Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2007 1/8th Scale On-Road Nationals Las Vegas Sept 7th-9th

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 AM
rjr
Tech Adept

"Your race fees go to ROAR and Cover thursday controlled pratice,Friday,Saturday and Sunday racing."

Well, SOME of it goes to ROAR, not all of it. The track will make $3000 minimum, if you do NONE of the below. From the Nationals Guidelines:

"The Host will receive $3,000 as a guaranteed fee from the ROAR Administrator for hosting the event to be paid as follows:
$2000 ninety days prior to the event.
$1000 upon event completion (final day)
The Host will also receive $30 for each entry exceeding an entry count of 150 entries to be paid from the Administrator’s office within ten days of the event completion.
The Host retains all other monies received including:
sponsorship funds
table rental fees:
Open or indoor 2’ x 4’ table and chair pit space - $15 max
Covered 2' x 4’ table and chair pit space - $35 max.
concessions
tee shirt sales and race souvenirs
additional handout motor and tires sales (see handouts section.)
raffle monies received for products designated for raffle by the manufacturers."

The potential is there to make $3000 to $5000, or more, WITHOUT charging for practice. So, I guess I have to ask again, "Why the charge for additional practice days?" Quite frankly, Wednesday should be a free, full day of practice and Monday and Tuesday the track should be closed.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Initiate

I think this will be a first race i have seen to charge for practice...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Both the Sedan nats last year and the sedan nats several years ago at Revelation charged for extra practice days.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rjr
"Your race fees go to ROAR and Cover thursday controlled pratice,Friday,Saturday and Sunday racing."

Well, SOME of it goes to ROAR, not all of it. The track will make $3000 minimum, if you do NONE of the below. From the Nationals Guidelines:

"The Host will receive $3,000 as a guaranteed fee from the ROAR Administrator for hosting the event to be paid as follows:
$2000 ninety days prior to the event.
$1000 upon event completion (final day)
The Host will also receive $30 for each entry exceeding an entry count of 150 entries to be paid from the Administrator’s office within ten days of the event completion.
The Host retains all other monies received including:
sponsorship funds
table rental fees:
Open or indoor 2’ x 4’ table and chair pit space - $15 max
Covered 2' x 4’ table and chair pit space - $35 max.
concessions
tee shirt sales and race souvenirs
additional handout motor and tires sales (see handouts section.)
raffle monies received for products designated for raffle by the manufacturers."

The potential is there to make $3000 to $5000, or more, WITHOUT charging for practice. So, I guess I have to ask again, "Why the charge for additional practice days?" Quite frankly, Wednesday should be a free, full day of practice and Monday and Tuesday the track should be closed.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs down

With all the fee's someone might get all fee'd out entry 70.00 plus a practice fee just to when a trophy
Old 05-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rjr

The potential is there to make more money. There is going to be sponsorship, but how much and will it be in actual cash, or in mechandise which then has to be sold, or usually raffled off. Of course covered pit space will generate some money, but it costs money to provide. Next thing is the track costs money for every day is gets used. It is not a lot of money, but it does have costs as it is a County Park Facility.

What is your problem with this. With the Race Management Team running the race, the amount of work is less and so is the compensation. I don't know which way the NET profit would come out to more money but why should Wednesday be free and the track closed on Monday and Tuesday?

I have attended two Roar Nats. One was a nitro offroad race about 6 years ago. I don't remember too many details. I am pretty sure that there was no additional charge for practice. I am also pretty sure that there were over 200 entries, some practiced for the whole week and some did not. The other was the 2006 sedan nats. As Garen stated, you had to pay for practice every day until Thursday. That race was a roar RMT race.

