Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sts engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Pops,
When you changed the head button, did you use one for the MT-12 or the RS3? They are slightly different buttons and this may be why it ran better when you raised the compression. Just a thought!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sts mt12 engine

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
racerchan,

First you say it's a crap engine.
Then you say you've never used one.
Then you say Pop's should be fair.

Doesn't this strike you as rather hypocritical?

Pop's is just trying to get to the bottom of his problem. I've read lots of his posts (he is rather prolific ) and he always comes across as fair.
I still say it's a crap engine as I have mentioned it's a LOW END engine of STS not like the RS3 or RS5.
yes I have never used one.
rather hypocritical - no.

I don't need to use one to comment on his posts.
first he mentioned and confirmed that the engine sucks and even his 8yr old thinks it's too slow.
then after that he said that actually it leaked a little and maybe the bearings. (see here he gives a little more about abnormalities).
then he went on saying that it was actually carb leaking a little. . see more stories coming out.
and when someone like me poked his backside, he went on to say that it's actually nothing to do with the leakage of the carb that's causing the performance drop, it's something else (talk like he's a pro).

proper racer(s) should do proper maintenance of his gears before commenting as though it's all the engines fault and not himself.

if you have not seen STS engine runs, go see one today, the blue head STS is a very fast engine. that's why I said - go look at other people's posts regarding this engine - they are all satisfied customers.

Pops may be a nice guy written alot of good posts here I agree but the events on this thread proved that his comments are misleading.

if his kid can't even handle the STS blue heatsink, ask him to drive properly and his father take good care of his equipment. It's that simple.
spend more time with maintenance and less rctech.net talking nonsense.

ed
Old 03-12-2003, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sts mt12 engine

Originally posted by racerchan
if his kid can't even handle the STS blue heatsink, ask him to drive properly and his father take good care of his equipment. It's that simple.

ed
From what I gather Pops kid is complaining that the engine was too slow which to me would suggest that he is more than capable of handling the engine and a lot more.

Pops has mentioned that raisint the compression helped the engine so that to me would suggest that the slight leak from the carb has nothing to do with the problem. My RB carb has a lot of oil coming out of it at the rubber seal. The reason for that is running a little rich.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default sts engine;

ronin8451;

The local Hobbyshop owner called RD Logics (the Distributor) and they said that the MT12 Head button was the correct button for the STS- MT12.
I never ran the engine with the turbo plug (no experience with them).

Anyway, The Turbo Button is up for grabs (FREE) if someone will send a Pre-Paid Padded Mailer to me for shipping.

Again, thanks to all.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sts mt12 engine

Originally posted by modellor
From what I gather Pops kid is complaining that the engine was too slow which to me would suggest that he is more than capable of handling the engine and a lot more.
Oh. From his previous post, he is contradicting himself in only one single post! In the same post, it shows that this guy lack the experience in tuning engine.

I still say it's a crap engine as I have mentioned it's a LOW END engine of STS not like the RS3 or RS5.
if you have not seen STS engine runs, go see one today, the blue head STS is a very fast engine.
ed
............ he went on to say that it's actually nothing to do with the leakage of the carb that's causing the performance drop, it's something else ............

Last edited by Wolf; 03-12-2003 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default Engines, engines, and more engines

Guys;

Most of the post suggests that you guys are really happy with the RS3 and RS5 versions of these engines.

What REALLY surprised me was the performance of this Fantom that I recently purchaced. This is a Side Exhaust .15 (for my Super Nitro) has GOBS of Power and I'm having a hard time getting the Head temp above 200_F without being too lean. (the Cooling Head is very big)
This make me curious about the New Rear Exhaust .12's that Fantom has for 2003. And Fantoms are supposed to a cheapee engines. I may just buy one as a back-up engine for the Kid's car.

I am going to build another car fairly soon, for our local Permanent On-road track and I will be needing a VERY fast engine to keep up the pace, so everything is an option, even an STS_RS3 or RS5. The Sirio's seem to be doing rather well, but I'm a little leary of the AAC contruction in the outlaw versions.

And I appologise in advance, if any of my statements in this post have offended someone. (guess I better make this my signature from now on)
Old 03-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sts mt12 engine

yes I have never used one.
rather hypocritical - no.
You seem to have missed my point:

You denigrate Pop's for complaining, then calmly declare the engine to be crap and then admit that you have never used one.
We call that hypocritical where I come from.

I don't need to use one to comment on his posts.
Given your previous assersions, it might help your credability.

first he mentioned and confirmed that the engine sucks and even his 8yr old thinks it's too slow.
then after that he said that actually it leaked a little and maybe the bearings. (see here he gives a little more about abnormalities).
then he went on saying that it was actually carb leaking a little. . see more stories coming out.
and when someone like me poked his backside, he went on to say that it's actually nothing to do with the leakage of the carb that's causing the performance drop, it's something else (talk like he's a pro).
Well, I think you will find he was working through the problem and at the same time answering questions from others that were willing to help.
"talk like he's a pro" . . . well he's handling your comments like a pro.

proper racer(s) should do proper maintenance of his gears before commenting as though it's all the engines fault and not himself.
I suggest Pops's posts show that he does indeed consider the maintenance aspects since he replaced the slide boot.

if you have not seen STS engine runs, go see one today, the blue head STS is a very fast engine. that's why I said - go look at other people's posts regarding this engine - they are all satisfied customers.
Pop's isn't satisfied.
Yes, I've seen one run. Comparisons are always relative. To "me" it seems like a good engine for the money, but "I" wouldn't put it in the "very fast" catagory.

