Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by esckalayd
Anyone know where in the USA i can get an aluminum rear stiffener? The part that goes from the rear bulkhead (over the clutch) to the radio plate. This is what i am looking for but preferably not from HK.

http://www.saxoracing.com/productshow.asp?id=616
Why would you want that item on the car?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Why would you want that item on the car?
+1

Team drivers are now running either turnbuckles or no brace at all to allow for more flex.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Michael_T
+1

Team drivers are now running either turnbuckles or no brace at all to allow for more flex.
Tracks and traction are a bit different here in the states. I don't need anymore flex and I am looking to stiffen up that area b/c i am chasing an issue with just randomly stripping 2nd gear. It isn't the two speed housing b/c it happens with a new one. Its not the mesh b/c its set properly and both gears would go. The motor isn't moving on the block, unless the high torque is causing it to move slightly (using a multiflex block). The layshaft and layshaft bearings are fine. EPA is right, its not pulling the motor at all. The car was built 3 weeks ago, from the box. The track temp over the weekend was 140+F so i don't know if that plastic piece is getting warm and moving a bit. Trying to figure it out.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Tracks and traction are a bit different here in the states. I don't need anymore flex and I am looking to stiffen up that area b/c i am chasing an issue with just randomly stripping 2nd gear. It isn't the two speed housing b/c it happens with a new one. Its not the mesh b/c its set properly and both gears would go. The motor isn't moving on the block, unless the high torque is causing it to move slightly (using a multiflex block). The layshaft and layshaft bearings are fine. EPA is right, its not pulling the motor at all. The car was built 3 weeks ago, from the box. The track temp over the weekend was 140+F so i don't know if that plastic piece is getting warm and moving a bit. Trying to figure it out.
A couple of guys were stripping 2nd gear at the GLC. It was recommended to put the one piece engine mount on. I guess that worked. No more problems. Is this the '13 car?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
A couple of guys were stripping 2nd gear at the GLC. It was recommended to put the one piece engine mount on. I guess that worked. No more problems. Is this the '13 car?
It is a brand new '13 with the multi-flex motor mount. Which is a one-piece, unless u mean the full brass one? The multi-flex motor mount fixed this on my '12. I don't know if it is the motor mount, the slimmer chassis (more flex) or something else. I have been talking to some fellow team drivers and i am going to look over somethings
Old 09-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

I stripped 2nd gear twice in the main event at the GLC but after the race was over I saw my mesh was too loose. I did not strip any gears prior to the main event and I ran aprox 1 gal of fuel thru the car (brand new 2013 car for this race) in practice. At this point I believe it was just a bad mesh as I did have the engine out of the car right before the main to work on the clutch. The mount I was using is linked below.

The biggest problem with the aluminum brace is sometimes they bend and if they do bend, they don't bend back so basically your car is screwed until you change that piece. I have seen it happen on other cars and the car is pretty ugly until you replace the brace.

The real reason I stripped 2nd gear is because I told Uriah (who qualified just a tick ahead of me) that since he was running an MTX-5 I didn't have to worry about beating him since I "knew" he would strip gears.... BTW: He didn't as far as I know.

http://www.redrc.net/2009/05/xray-nt...-engine-mount/
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

XRAY New Option parts for NT1
Attached Thumbnails Xray NT1-xr-332113.jpg   Xray NT1-xr-332131.jpg   Xray NT1-xr-333111.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

I stripped 2nd gear twice in the main event at the GLC but after the race was over I saw my mesh was too loose. I did not strip any gears prior to the main event and I ran aprox 1 gal of fuel thru the car (brand new 2013 car for this race) in practice. At this point I believe it was just a bad mesh as I did have the engine out of the car right before the main to work on the clutch. The mount I was using is linked below.

The biggest problem with the aluminum brace is sometimes they bend and if they do bend, they don't bend back so basically your car is screwed until you change that piece. I have seen it happen on other cars and the car is pretty ugly until you replace the brace.

The real reason I stripped 2nd gear is because I told Uriah (who qualified just a tick ahead of me) that since he was running an MTX-5 I didn't have to worry about beating him since I "knew" he would strip gears.... BTW: He didn't as far as I know.

http://www.redrc.net/2009/05/xray-nt...-engine-mount/
That is too funny. Uriah was at the first FORGASS race this weekend too and bumped from the B to the A and his car looked good. Something similar i said to another Mugen driver when he stripped 2nd twice on Sunday, told him he should come back to xray so he stops stripping 2nd...lol. Spoke too soon. I have that block brand new in the package but i have been using this one (http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...l?pn=XRA338712). I will take it off the chassis and see if it is tweaked. I really think i over looked the clutch bearings on this one. After talking to some more team drivers, its the only thing that makes sense.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Scott,

Was wondering what happen to you in the main

Either way, for the whole event your car and you where blazing fast... It was nice to run W/U again... Good luck at the Natts!!