If you don't like the way things are ask the fuel committee and the executive committee to change the format for the Nationals. Have it include two days of practice as part of the Nationals format. Of course you are also welcome to submit a Nats bid and then have free practice on Wednesday with a closed track prior to that.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Does the track have a big overhead i know they race just a few times a year. Scott, asking them anything is like getting kicked in the nuts, they run this like they want too. its there rules or nothing else.... trust me i deal with the pres. at all my races in the southwest series....
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

There isn't a ton of overhead, but it is mostly done by the operator. The county does not own the drivers stand, the blowers, the tractor, the chemicals, the air compressors, the tire truing station, the power boards, the PA system, timing and scoring etc etc. The county does pay for the materials for some of the maintenance, but they don't do the labor. The county also does not pay much if anything for any vandalism that occurs.

There is not a lot of overhead, and there is not a lot of racing to pay for the overhead.

This race is the premiere Roar event for onroad nitro racing. I would expect to spend more money on this event that almost any other I am attending. Pretty much every race I have attended you got one day of free practice included in the program. If you wanted to show up two or three days earlier, you had to pay for the track time. Most events people don't show up that early as it is not an important enough event to warrant doing so. This is the Nats. If the event is important enough to show up three days early, I don't think the practice fee is a significant amount of money.

I do think Roar should have as part of their bid form, the cost of practice. OR, they should cap the cost of practice for these events to prevent somebody from getting out of hand. I did state that to Roar last year.

If track owners were getting rich then there would be a lot more of them. If the nats were such a money making event then there would be dozens of bids. There isn't. I think a lot of tracks don't bid for the nats because it is a lot of work to host and many don't have the facility to host a good nats. Some of them don't have the facility, because it is a lot of money and work with not much reward.

Thats what I think.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

In order to practice Mon., Tue. & Wed. you need to do the following, at a minimum:

1. rent the track from Clark Co. Parks & Rec. There is a daily charge
2. have a current Clark Co. business liscense
3. have your own liability insuranse policy (these are not ROAR practice days) naming the County as an additional insured
4. rent a blower
5. buy sprayers
6. buy sugar water
7. buy VHT
8. plan on at least 2 people, 4 hours each to prep the track
9. be prepared to re-prep after any dust devil comes through, and each morning as required
10. provide ac power
11. provide compressed air

I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten, but I think you get the drift.
There ain't no Santa Claus, and there ain't enough money in this to grow our hobby. We should be thankful that Rich is willing to take time off from work to do this for us. Without him there would BE NO TRACK.

Last edited by clmbia45; 05-17-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Initiate

The more information the better to help understand why it cost to do this. I have been racing for longer than some others and years ago this was all rolled in to the race week. I understand how times change and people need more money to survive in business. Take the winter nats 7 days of racing now thats FUN....
Old 05-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC500
The more information the better to help understand why it cost to do this. I have been racing for longer than some others and years ago this was all rolled in to the race week. I understand how times change and people need more money to survive in business. Take the winter nats 7 days of racing now thats FUN....

I have been racing for a while too. Not as long as some. The thing that I think that has changed is the Race Management Team. Before the Roar people get upset, I want to state I like the races run by the RMT. The big thing is that while the track operator has less work to do, there is a lot less money as well. I think that is why we are seeing some things change in the fee structures of the racing. It is worth it to me to pay a bit more as I get a very structured race management.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default ROAR NATIONALS

Scott,

Just what are you trying to say. Something like.................. you have to spend money to make money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or their is no free lunch.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

I will try and be more clear. Before the RMT, the tracks made more money on the nationals as they kept the entry fees as well as all the other nats revenues. Now they get a flat rate from the entry fees which is less money. They are looking for other avenues to make money from hosting the Nats.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Default Covered Pit space

If you would like to reserve your covered pit space you can now do that a couple way. I have it available on the TeamTaylorRacing.com site or you can call us,if you call you must speak with us. Please keep in mind space is limited.
RT
Old 05-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Tech Adept

Just to let you guys that have been racing at the races in Vegas that last few years. I am a member of the RMT and will be calling the Nats there this year.
I am looking forward to this race. Should be some awsome racing.

Mike Braun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.