Pops may be a nice guy written alot of good posts here I agree but the events on this thread proved that his comments are misleading.
I suggest you have misread the content and the intent of his posts.

ed

Again, I suggest you have misread his posts. He clearly says that the engine was too slow for his son, not too fast. I get the same complaints from my son.

Cheers from the official Popsracer fan club.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have no comment on that my friend..
Old 03-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default Damn...

All I know is that there are a whole lot of RE's in this thread!
Old 03-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Engines, engines, and more engines

Originally posted by popsracer

<SNIP>
This make me curious about the New Rear Exhaust .12's that Fantom has for 2003. And Fantoms are supposed to a cheapee engines. I may just buy one as a back-up engine for the Kid's car.
<SNIP>
Yes, the Fantom RE.12 (03) engine seems to be well spoken of.
I'd be interested to hear a comparison between the Fantom and a STS RS3.

I wonder if they would be sufficiently competative for "normal" club race meetings.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

One of the better drivers at our track has the new rear exh. Fantom 12 in his nitro TC3 and it runs extremely well. The track is fairly tight so the better low end torque of this motor is helping him out tremendously, the engine is very smooth like an O.S.. I'm sure that his skills in driving play a large part in how well he finishes, but the Fantom keeps it's own down the straight and only gives up a couple of feet to my X-12 RB (then he out drives me into the infield...LOL!). It actually looks like a good copy of the O.S. TR12, with a hint of H.P.I. (identical carb to 15SS slide from HPI).
Old 03-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Engines, engines, and more engines

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Yes, the Fantom RE.12 (03) engine seems to be well spoken of.
I'd be interested to hear a comparison between the Fantom and a STS RS3.

I wonder if they would be sufficiently competative for "normal" club race meetings.
Hopefully we'll find out soon Gav, waiting on an STS shipment soon.

DC
Old 03-14-2003, 12:38 AM
Nitro Tech

Smile

Dear Pops,

In my opinion,anyone have the right to comment on waht he like,what he dosen't like.That's ok!

You will not compare with NOVA C12 and S5,then say the C12 is a slow engine?Even your son complained about it not being fast enough?!

Of couser your Son will say that,because his Dad runs a "New" ".15" but give him a "Second Hand" ".12" "MIT" engine.Haha....It's joke!

Maybe you should give him softer tires,and adjusting the gear ratio/clutch timing for him.You should tell your Young Racer that "You have to win me by your skill!Not depend on the engine power!" ...If I have a son,I'll tell him that!

If you always tell your son that it's a crap engine,I guess you have to spend some money to buy a new engine for your son before long.He may kill this motor when you don't see.

What basic essential factors of a GOOD engine are:easy to adjust;won't easy to flames out;stable idle;running out all the fuel of the tank....even a newbie can easy to handle the engine without many experience.I wish all of STS12 have those various basic factors.

I remember when I was a newbie,I always said that:Running out all the fuel of the tank is one kind of HAPPINESS!Haha....

Most powerful engines are not so easy to adjust.You must know that!If you say that the STS12 is hard to adjust or having unstable idle,that's my problem.But if you say that the STS12 isn't as fast as TOP-LEVEL engines,what should i say?

IMO,every engine has its soul.If you love it,it will do its best to service for you till die.If you dislike it......

Regards,
Dino

My Dear friend,Smitty,

The production of .21 was delayed due to we want to make it better.It may comes out at May.Now we are busy with the NEW .12 production.The next month you will see them.

Regards,
Dino

Last edited by dino.tw; 03-14-2003 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:47 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Engines, engines, and more engines

Originally posted by OZDC
Hopefully we'll find out soon Gav, waiting on an STS shipment soon.

DC
Hmm, OK.

Presumably you'll try the RS3?
If you need someone to test the RS5, you know where I am.

We've discussed this before . . it's just that so many people have been breaking engines lately (including us) that a decently competative unit at reasonable $$ might be a worthwhile investment for club days - essentially, something with more top end than an OS TR.

Wishfull thinking, maybe.

I trust you have the babysitter organised for Sunday.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ronin8451
One of the better drivers at our track has the new rear exh. Fantom 12 in his nitro TC3 and it runs extremely well. The track is fairly tight so the better low end torque of this motor is helping him out tremendously, the engine is very smooth like an O.S.. I'm sure that his skills in driving play a large part in how well he finishes, but the Fantom keeps it's own down the straight and only gives up a couple of feet to my X-12 RB (then he out drives me into the infield...LOL!). It actually looks like a good copy of the O.S. TR12, with a hint of H.P.I. (identical carb to 15SS slide from HPI).
Thanks ronin8451,

Well, the Fantom doesn't sound too bad, though I should have asked how it performs on a large track.

DC is from Lilydale - a large 1/8 th scale track and typically the "lesser/cheaper" engines don't do as well there. How long is the back straight at Lilydale, DC?

Our local track (Dandeong) is smaller and more technical and sheer top end power is less of an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.