I ran both the stock standard flex mount for the 13' and also the Brass which the Brass felt better balanced to me as suggested by Ralph

The only thing I have ever noticed historically with stripping of any gears. Which maybe happened only few times considering, were if my pinions where chunked or had any bit of Knicks, even if there were only few teeth with them, also if they were worn down and where as sharp as a razor would I have ever experience stripping of any gears (spurs) or other then Scott had mentioned if my mesh was way off

Hope this helps anyone who had concerns on previous posts regarding stripped gears...

Oh and stay off the BURMS if your track has them, there like a dentist and like to pull teeth lol
Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I have been having this loose rear end issue ever since I put adjustable rear anti roll bar. Is there big difference between wire and bar types? I hadn't made any changes before or after that.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeCruz
Hey Scott,

Was wondering what happen to you in the main

Either way, for the whole event your car and you where blazing fast... It was nice to run W/U again... Good luck at the Natts!!

I ran both the stock standard flex mount for the 13' and also the Brass which the Brass felt better balanced to me as suggested by Ralph

The only thing I have ever noticed historically with stripping of any gears. Which maybe happened only few times considering, were if my pinions where chunked or had any bit of Knicks, even if there were only few teeth with them, also if they were worn down and where as sharp as a razor would I have ever experience stripping of any gears (spurs) or other then Scott had mentioned if my mesh was way off

Hope this helps anyone who had concerns on previous posts regarding stripped gears...

Oh and stay off the BURMS if your track has them, there like a dentist and like to pull teeth lol
Nice seeing you again Mike. (I popped a glow plug as well pretty early.) I actually put on a new 1st gear pinion as mine are starting to look a bit worn and just got a few new ones from Ralph on Friday. I am really happy with the new car after the 1st race. Like I said I am pretty sure it was a loose mesh as I checked it after the race and it was not how I like to run it. I might try the brass mount as I know Ralph likes the balance better but I did not even bring one with me to Ohio. Hopefully it will all be like normal next week at the Nats.

Thanks and hopefully I will see you again next year.

Scott
Old 09-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snuvet75
I have been having this loose rear end issue ever since I put adjustable rear anti roll bar. Is there big difference between wire and bar types? I hadn't made any changes before or after that.
If its too stiff then it will make the car as you describe. You kinda answered your own question with regards to "Is there a big difference between the wire and bar type". Try putting the wire bar back on. I don't know anybody that runs a blade on the rear of the car. The wire bars are the way to go.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If its too stiff then it will make the car as you describe. You kinda answered your own question with regards to "Is there a big difference between the wire and bar type". Try putting the wire bar back on. I don't know anybody that runs a blade on the rear of the car. The wire bars are the way to go.
I don't disagree with you. My question was not what the stiff bar setting would do though. It seems that the blade type, even when it's set at its lowest stiffness setting, gives too much of anti roll effect. And this basically concurs with your statement. Well, I will just take your recommendation Scott. Thanks,
Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Nice seeing you again Mike. (I popped a glow plug as well pretty early.) I actually put on a new 1st gear pinion as mine are starting to look a bit worn and just got a few new ones from Ralph on Friday. I am really happy with the new car after the 1st race. Like I said I am pretty sure it was a loose mesh as I checked it after the race and it was not how I like to run it. I might try the brass mount as I know Ralph likes the balance better but I did not even bring one with me to Ohio. Hopefully it will all be like normal next week at the Nats.

Thanks and hopefully I will see you again next year.

Scott
It would make sense that the brass mount would give a better balance. I put the new car with no tires on a chassis balance system and it tends to fall to the side of the radio box since there isn't enough weight on the exhaust side. I am just not sure how much more weight it will add to the car. Keeping in mind power to weight ratio, you want to live right on the edge
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It would make sense that the brass mount would give a better balance. I put the new car with no tires on a chassis balance system and it tends to fall to the side of the radio box since there isn't enough weight on the exhaust side. I am just not sure how much more weight it will add to the car. Keeping in mind power to weight ratio, you want to live right on the edge
Try not to get DQ'd for weight while living on the edge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.