Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by need-4-speed
First off - let me say that I really like my 720 but......
Has anyone had problems with the CVDs breaking easily? If I just tap a wall the CVD is toast. I know, I know just stay off the walls and problem solved, right? However, I have never seen repeated failures like this, EVER. I have gone through 5 CVDs (left and right combined) with less than 1 hour of track time.
Just to clear the air, I am not a nubie. I have been racing at this particular track for 4 years. I also run the 960 which I'm quite good at if I may. I've used quite a few different cars ranging from Mugen to AE to Kyosho to Xray. None of them has broken a CVD. Hell, there are rookie drivers out there banging up the boards and they keep on going. I happen to be the only Serpent guy out there and also the only one with these failures. It's kinda of a bummer. I was just at the track Sunday (went thru 2 CVDs). Since my car was broken I was watching a guy driving a RRR. He hit the walls countless times and nothing happened. Each time he hit with the front of the car I wispered under my breath, "That would have been a CVD".(referring to myself, of course)
Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen...

Same thing here... not that i've done 5 of them :P
Are the CVD's all black or is the part that's inside the bearing 'silver/metal'.. If it's black i think you have the newer CVD's. Those are made somewhere else and i think they have an issue then...

Anybody else have problems with the new CVD's?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

I don't use CVDs in my 720 mostly. At the Euros I stuck in my 710's CVDs and despite a lot of crashes (just ask Cyclops, or even better, get Ray Wood's DVD ) and you'll see. I did not break one CVD but then again these were the original Serpent ones from the 710 era.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback on the CVD issue. This does make me curious though...
1. So what is everyone else using, CVDs or DogBones? If you run DogBones, how do you prevent them from falling out?
2. Could the new bumper design actually be flawed? I know it avoids tweak but it seems to leave the wheels vulnerable.
3. Are there newer versions of the CVDs that are stonger? I looked at Mugen and Kyosho CVDs are they "look" beefier. Can Serpent be convinced to produce an "equivalent" one for the 720?

Just looking for some help here guys.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use dogbones with one rubber o-ring on each of the outdrives for shimming. I don't shim the axle side, only the diff side. The dogbones don't fall out this way even when you have the front wheels turned all the way. The CVD's are nice and I had them in the front, but I managed to break mine after sending my car flying to the wall. I then went back to dogbones and I'm liking them.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by need-4-speed
Thanks for the feedback on the CVD issue. This does make me curious though...
1. So what is everyone else using, CVDs or DogBones? If you run DogBones, how do you prevent them from falling out?
2. Could the new bumper design actually be flawed? I know it avoids tweak but it seems to leave the wheels vulnerable.
3. Are there newer versions of the CVDs that are stonger? I looked at Mugen and Kyosho CVDs are they "look" beefier. Can Serpent be convinced to produce an "equivalent" one for the 720?

Just looking for some help here guys.
Yes, Serpent is coming out with a new beefier CVD shafts.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

I use the CVD's in front, dogbones in rear. But i think i'm going to use them front and rear (the CVD's).
The CVD's do make the car smoother, just run your car with warn out dogbones and you'll know what i mean.

The bumper design is fine if you ask me! I don't know why ppl are complaining about it....
Old 11-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys

Out of the box is there any bling bling bits the car needs to make it reliable or to assist with setting up/ building. Also i will be running a Mega ZX12 legal does the gearing need to be changed at all for this engine...

Look forward to reading your replies
SN
Old 11-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

There are some really cool items from skyline. I use them on my car and they work really well. The front and rear shock towers have more adjustments, the shock bottum caps come in different colors and the light weight shafts are a plus(less retating mass). The body post mounts also make the body post stay more straight for a longer life span. The rear upper arm plate also gives more adjustments. http://www.skylinercracing.com

D.J. Apolaro
Old 11-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by S710_Nut
Hi Guys

Out of the box is there any bling bling bits the car needs to make it reliable or to assist with setting up/ building. Also i will be running a Mega ZX12 legal does the gearing need to be changed at all for this engine...

SN
Out of the box you will be happy with the car, but if you really want to add options that will really help is #803175 Alu radio plate support it further stiffen up the chassis also the one piece engine mount will also stiffen the chassis by the engine area and you might want to check out the Skyline option parts specially made for the 720 check out www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com look it up under the product page that says 720 all the skyline hop ups are there.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Guys

SN
The gears depend on your track. The stock gearing is a good gearing for mid range tracks.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

How about this one http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=178790
Old 11-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Guys

SN
Out of the box the car is very good. It's up to you how you want to hop up the car. Of course we all want our car to be lighter, faster, stronger, and look good at the same time . The rotational mass can be lowered by lightening the 2-speed shaft and the mid shaft. Serpent has the hollow shafts that are spring steel available. Skyline has the hollow shafts available as well. If you want even more tuning options, Skyline has the optional shock towers with more holes than stock. As far as reliability, the car is very reliable out of the box.

The gearing is something that is track dependent whatever motor you got. However, the 720's gearing is very good and I suggest you try it first as you may not have to change it at all.

Have fun building and remember, if you have any more questions during and after building, there's always a bunch of people here that can help .
Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Drive Calculator available for download from mytsn.com!

http://www.mytsn.com/products/downlds.asp?prid=4334

Screen shot of the program....

Last edited by Derby Bros Racing; 11-09-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

might be intressting for some ppl:
i tried to install the new 2.4ghz futaba receiver in the standart 720 receiver "box" but there is absolutly no way it would fit in.
I cutted almost the half of the two plastic parts away to find any possible position or combination but its to big.

Does anybody now if the cover from the mtx3 fit onto the 720 holes or maybe a another receiver box thats a bit bigger and fits on the 720?
except the new aluminium box from mugen...
Old 11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wazee
might be intressting for some ppl:
i tried to install the new 2.4ghz futaba receiver in the standart 720 receiver "box" but there is absolutly no way it would fit in.
I cutted almost the half of the two plastic parts away to find any possible position or combination but its to big.

Does anybody now if the cover from the mtx3 fit onto the 720 holes or maybe a another receiver box thats a bit bigger and fits on the 720?
except the new aluminium box from mugen...
I don't know the dimensions of the Futaba one but the Spektrum one fits perfectly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.