Wiki Posts
Search

sts engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Default Engine discussions

Guys;

I should have noted that almost all of our racing is done on small to medium parking lot tracks.

Dino.tw;

I honestly didn't expect the STS MT12 to be a rocket, but I surely expected it to be alot faster than the HPI .15FE that he was racing with previously. I have driven both cars many times so I know all too well. ALL of our engines are 3 port NON-Turbos, some Rear some Side Exhaust. So this is what I am comparing to.

The person that I bought the STS from is a good Friend and I trust his word (used for one race). He let me pull the head to check the piston and sleeve before I bought it, and He did tell me that he thought the engine was "not FAST enough", but this was running it on a large permanent track, and I figured it would be great for my Son's new Reflex NT on the parking lot tracks that we normally race on.

Guys;

ANYWAYS, the engine is decent now that I've raised the compression so we'll be sticking with it for a while.

NOTE: When I first posted my comments, I really didn't expect so much controversy, nor would I expect someone to make Childish comments about Myself an my Son, without ever knowing us personally. I was just trying to find out if anyone else had the same feelings about their STS_MT12 engine and if they had done anything to improve it.

Thanks again for all of the positive comments and opinions.

popsracer,

And I appologise in advance, if any of my statements in this post have offended someone. (guess I better make this my signature from now on)

Last edited by popsracer; 03-14-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

I agree, it was wrong of somebody to talk about ya son like that. And atleast you handled it great pops. Nuff said end of story.

Any of you ever tried the STS .12 one peice touring car pipe(item #1020)? I have one coming within the next few days and i cant wait. I am currently using a beat up CVEC pipe which works great. I hope it adds a little more mid end, cuz i really like a strong mid power range. Ill post some pics when i get it on my nrs4.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Talking Pipes (R/C Car pipes!!)

I have tried many different Pipes over the years for various different reasons. My current favorite is the ROAR Novarossi 2-pc Pipe and a Trinity Picco rear exhaust Header (Big i.d.)
The Newer Associated RC10GT RTR pipe has a nice wide power band, compared to the older pipes that were mostly bottom end power.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

I dont really need all out performance seeing how i only bash. Besides my cvec, the MIP t-maxx stinger and trinity pipe(blue one) is the only ones i tried. CVEC was more powerful then the trinity by a good bit. I tried strait exaust but for obvious reason....total disaster. I didnt know about the backpresure stuff.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Dino,
As always, many thanks! Look forward to seeing, and running the new .21 when it is ready.
Take care,
Smitty
Old 03-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Engine discussions

you should not be making such statements comparing the performance of a second hand engine in the very first place like if it's new and it's very lousy.
You don't know what happened to the second hand STS engine that you bought (any engine in that matter), there are many factors that's contributing to the fact that it's slow. these are FACTS.
It's like we listened to so much comments from you about how you FIXED it and it's better now. and your impression that these engines are not very fast anyway. . .
Get a brand new engine to compare and comment next time it's NOT FAIR.
Get a new engine for your kid if he's really that good in the first place. *YOU ARE* the one letting down your kid.

ed

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

I should have noted that almost all of our racing is done on small to medium parking lot tracks.

Dino.tw;

I honestly didn't expect the STS MT12 to be a rocket, but I surely expected it to be alot faster than the HPI .15FE that he was racing with previously. I have driven both cars many times so I know all too well. ALL of our engines are 3 port NON-Turbos, some Rear some Side Exhaust. So this is what I am comparing to.

The person that I bought the STS from is a good Friend and I trust his word (used for one race). He let me pull the head to check the piston and sleeve before I bought it, and He did tell me that he thought the engine was "not FAST enough", but this was running it on a large permanent track, and I figured it would be great for my Son's new Reflex NT on the parking lot tracks that we normally race on.

Guys;

ANYWAYS, the engine is decent now that I've raised the compression so we'll be sticking with it for a while.

NOTE: When I first posted my comments, I really didn't expect so much controversy, nor would I expect someone to make Childish comments about Myself an my Son, without ever knowing us personally. I was just trying to find out if anyone else had the same feelings about their STS_MT12 engine and if they had done anything to improve it.

Thanks again for all of the positive comments and opinions.

popsracer,

And I appologise in advance, if any of my statements in this post have offended someone. (guess I better make this my signature from now on)
Old 03-15-2003, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Default racerchan;

Old 03-16-2003, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by racerchan
you should not be making such statements comparing the performance of a second hand engine in the very first place like if it's new and it's very lousy.
You don't know what happened to the second hand STS engine that you bought (any engine in that matter), there are many factors that's contributing to the fact that it's slow. these are FACTS.
It's like we listened to so much comments from you about how you FIXED it and it's better now. and your impression that these engines are not very fast anyway. . .
Get a brand new engine to compare and comment next time it's NOT FAIR.
Get a new engine for your kid if he's really that good in the first place. *YOU ARE* the one letting down your kid.

ed
Geeez, racerchan,
Whats the problem here?

