Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sow&Steady
I don't know the dimensions of the Futaba one but the Spektrum one fits perfectly.
yes, because the spektrum receiver doesn't have this inside antenna thing were the "extra" antenna wire comes out, youl'll see it on the picture. Dont know how i can call that...

its to high to mount the receiver flipped around 180° because the space between the servo and the backplate of the receiver mounting ist to small (if you cut hole in it, like me... )
Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't have a Futaba receiver but it looks like there's a way to install it by looking at that picture.

1. The receiver needs to be installed with the connections facing the inside of the car.
2. The plastic holder where you double sided tape the receiver on needs to be cut maybe halfway or up to where it would clear the "antenna thing" that is sticking out.
3. Double sided tape the receiver to the remaining plastic and wrap electrical tape like you would on a regular receiver installation and go on with the cover installation.

Again, this is just an assumption based on the picture you posted. Check it and see if the steps above will work (I think it will ). Good luck man! Let us know how it goes...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Guys

Thanks for all your replies... I am a bit disappointed with my current ride (G4S) with the fact it is hopup king just to make it go full race distance etc. I am not sure i want to spend any more money on R/C this year though with only a couple of meets left of racing for the year...

SN
Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Also,

does the kit require universals up front, I remember the dogbones on S710 were soft an prone to breaking on impact. Do i need any setup tools to make building the centax any easier???

SN
Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by S710_Nut
Also,

does the kit require universals up front, I remember the dogbones on S710 were soft an prone to breaking on impact. Do i need any setup tools to make building the centax any easier???

SN
the universals makes the car runs smoother so i suggest to get one for your car
Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Also,

SN
Serpent made a tool to make the adjustment of the centax clutch easier, with this tool you can adjust the tension of the spring externally, part number for the tool is #909598, but a tool to make building the centax clutch easier, I don't think there is one.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Also,

SN
No, the kit does not require a universal up front. Like I mentioned earlier, just make sure you shim it with an oring (one in each side of the outdrives). And just like the name says, the universals are optionals so the kit doesn't require it but can be an option part.

Building the centax is pretty easy. The kit includes the pinion tools as well as the centax adjustment tool.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wazee
yes, because the spektrum receiver doesn't have this inside antenna thing were the "extra" antenna wire comes out, youl'll see it on the picture. Dont know how i can call that...

its to high to mount the receiver flipped around 180° because the space between the servo and the backplate of the receiver mounting ist to small (if you cut hole in it, like me... )
OK, I see it.

So does it touch the throttle servo even after you cut some part of the radio box?

An alternative is to do what some pro drivers in Europe do, they ONLY use the radio box's backplate to hold the Rx. They just tape the Rx to it.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jo Gutierrez
I don't have a Futaba receiver but it looks like there's a way to install it by looking at that picture.

1. The receiver needs to be installed with the connections facing the inside of the car.
2. The plastic holder where you double sided tape the receiver on needs to be cut maybe halfway or up to where it would clear the "antenna thing" that is sticking out.
3. Double sided tape the receiver to the remaining plastic and wrap electrical tape like you would on a regular receiver installation and go on with the cover installation.

Again, this is just an assumption based on the picture you posted. Check it and see if the steps above will work (I think it will ). Good luck man! Let us know how it goes...
Very good Jo. I thought this is what he tried but your description should guarantee that wazee tries it this way.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jo Gutierrez

this was my second attempt to install it, i've used this method to install the old hrs receiver from my 3pk on the 710 but it doesn't work with this receiver on the s720.
Like sow&steady said, even with a cut out of the backplate for the antenna thing it touch the servo.

I had to use 4mm of double sided tape that there was a space between the throttle servo and the receiver.
i wasn't happy with this solution and on taking apart the receiver from the backplate and the tape the futaba cover went completly off.
i was able to put it back on but am still not satisfied with mounting the receiver, searching still for a another way/solution...

buying the m-mod tuning receiver box from the german mugen distributor isn't an option (yet) for 70 $

any other ideas without using the serpent receiver mounting?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Wazee

Sorry the steps didn't work out for you. You said with a 4mm double sided tape it still wouldn't clear the servo... what about mounting the receiver to the cover itself but this time with a thin double sided tape? Will it clear the "antenna thing"? If it still doesn't clear it then the "antenna thing" must be too big. You know, I wonder what that thing is. Because it could only be a plastic deal that routes the antenna out of the receiver box, which IF that is the case then probably it's safe to take it off and have the antenna out just like how the spektrum is. I know Ryan Maifield who is a worlds driver and a Factory Futaba driver. I am not sure if I'll see him tonight but when I do, I will ask him. For now I think Sow&Steady's suggestion will work so you can at least run the car as I've also seen pictures of race cars without the receiver cover.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Jo Gutierrez]Wazee
what about mounting the receiver to the cover itself but this time with a thin double sided tape [QUOTE]

I agree with JO, I've seen it mounted on the receiver cover itself and it actually clears the servo, just cut off the tab completely where the receiver is suppose to be mounted.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Why can't you just mount it with the servo plugs facing outward, without the cover? Will that work?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Belt Tension

Where does everybody put their belt tension on the 720?

Front and Rear?

Default, Loose, or Tight?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

On mine I got
Front = Tight setting
Rear = Default setting (middle)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.