Sunday
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

what pulley and split are you running?

what front setup? diff/oneway/spool

what rear diff oil?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayL
what pulley and split are you running?

what front setup? diff/oneway/spool

what rear diff oil?
kit pulleys, spool, 30k diff. Track is tight and med-to-low grip but quite abrasive hence the 42 shore rears. Also running 50wt oil front rear with stock pistons drilled out to 1.2mm. As I mentioned the car is very quick and handles nicely but I do notice I'm scrubbing a bit of speed off mid corner so just want to make a subtle change to get a bit more grip here.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

if anyone has a mtx4 or 4r with engine and pipe they would want to sell pm me
Old 06-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Are you running the box setup? If so I always struggled with mid corner steering with the stock setup. I tried all the above advice and they all helped but not enough. The RRR's would whoop my ass in the corners. I checked other car's setup sheets and they all ran higher roll centers (pins up) in the rear so I tried it and the car feels great. If you haven't tried give it a shot.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
Are you running the box setup? If so I always struggled with mid corner steering with the stock setup. I tried all the above advice and they all helped but not enough. The RRR's would whoop my ass in the corners. I checked other car's setup sheets and they all ran higher roll centers (pins up) in the rear so I tried it and the car feels great. If you haven't tried give it a shot.
I'm running middle front/low rear so slight antisquat. I'll drop one hole on the inner camber mount point and give it a go. tx
Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
I tried the rear hinge pins in the upper position and the car worked better at my track. Doesen't a front diff help in the middle of the corner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.