Popsracer's trusted friend said the engine was "not FAST enough"
Popsracer said "this Engine is SLOW"
You say "it's a crap engine" (and haven't even used one)

It looks like everyone is in agreement here . . . doesn't it?
Get over it, eh. Have a cup of tea and a good lie down.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
well i agree with this.

i run a s3 and a rs3. the rs3 as unfortunate as it is to say this DOESN'T have the top end that my s3 has. it is great for anything else except all out speed. good low end.

but still, good effort for a taiwanese company. if they can get thier next engines to be cnc machined, and the quality of the alloy to nova's specs (i'm guessing the top end problem is with expanding alloys) then they will be good.

i race on the track that was used for the 2001 worlds though. it is a very large track. for most bashers and small tracks you won't notice the top end difference.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
well i agree with this.

i run a s3 and a rs3. the rs3 as unfortunate as it is to say this DOESN'T have the top end that my s3 has. it is great for anything else except all out speed. good low end.

but still, good effort for a taiwanese company. if they can get thier next engines to be cnc machined, and the quality of the alloy to nova's specs (i'm guessing the top end problem is with expanding alloys) then they will be good.

i race on the track that was used for the 2001 worlds though. it is a very large track. for most bashers and small tracks you won't notice the top end difference.

Ahhh . . drat. I was hoping it would be "good enough" just for club days at Lilydale - also an 1/8th scale track.

So, Tomas, what's the go in Sydney Town regarding "decent" engines.
The S3's seem to be pretty good with some concerns over longevity, down here.
Kickass was running a "dremeled" Collari that seemed to get some good comment, wasn't he? I've only seen one Collari, here, and in standard form, it didn't look anything to write home about.
I notice Black Knight is waiting for a 03 Fantom, while reading some Sydney posts. He doesn't seem like a bloke that would pick a dud - or is it just free.
The Pixie's seem to be a bit inconsistant. Some scream - some don't. Though the agent here says that is all fixed now.

Our JP is getting out-gunned a bit these days, though it was good enough to win the A final today, strapped into one of the oldest V-one-R's in the country - not even an RR.

BTW: "mugen brainwashing complete"
Old 03-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Our JP is getting out-gunned a bit these days, though it was good enough to win the A final today, strapped into one of the oldest V-one-R's in the country - not even an RR.
Here at Spain, JP (S3 versions) are being constantly spanked by other killers.... Basically RB 'Rody' and Novarossi 'dremeled' S3 versions.

Is a engine that shows their age (don't forget that has been in the market for two years). What spanked competition yesterday, tasted their own medicine and don't likes it.

Some rumours say that JP Calandreau will release the 2003 version of their modified just in time for the Vila Real 200mm Touring Euros (In few words: their engines are illegal under strict EFRA rules).

For not being completely off-topic. Wanting to order an S3 engine, where on Europe I can find a on-line shop to order them?. What about spares?
Old 03-16-2003, 07:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Geeez, racerchan,
Whats the problem here?

You say "it's a crap engine" (and haven't even used one)

It looks like everyone is in agreement here . . . doesn't it?
Get over it, eh. Have a cup of tea and a good lie down.
looks like you are the blind supporter here. you worship pops and not the facts.
"the engine is slow" - pops should not be comparing a second hand engine in the first place. it's just not fair. can you buy a second hand engine and start comparing it with others and give your comment that even it's too slow for your 8 yr old boy. Is that fair comment ? It's misleading as well as unfair.
crap engine I am comparing it to the RS3 and RS5 which showed they are well worth the money for it's speed and durability.
glad that you understand that finally everybody's in agreement here.

I am just hoping the poor 8 yr old little guy doesn't remember this incident and buy pops a second hand walking stick or wheelchair when pops grows much older.

ed
Old 03-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs down Racerchan;

Old 03-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine discussions

Originally posted by racerchan
looks like you are the blind supporter here. you worship pops and not the facts.
"the engine is slow" - pops should not be comparing a second hand engine in the first place. it's just not fair. can you buy a second hand engine and start comparing it with others and give your comment that even it's too slow for your 8 yr old boy. Is that fair comment ? It's misleading as well as unfair.
crap engine I am comparing it to the RS3 and RS5 which showed they are well worth the money for it's speed and durability.
glad that you understand that finally everybody's in agreement here.

I am just hoping the poor 8 yr old little guy doesn't remember this incident and buy pops a second hand walking stick or wheelchair when pops grows much older.

ed
I think you need to go back and start re-reading this thread. Popsracer stated that the STS engine had only done 1 race so to me a break in and one race would suggest the engine is fairly new . I would also say that the other engines he referred it against are a lot older than this.
And whats with the snide remarks between him and his son? Frankly, I dont think you have any cause to make any statements concerning the condition of Pops private family life as it doesnt concern you.

And if you would care to take the time to read the thread you would see that the engine is going a lot better now that the head was raised
Old 03-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default A picture of my Son

Here is a Picture of my Son Michael at a race track, with his Tamiya TL01. This is from the winter of 99' He is now 8 yrs old and has just recently moved up from racing an HPI Nitro-2, to a Trinity Reflex NT (with the STS_MT12).
Nowhere near as good as a Driver as 'Smitty's' daughter is, but hopefully in a few more years, he'll be kicking my butt at the track.
Also we're NOT Poor and Michael's NOT so little anymore.

Thanks again to my online Friends for their support.
Attached Thumbnails sts engine-michael-winter-99.jpg  

Last edited by popsracer; 03-16-2003 at 10:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.